No announcement yet.

Boat Docks and Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you not. I would love to see a beach at accidental beach and dockings for family boats within the same vicinity.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
      How can you not. I would love to see a beach at accidental beach and dockings for family boats within the same vicinity.
      Yeah, accidental beach would be nice. I'm sure it's there, but water level is too high to reveal it.

There is a very small beach just beside the river boat dock. The water drops off very fast though as the sand in the water is like quicksand. I stepped off the SUP 1' from the edge in water that was 6" deep, but immediately got sucked in up to my waste in the sand. Not exagerrating.

Comment

I was thinking of ways to activate the whole convention centre, promenade, LMP crossing the new LTR bridge to the beach and boat landing. I would also like to see a permanent FM on this area, so they all ride /tide together which could spur Walterdale Power plant at some point. It is hard to explain as I see in my head the physical outcome of that vission. Imagine seeing boats going back and forth, people at the beach or FM ... a cool flea market could also coincide there or at the power plant area.

I been by the beach recouping for last 3 months, so I'm all beach and water right now lol and just got inspired...

Comment

First recommendation: never call it a “flea market”.

(I used to love going to them with my parents but have encountered many people that have negative perceptions of any place selling anything used.)

There’s loads of naming choices on these sorts of markets: market place, craft sale, arts and crafts sales, farmers’ market, garage sale, swap meet, international market place...

We could come up with our own unique name.

Booth City
          Floggerville
          Arts in your hearts
          Neusd for Yoused

I know they are popular in places like Oahu, Palm Springs, etc. And our farmers markets always have non-agricultural non-produce stuff. Things like art, crafts, trinkets etc.

A downtown Crystal Palace marketplace (or some type of glass structure) would be an interesting addition on any disturbed river valley land there. To serve as a transition space from top of bank to the parkland below.

One of the original drawings for the convention centre shown in the Edmonton Journal had the staircase going down the bank to ground level. I always thought that that could have changed the whole popularity of the convention centre for the better. (A grand staircase to the ground level). The convention centre really needs to open out onto and access the river valley and not just overlook it.

Ironic that the funicular’s staircase and walkway mirrored the look and put an elevator at the far end (and a much smaller back facing staircase). “Necessities” for access but losing the whole integrated, nature embracing, look and feel of a walkway or staircase that takes you directly into and out of a natural area from a highly developed area. We now have two of these look-but-don’t-touch “observation decks”.

So the observation deck becomes the destination. This is good because a man-made deck or viewpoint plays a perceptual or psychological trick. Looking out over the valley it’s a place to go. A clean, safe place to go. The problem is that this observation-deck-as-a-destination approach to design, then fails to entice people to continue on to the ground level, the nature level. Instead people stop, look and then turn around and return up the bank.

The staircase should be continuous from top to bottom so the destination is the river valley itself. The observation deck should have jutted off to the side to provide that safe interesting viewpoint destination. Or it should have been a “fork in the road” to equalize the two. An equally weighted choice should have been offered: continue onward to the waters’ edge, or, continue on to the observation deck. As is the small revered staircase is clearly made out to be “the path less followed”.

See there’s a “grain of truth” behind many cliches.
          Last edited by KC; 26-08-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Sure, give it an interesting name. I was merely suggesting that aspect. Perhaps something like Secondland Market...
            Further to that, set up a go fund me page for a continuous flower garden akin to something Victoria has that tides all these venues together so it appears one big encompassed area.

Comment

Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
              Sure, give it an interesting name. I was merely suggesting that aspect. Perhaps something like Secondland Market...
              Further to that, set up a go fund me page for a continuous flower garden akin to something Victoria has that tides all these venues together so it appears one big encompassed area.
              Visual barriers are huge impediments to traffic flow. For decades I watched the people-flow on Whyte reach the tracks and do a U-Turn. Always felt that the City should expropriate the used car lots and develop that land near the tracks to remove that perceptual barrier of open land so that they could recoup multiples of their cost through improved property values all down east-of-tracks Whyte Avenue. That situation has finally improved somewhat but decades of lost opportunity and lost vibrancy passed them by.

Comment

Working...
              X