Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we allow things like this along the river?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cactus Club, meh.

But definitely, our city's interaction with the valley and river is seriously lacking.

We make Nahanni Ntl Park look commercialized. Time to introduce Edmontonians to the soul of Edmonton. (Read NSR valley not DT)
    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
      Yes. Yes we should.

And we shouldn't just allow it. We should encourage it.
      Abso-effing-lutely.

All the best cities interact with their rivers. Edmonton's just divides the city, and in places, even makes the place seem more desolate than it actually is.
      "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny199r View Post
        Rossdale would be good, such an underused/underdeveloped area. It seems like a waste.
        Until this happens

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

/\And yet massive residential redevelopment was allowed on the exact areas pictured above.

Comment

Pictures prior to flood control via upstream dam, no longer relevant.
            Post not even worth recognizing in terms of this discussion.

Comment

^There are dams on the Bow river too, but the reservoirs don't have infinite capacity. Last June Calgary found out what happens when that capacity is exceeded. The same can and will happen on the North Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                ^There are dams on the Bow river too, but the reservoirs don't have infinite capacity. Last June Calgary found out what happens when that capacity is exceeded. The same can and will happen on the North Saskatchewan.
                http://www.envinfo.gov.ab.ca/FloodHazard/

The areas along the river that are already developed are in the flood plain...so again what relevance did those photos have? Fear mongering?

What am I missing that you are seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                  Wrong. The NSR has flooded 5 times since the Bighorn dam was built includingg this year. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Saskatchewan_River

Floods can and have happened since the dams have been built including recent flooding of the condos along 98th Ave. The dams do reduce the severity but are too far up the NSR basin to prevent local flooding due to severe rain fall and accellerated snow melt. Moreover, flooding can easily happen due to ice jams that can form in a few hours during spring breakup.
                  Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-12-2013, 05:01 PM.
                  Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                    Originally posted by DanC View Post
                    Wrong. The NSR has flooded 5 times since the Bighorn dam was built includingg this year. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Saskatchewan_River

Floods can and have happened since the dams have been built including recent flooding of the condos along 98th Ave. The dams do reduce the severity but are too far up the NSR basin to prevent local flooding due to severe rain fall and accellerated snow melt. Moreover, flooding can easily happen due to ice jams that can form in a few hours during spring breakup.
                    We are talking about Rossdale are we not?
                    See the link I posted above, according to the GOA, the areas of Rossdale that are already developed are in the flood plain, the areas yet to be developed are not.

Again, how are the photos you posted relevant in the context of the area that was being discussed, IE the build out of Rossdale?

Comment

Have you read the limitations? It is based upon a 100 year flood event. It is not a guarantee that higher flooding levels are possible. I am not saying that the area will flood but it is a concern depending in which area site in Rossdale you are speaking.

If the location is properly evaluated and protected, I am for more development in the area. We just have had some poor sites selected in the recent past don't you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                        Have you read the limitations? It is based upon a 100 year flood event. It is not a guarantee that higher flooding levels are possible. I am not saying that the area will flood but it is a concern depending in which area site in Rossdale you are speaking.

If the location is properly evaluated and protected, I am for more development in the area. We just have had some poor sites selected in the recent past don't you agree?
                        I'm not sure I agree, if you are speaking of Alberta as a whole, there are some. Predominantly I find that the major areas that were affected had development for a long time (I mean you'll have define recent...to me 20-30 years of building is not recent), as a whole the oldest areas of both major cities are most susceptible to flood damage. So are recent choices to blame, not really, the seem to be a small portion of the problem.

It terms of planning beyond the 100 year flood plane, you can plan for any contingency and avoid all risk, but you also lose the related rewards.

So, the hyperbole of those pictures, and the fact they are out of context as the dam is now built and a similar event has never occurred, is useless in this conversation and only serves to distort the risks upwards...falsely, so let's leave that out of the discussion all together.

Comment

Cloverdale Jul 12, 2013

The Landing condo was built only 10 years ago on a known floodplain.

But I do still agree that there should be something built in the raised areas of Rossdale to attract people.

Comment

Working...
                          X