No announcement yet.

100 years since the end of The War to End All Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and those who continue to serve all over the world and at home.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post

The vast majority of military personnel aren’t on the front lines if that’s what you mean by active combat. The majority are support. I think it’s anywhere from 2 out of 3 to 8 out of ten are support. (Tooth to tail ratio stuff.)Attrition moved them to the front lines so they are potentially putting their lives on the line.
      That's true. I had an uncle who never left Aldershot (a large Army base in southern England) for the whole duration of the war. And my father who was RAF ground crew loading bombs onto Lancasters, Halifaxes, etc. at an airfield in the countryside of eastern England the whole time, while another uncle was involved in the D-day landings. Bless 'em all.
      Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

It gets harder to watch Remembrance Day ceremonies without recalling Paul Gross' Michael Dunn character in Passchendaele saying:

"Forests burn 'cos they have to and oceans they go up and down 'cos they have to. I don't think we're that different. If you want to get through this you have to start seeing it for what it is. It's something we do all the time because we're good at it. And we're good at it because we're used to it. And we're used to it because we do it all the time."

By most accounts 600,000 young men died in the mud in Passchendaele as its possession moved from one side to the other and then back again... as well as remembering what is now more than a century later, perhaps it's something we need to become less good at by doing less of it.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

On one of my stays in Costa Rica someone mentioned to me that they eliminated their military and used those funds instead for health care developing one of the best health care systems in the region.
          Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Working...
          X