Nicest Picnic Locations Centrally Located

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicest Picnic Locations Centrally Located

Anyone have any hidden gems outside of the usual Hawrelak Park's etc? Would prefer to avoid crowds.

Headed out with the better half Saturday.

Government House park below the Royal Alberta Museum have awesome spots above the trees.

Goldbar park
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

The north LRT line to Nait I hear is a quiet area. Certainly no crowds
      Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

the strip of park at the east end of riverdale has some lovely picnic spots off of the path that are easy to get to by bike ot there is transit and street parking on 87th street. there are some picnic tables. they are small spaces in the river valley canopy so they won't have a lot of direct sunshine but they are quiet. further north towards the dawson bridge there are some benches on the trail that overlook the river and if you continue north of the dawson bridge/rowland road there is a larger picnic pavilion building and more open space right in kinnaird park on the west side of the river across from the riverside golf course (the two locations that should have been proposed for expo).
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Legislature grounds
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

East end of Emily Murphy Park. Government Hill Park. Picnic areas just north of Mill Creek Pool
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Thanks everyone, great suggestions

Comment

MacKinnon Ravine is another good one.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                  MacKinnon Ravine is another good one.
                  Maybe along the river and closer to Government House Park. The ravine itself these days is growing back quite a bit of the trees/bushes that were cut down 30 years ago, and there's not really a lot of picnic space in it any longer. The trail is also extremely well used, so you'd be sitting only a few feet from large number of people whizzing by on bikes, rollerblades and the like.

I'd agree with Ken, there's some nice spots North of the river past the Dawson Bridge that are nice and quiet. Not nearly as much foot/bike traffic on the paths there. The Legislature grounds are great as well, although they can get pretty busy on a nice day.

Comment

Borden park seemed pretty large and well built for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                      Maybe along the river and closer to Government House Park. The ravine itself these days is growing back quite a bit of the trees/bushes that were cut down 30 years ago, and there's not really a lot of picnic space in it any longer. The trail is also extremely well used, so you'd be sitting only a few feet from large number of people whizzing by on bikes, rollerblades and the like.
                      Oh, just read thing about privacy, true. Another really nice one, but not so central, is down near the zoo. You basically drive past the zoo and there's are various picnic areas not far from baseball field (not the other side, which is dog park). That one is amazing in fall.

Comment

Yeah, Laurier Park is very nice. But also extremely busy on nice days. Past the dog park and foot bridge North there's lots of walking/bike trails and the occasional clearing that would be a bit more secluded.

Comment

Legislature east grounds.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

My wife and I are big on picnics.

My favourite urban picnic -- Caboto park. Pick up the cold cuts, bread, and cheese at Italian centre and you're good to go.

Otherwise -- Anywhere in the River Valley? Some nice spots in Mill Creek Ravine that are nice and quiet.

Comment

Yeah, Mill Creek Ravine has some good spots. There's a bench up on a hill overlooking the creek:

https://goo.gl/maps/r0e0h

They also have some secluded spots throughout the ravine. I love exploring the various trails (and bridges) down there.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X