Epcor's 24-hectare river valley solar farm plan faces stiff opposition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epcor's 24-hectare river valley solar farm plan faces stiff opposition

Edmonton residents are invited to have their say next week on a proposed solar farm Epcor is hoping to build in the river valley.

An open house is now scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 13 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Good Shepherd Elementary School gym, 18111 57 Avenue.

The solar farm would be beside the E.L. Smith water treatment plant near the west boundary of the city, at about 35 Avenue and 168 Street near the neighbourhood of Cameron Heights. The land is currently zoned for parkland.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...n-river-valley

Last edited by OffWhyte; 06-02-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Removed duplicate headline

I would consider this site totally inappropriate. Is there not thousands of acres out by Wabamun that was stripmined for coal that could be used?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Wonder how many of these people want green technology then when companies are looking for places to place these panels it's NIMBY time. Solar panels are great as long as I don't have to put up with them type thinking.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
        I would consider this site totally inappropriate. Is there not thousands of acres out by Wabamun that was stripmined for coal that could be used?
        Given:

The intent is that 70 per cent of the energy produced by the solar farm will run the water treatment centre
        stated in the Journal story, why not put it right next to its main user?
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Yes! Pro-alternative, pro-environment! (except for the 'destroying green parkland' bit - sorry bout that.)

Comment

The land is literally a brown field right now, with a bunch of ATV/off-road tracks on it. It is not parkland, nor will it ever be, as it will eventually be used for further expansion of the treatment plant. This seems like a no-brainer, to me.

Comment

Let me remind you that Rundle Park, Grierson Hill (Funicular site) and Strathcona Science Park used to be a City Dump. Hawrelak Park used to be a gravel pit.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

^Are they lots of land owned by EPCOR fur utility use?
                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudly View Post
                  Given:

The intent is that 70 per cent of the energy produced by the solar farm will run the water treatment centre
                  Electricity is pooled so power can be added anywhere in the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudly View Post
                    Given:

Electricity is pooled so power can be added anywhere in the grid.
                    70 per cent of the energy produced by the solar farm will run the water treatment centre
                    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Let me remind you that Rundle Park, Grierson Hill (Funicular site) and Strathcona Science Park used to be a City Dump. Hawrelak Park used to be a gravel pit.
                      What part of "future expansion" wasn't clear?

Comment

So what? So the treatment centre isn't powered by the sun. It's not the end of the world. Expand the solar grid elsewhere and the net benefit to Edmonton will be the same.

Of ALL the empty space in this spread out city, why build it somewhere controversial? Why choose this place of all places? This isn't bloody Tokyo.

Comment

Again, at some point, EL Smith will need to be expanded to serve Edmonton's water and sewage treatment needs. That will happen on the land in question, hence why it is owned by Epcor. It will not be parkland in the future, nor is it even truly parkland right now as it is a stripped field. So in the meantime, Epcor is putting this proposal forward to use the land for a solar plant in the intervening decades.

Comment

They probably realized that if you let it look even a little bit like parkland they will never get it back.

In general though I would like to see more installations like this in already developed locations, like the set that's shading cars in the Londonderry Simons parking lot, and more rooftop installations.
                            There can only be one.

Comment

The better question here is why even have any of that on a floodplain. If and when the river decides to flood that area the plant along with the solar panels would be destroyed. So who thought it was smart idea back when they first put it in?

Comment

Working...
                              X