• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neon museum a bright idea

Neon museum a bright idea
    -- Beautify city core with old signs from heritage buildings, plan suggests

Gordon Kent, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 1:31 am September 09, 2008

The future of downtown Edmonton will be brighter under a proposal to create what's believed to be Canada's only outdoor neon sign museum.

The idea is one of the suggestions in the draft downtown plan aimed at ensuring the city core remains a major cultural and entertainment destination, planner Colton Kirsop said Monday.

"The city has a lot of old, historic neon signs that we have collected off heritage buildings that didn't survive to the present day, and other neon signs from notable buildings that maybe weren't heritage but were unique or iconic signs people would remember."

Link:
    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...e-9c7b1bab5443

Excellent idea!

Comment

This is by far one of the coolest ideas ever. And the best place for it is right behind the museum on the square (you know, the one that's always empty?).

Comment

Molson Square would be a great idea. I guess they'd just be mounted up high on posts to keep them safe?

Comment

Originally posted by newfangled View Post
          Molson Square would be a great idea. I guess they'd just be mounted up high on posts to keep them safe?
          I don't mind if they're mounted out of reach... If there's as many signs sitting in storage as the article suggests, I would love to see them stretch from Molson Square all the way down RHW.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
            Originally posted by newfangled View Post
            I don't mind if they're mounted out of reach... If there's as many signs sitting in storage as the article suggests, I would love to see them stretch from Molson Square all the way down RHW.
            If there is that many of them, why not go all the way?

Incorporate them into the whole downtown, and include them in new development (read: The Quarters). Include a little information about the business they were used for, maybe even the original building they were on. Turn the whole thing into a downtown/Quarters walking tour and give out maps everywhere.

Comment

love the idea..

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Yes, very cool. A walking tour would be awesome too... but only once the Quarters is at least half developed, otherwise, who's going to want to walk through that neighborhood to see a bunch of old signs. At this point, I think the Quarters is off limits, but sometime in the future, this will definitely change.

Comment

I'm all for it. That's one of the most original ideas I've seen in a long time. I do know that the
                  old Mike's News Stand sign is sitting in storage at the Edmonton Archives. Would love to see that one again. Do you remember it? It's a man reading the Toronto Star Weekly, and he has his legs crossed, and one leg swings back and forth.
                  Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                    Yes, very cool. A walking tour would be awesome too... but only once the Quarters is at least half developed, otherwise, who's going to want to walk through that neighborhood to see a bunch of old signs. At this point, I think the Quarters is off limits, but sometime in the future, this will definitely change.
                    Yep, make it part of the development, so that as the Quarters grows, the amount of signs displayed grows. Of course, if we were ever to build a new, large, realatively window-less building downtown, (cough-arena-cough) they could be incorporated there, as well.

Wise man say, people will flock to downtown when there is enough (as each person defines it) things to see and do.

Comment

This is truely a fantastic idea!
                      River City of Light
                      Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Love this too.

Is this unanimous?
                        Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

I love this idea! It is definatly somthing unique and will draw attention. I do have a concern with it appearing tacky though.

Comment

Terrible idea. Aren't we trying to be more energy efficient? Neon signs require a lot of energy.

Now if they were to use new LED technology, it would be a better idea.
                            aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                              Terrible idea. Aren't we trying to be more energy efficient? Neon signs require a lot of energy.

Now if they were to use new LED technology, it would be a better idea.
                              Yes, every efforts are being made to be more energy efficient (as we should) BUT these are old or unique signs that were created using neon technology.

Using them, especially as a draw/attraction makes a whole lot more sense then to let them be forgotten IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X