Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edmonton mayor makes push for river valley park similar to Vancouver's popular seawall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    This logic that we can't have nice things because 'winter city' has always baffled me.
    In many cases I'd agree, but in the case of government subsidised private operations in the River Valley, there is no way they can survive Winter without a surface parking lot (as well as the massively subsidised rent in the McKinney building).
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
      Edmonton mayor makes push for river valley park similar to Vancouver's popular seawall
      http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/08/1...opular-seawall

Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson proposed a new urban park Wednesday along the North Saskatchewan River, likening it to Vancouver's popular seawall.

The River Valley Alliance is using matching funds from federal and provincial governments to connect riverside pathways right through the capital region. They envision having enhanced facilities like Iveson proposes in heavily used areas during future phases.
      My first reaction was WTF. But on due consideration I like the idea more and more. As the trail is now, the river is hidden and the trail could be alongside any road. A promenade that is open to the view of the water would show the river as the jewel that it is.

I visualize the completed project to be similar to the Victoria Promenade along 100AV from 117ST to 120ST; but greatly enhanced and expanded

A wall that protects the river bank from erosion could be considered as a pilot project to evaluate its effectiveness in other locations that are more prone to flood and erosion; and, as such, would potentially show how to enhance and protect the trail system throughout the river valley.

At the same time, we should learn from the shortcomings of similar projects and make it wide enough to separate various forms of traffic IE 4 metres for 2 opposing lanes for bicycles, 2 metres for 1 lane for inline skates, 2 metres for 1 lane for skateboards, 2 metres for 1 lane for joggers, 2 metres for benches, and 3 metres for pedestrians.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
        In many cases I'd agree, but in the case of government subsidised private operations in the River Valley, there is no way they can survive Winter without a surface parking lot (as well as the massively subsidised rent in the McKinney building).
        As I suggested for LMP ten years ago, I suggest again, let the food trucks have the opportunity to fill the need. There is no point in spending millions to find out that we have another money-sucking white elephant.

Comment

We haven't recieved all the money we need to finish the LRT, where are we getting the money for Iverson's fancy ideas. The taxpayer is going to revolt, wait until we have a carbon tax, even less money to go round.
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

We have money for fancy "seawalls" and yet 1/3 of river valley trails are in bad shape?

http://www.inews880.com/syn/110/1368...in-great-shape

Comment

The one thing that worries me is you can build all sorts of nice things by the river but one high water spring and the raging N. Sask could destroy it.
              Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Working...
              X