Alex Decoteau Park - 105st and 102ave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Decoteau Park - 105st and 102ave

I thought some of you might be interested to know that the City purchased 'the Scott property' a couple of years ago and we (the downtown community league et al) have started working on some initial planning and ideas for the site. This is very exciting and could make that corner a new destination for the community and downtown workers.

Please post some thoughts as to what you might like to see there or pictures that illustrate the same.

What do you want to see, what should be incorporated, what could be?

Also, please make it known that this is needed, that the City should commit funds to THIS site, and that downtown NEEDS more greenspace.
    ---------------------------

Site: 105st/102ave - North West Corner

--------------------------

Personally I am a huge fan of Emery Barnes park on the edge of yaletown in Vancouver.

(http://yaletown.ca/wp-content/upload...meryBarnes.gif)

(http://activerain.com/image_store/up...2009603367.jpg)

(http://pricetags.files.wordpress.com...PG?w=248&h=317)

(http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5760/p1200711.jpg)

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I like the last pic.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^yup... open and safe yet an oasis of sorts from the urban jungle.

Comment

I like that park. No fences, no weird hills or anything. 95% usable space, very open and welcoming.

Maybe incorporate a toilet? Drinking fountain? I'd say no to the off leash park... there's enough problems downtown without stupid barking and dog turds.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^as a dog owner though, and there are many downtown, it would be nice to have a dedicated space... fenced... separate.

Comment

Yes!!!!!

Also pet friendly with a off leash area... there are not many green areas for dogs downtown..

Comment

^Because dogs are crappy pets in crowded spaces. Nobody likes anyone else's dog. Live on a farm? Dogs are fine. Live in the city? Get a cat. They're quiet.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^are you kidding? I truly hope so. Keep on topic.

Comment

Include a bike rack, some of those slim cigarette disposals, and design the benches and any railing to be skateboarder-friendly (ie, grinding won't destroy the object or board).

Comment

Big fan of that particular park/idea. I'm actually a big fan of anything that makes downtown more "suburban" in a sense. Not to say we need row houses and narrow-winding streets/cul-de-sacs, but simply more walkable, friendly and...fresh? I don't really know how to explain what I mean better than "fresh."

Comment

Please stay tuned as there will be a survey on www.decl.org for this site.

very exciting, spread the word!

Comment

^You mean anything other than narrow sidewalks butting up against graffiti covered brick walls surrounded by sterile gravel parking lots?

I think "fresh" is exactly what we need.

Comment

No fences will be huge. Keep it as open as possible. I like the pictures you have posted so far.
                          youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                          facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

To echo the 'open' comment, I have been realizing that the good point someone here made about what's lacking in Beaver Hills Park--it is obstructed from view along Jasper and 105th--applies to Sir Winston Chuchill Square too; what should be a majestic view looking north along 102ave has a whole bunch of Stuff blocking it.

Open! Also think a dogpark is a good idea.
                            I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I wonder if designers have a hard time balancing the "inviting" aspect of keeping spaces like these open, and the "quiet respite" aspect of blocking out the surroundings?

Obviously, we should be embracing the urban fabric, so blocking things out shouldn't really factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X