Edmonton Central Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Central Park

Hey guys; so I've been hearing rumblings that the city is looking to develop concepts of a new Downtown Central Park. I understand that the idea is in it's infancy and there's quite likely very little in the way of renderings - but I was curious; is the idea to locate this project in and around Jasper House and that fountain tire? If so, how large would it possibly be?

I recently purchased in Monaco 2 which overlooks something of a parking lot wasteland so I something of a passion developing around taking this city to the next level. In my opinion, eliminating these surface lots in this region will not only beautify this city; it will increase the property values and demand for other land surrounding such a project.

Eventually I would like to take a more active role in the community - currently I am in the process of learning of the projects and getting to know everyone - including those I met at DECL the other day.

Any and all information on this project would be great. Thank you!

Regards
    Stevey G.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Hi Stevey_G, welcome to the area!

First I would read as much as you can from the current Capital City Downtown Plan. There is a bit in it about the central warehouse park.

http://www.edmonton.ca/go_downtown/c...town-plan.aspx

Next, you should know that the central warehouse park had a budget approved for land acquisition at last fall's capital budget debates (As part of the community revitalization levy or CRL):

http://www.edmonton.ca/go_downtown/downtown-crl.aspx

There are some graphics from the CCDP that could be posted if someone has the time.
    www.decl.org

Comment

Approved in the Capital Budget 2015-18: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...20budget%20crl
      www.decl.org

Comment

It sure would be great to see more green spaces and mini parks downtown. Little oasis's in the right places where office workers, visitors can have lunch etc. Go for it.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post

Approved in the Capital Budget 2015-18: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...20budget%20crl

That's awesome. I'm gonna read through the downtown plan here and get up to speed on what's happening in my new community. Being a bit of a farmboy from out by Genesee, I'd love to help bring a piece of green-living to this city.

Thanks for the direction to these links man. Future looks bright.

Comment

New Central Park as proposed in the Jasper Avenue New Vision Project

http://www.edmonton.ca/go_downtown/j...ew-vision.aspx

Comment

Edmonton has had a Central Park for decades. In the river valley.

The urban fetishists and downtown community-league hand-clappers have long abandoned it to the homeless.

Just like the park in New York. Well, I guess that's one way they've "succeeded".

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post

The urban fetishists and downtown community-league hand-clappers have long abandoned it to the homeless.

Just like the park in New York. Well, I guess that's one way they've "succeeded".
                You should have a one person show at the Citadel.
                Name it "hyperbole" or is that too literal? You can fluff it up with a few unnecessary adjectives if it suits your style better...

Comment

Just out of curiosity; what would you do different? Not to stray off the topic of a park in the core, but how would you solve said issues?

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post

You should have a one person show at the Citadel.
                    Name it "hyperbole" or is that too literal? You can fluff it up with a few unnecessary adjectives if it suits your style better...
                    Awhh the poor IanO defender is on the attack here.
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

You guys make C2E terrible.
                      www.decl.org

Comment

The discussion on how to reverse homelessness belongs elsewhere. As I've already said in the threads devoted to it, the way to fight it is to put the homeless to work, using incentives and where these fail conscription.

As for the other point, we've been through all of this before. Any proposed parks downtown will certainly become the same as all existing parks downtown -- where you would not allow your children to be alone outside lunch hour -- because the downtown residents do not consider the reality of downtown streets bad, but a feature. The rest of us do not.
                        Last edited by AShetsen; 30-11-2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
                          You guys make C2E terrible.
                          Right back atcha.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

There are great planning reasons for having this park. It's not about where we are. It's where we're going. Part of an award winning downtown plan. We know how to induce development as well. Unfortunately if you're not interested in learning about urban planning or the research behind it your comments come across as ignorant to many. And not particularly helpful. Just negative for the sake of being negative.
                            www.decl.org

Comment

A lot of that proposed park space north of Jasper Ave has no correlation to the footprint of existing buildings.

Comment

Working...
                              X