New beach and wading area - Hawrelak park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New beach and wading area - Hawrelak park

EDMONTON - The city released new sketches Thursday of a possible $5-million beach at Hawrelak Park and said construction could start as early as this fall.

Consultants with Stantec proposed a shallow wading area and sandy area between the existing lake and the main parking lot. The feature would include boardwalk, outdoor showers and lockers, and lots of space for picnic tables, umbrellas and sunbathers.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...883/story.html

About time!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Now we just have to improve transit connections to the park.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
        Now we just have to improve transit connections to the park.
        Transit isn't too bad, all things being considered, though I'll agree it can be improved a bit. The 128 and 130 both offer service to and from University Station. You do have to hike a bit from by Emily Murphy park when arriving from University, but given the road and crosswalk configuration in the area, I don't see a way around that.

You can also catch the 130 at Jasper and 116 Street heading southbound to get to the park.

It would improve things if both routes ran to a later hour on the weekend. In addition to providing better evening access to park during our long summers, this would provide better access between from Oliver to NAIT and the UofA, and Castledowns and Westmount to the UofA, for those students who need to work late on the weekend on either campus, or wish to participate in an extracurricular activity like sports.

With the beach, would there be enough demand to make a seasonal minibus route from the UofA into the heart of the park? You could also extend it to run between Jasper Ave /116 street to the UofA, and have it run to Government House Park, the Victoria Golf Course, Emily Murphy Park, and Hawrelak Park.
        Last edited by Ustauk; 21-02-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

The upside is its a cheap cab ride from dt too.

Comment

This is so awesome!!! I hope it ends up being a good size so lots of people can really enjoy it (unlike the new Queen Elizabeth pool which was almost always over capacity in the Summer).

Bonus for me is I can bike there in about 20 minutes .

Comment

How is that sand gonna fair when all those migrating Canada goose land on it. It will have to be sifted, cleaned in the spring. If they can do this it will be a nice addition to the park.
              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Looks good, but without an LRT stop right at the park it will get a fraction of the use it could otherwise.
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Likely more Canada goose there than Canada people.

Comment

Love it. The EFCL is also putting in a new addition near the SEC of the lake.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                      Looks good, but without an LRT stop right at the park it will get a fraction of the use it could otherwise.
                      I can't see a realistic way to give the park it's own LRT stop but if the 87th ave route had been chosen a stop at the zoo could have been added. Extend the streetcar from Ft. Edmonton to the Zoo and then onto Hawralak park and we would have been golden.

Comment

So it went from a $60 million project to a $5 million project.
                        Sounds like from riches to rags.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...elak-park.html

Comment

^ According to that article, the $60 million project involved turning the lake into a swimming pool. Rather overdone for what's actually needed...though the article did go on to say that the bureaucrats didn't have a clue what was being asked for.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

So the rendering accompanying the article shows people bathing in what appears to be river water?...
                            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Lake water. They have triathlons in it, should be safe.
                              Go down a few dark alleys.

Comment

Working...
                              X