Kinistinâw Park - Quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree with you.

However I disagree with you on the belief that this city will never revolve around our core. It eventually has to start working inwards. I won't pretend to be some industry expert; in fact I've only began studying urban development (on my own time and not in an academic setting) about a year and a half ago exiting university and moving from the country to the core. What I've seen from this city is that we are reaching a critical mass of outward expansion where long term forecasts are showing that we simply won't be able to manage and maintain all of our infrastructure from roads to schools without more density - we just aren't generating enough monetary capital to take care of our physical capital.

The core will literally be at the centre of this; and it will be developers taking the bold risks to make it happen. However; if I were a politician, I would work very hard ensure that we create sellable features and amenities for them. I don't want to see our city builders taking these risks, investing countless dollars into their projects, and ending up waiting decades for bureaucratic red tape and market economics to do their thing. I would want to see them get a return on their investment as quickly as possible so that they can move to their next project. That means developing parks, building competent mass-transit, creating plaza spaces for artists' marketplaces, disenfranchising illegal lots, ensuring these areas don't regress into drug-havens, and working together with these people - communicating with each other's needs.

That's why I'm receptive about hearing what others have to say regardless of what the stance is. My philosophy may be long-winded and pedantic here but I do believe it is vital to the health of our city that we develop these deserts, attract business large and small, taking care of our business leaders, and creating a population influx by any means necessary. If the can needs to be kicked then don't hesitate; just kick it.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

The City's own most optimistic takes on future growth in the city has the hollowing-out of the core continuing unabated for the next 40 years. The most lofty of projections of growth in Downtown are absolutely dwarfed by the growth at the city's periphery. Even with the last 10-15 years of work on Downtown & over a billion in public spending we've barely been able to slow down the acceleration, much less reverse course.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
        The City's own most optimistic takes on future growth in the city has the hollowing-out of the core continuing unabated for the next 40 years. The most lofty of projections of growth in Downtown are absolutely dwarfed by the growth at the city's periphery. Even with the last 10-15 years of work on Downtown & over a billion in public spending we've barely been able to slow down the acceleration, much less reverse course.
        Spot on mate. I think the only way it happens is through legislation. I don't think a greenbelt is sensible; but I was thinking the other day about "per-capita rated" growth. Meaning that outward expansion can only happen so long as the city gets to a certain level of population density. Something like a floating green belt? If that makes any sense to anyone?

All I know is that we cannot continue on the course you laid out; something which we indeed ARE doing.

Comment

Except we are indeed continuing on the course that's laid out: Look at all that land we're amalgamating outta Leduc, earmarked for yet another "not-Downtown" employment node/nexus. City Administration knows what's going on & are planning accordingly. People will continue to move to new neighborhoods, predominantly in the SW & will continue to work primarily outside of Downtown. The amalgamation is the one way that they can tap into that growth, rather than have it go to the surrounding communities.

So long as Edmonton is bordered on all sides by municipalities & counties that have their own goals & aspirations any attempt to squeeze Edmontonians into a tighter space is beyond futile. And attempting to ram some urbanist agenda down their throats via legislation to make up for Edmonton's lack of proper urban planning would be political suicide.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Reminder

Please join us tomorrow between 4:30pm and 7:30pm at the Boyle Street Plaza to view two preliminary park designs and to share your comments on the designs. Also, please share this invitation with anyone you think may be interested.

Details
            WHAT: Public Open House - Kinistinaw Park Preliminary Design
            WHERE: Boyle Street Plaza, Willow Room (9538-103A Ave)
            DATE: Thursday, March 23rd
            TIME: 4:30pm - 7:30pm (drop-in format)

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Good open house last night, 2 concepts moving forward at the moment. Curious to see what shakes out.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                  Bring back pics for us out of towners.

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                    Except we are indeed continuing on the course that's laid out: Look at all that land we're amalgamating outta Leduc, earmarked for yet another "not-Downtown" employment node/nexus. City Administration knows what's going on & are planning accordingly. People will continue to move to new neighborhoods, predominantly in the SW & will continue to work primarily outside of Downtown. The amalgamation is the one way that they can tap into that growth, rather than have it go to the surrounding communities.

So long as Edmonton is bordered on all sides by municipalities & counties that have their own goals & aspirations any attempt to squeeze Edmontonians into a tighter space is beyond futile. And attempting to ram some urbanist agenda down their throats via legislation to make up for Edmonton's lack of proper urban planning would be political suicide.
                    Just like they knew what was going on with Beaumont lol

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                      Per my comments at the open house last night (not made for the first time):

1. 96 Street needs to remain open to traffic IN BOTH DIRECTIONS all the way from Jasper Avenue to 103A Ave. That includes removing the bollards at Jasper Avenue even if that means 101A Avenue has to "dead end" at a cul-de sac or the lane to keep that intersection functional. This would also help the Hyatt Place immensely as getting to it now other than west bound on Jasper Avenue is awkward/problematic at best. If you need to limit access to Jasper, open the street and close the lane.

2. Where the street narrows in front of the park, take the bike traffic from the west/street side of the park to the east/lane side of the park if widening the street to provide two lanes of traffic through that block is no longer an option.

3. 1 and 2 will provide more visibility to and increase the traffic in front of the desired lane oriented retail fronting the east side of the park.

Adding eyes on the streets at this stage of the Quarters redevelopment is paramount, as is the provision of intuitive access that accommodates cars as well as pedestrians and bikes.

Selling the area to developers and lenders and tenants and customers - particularly for the first time - requires simple, direct and easy access if you want to show it off to those whom you want to buy in. As long as the Quarters stays hidden and disconnected and sequestered, it will continue to struggle no matter how nice some of the public elements you can't get to. Somewhere along the line the fact 96th Street is a street seems to have been lost. Even the new standards for "complete streets", continues to accommodate and not banish cars.
                      Last edited by kcantor; 23-06-2017, 02:20 PM. Reason: corrected streeet reference
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...inaw-park.aspx

Comment

Very nice. Have you heard anything regarding the warehouse park as well? I love me my green spaces.

Comment

Land acquisition work.

Comment

Phase 1 well under U/C.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1174708858519834625
                              @ianoyeg

Comment

Taken September 18, 2019

Downtown construction
                                by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

It was a relatively quiet site when I passed by yesterday. Along with the work done on the sidewalks and street this should look really nice. Now they just need to start having some buildings and businesses and more people to surround the park.
                                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X