I remember when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KC View Post
    Gee I’d have loved to be able to see that house!

Capilano historical mansion?

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...orical-mansion
    I didn't know of the sale until I was driving in the area today. Complete fluke that we happened upon it. They were even remvoing all the signs by the time we arrived as I believe they had had more visitors than they wanted or could handle. It was fairly crowded.

Had I known of the Estate Sale in advance, or even about this property at all, I would have cited it here in advance.

People still might be able to look there this afternoon if they see this and have time. Its just East of 5oth street on or about 106ave.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• Old aerial photo of the house and property:

The Glenbow Museum > Archives Photographs Search Results

Image No: PA-3796-2

Title: Aerial view of Gold Bar farm, near Edmonton, Alberta.

Date: [ca. 1945]

Remarks: Owned by Claude Gallinger from the 1930s to the 1950s.

Subject(s): Edmonton area, Alberta - Farms / Farms / Gold Bar Farm, Edmonton area, Alberta”

http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archiv...ResultsDetails

Comment

• CBC has an article about Alberta's 75th Anniversary celebrations in 1980.

Funny thing, I clearly remember that logo, which was on a lot of stickers at the time. And I vaguely remember participating in some events, but I can't recall what they were.

Comment

• ^ Didn't Edmonton build the High Level Bridge waterfall to celebrate the 75th anniversary?

Comment

• Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
            ^ Didn't Edmonton build the High Level Bridge waterfall to celebrate the 75th anniversary?
            Hm. I remember that as opening up a little later than 1980. Not sure, though. Maybe it was announced for the anniversary, but built later?

Comment

• Wikipedia would seem to confirm that you were correct, North Guy. Opened in 1980 for the 75th.

Comment

• I remember in the late 1970s, there was a yo-yo revival, and a young salesman(probably a teenager, actually) would come to our elementary-school playground at recess and show us how to do tricks with yo-yos made by the Duncan Toy Company.

Let's just say, I don't think that job would fly today. Even at the time, when the guy invited us to some sort of yo-yo competition at a nearby corner store(where I assume they were selling the yo-yos), one of my friends warned me not to go because "he might take you to a place where you can't get home".

These days, the guy'd be lucky not to get himself on a YouTube video called "Creep Hanging Around Playground And Showing His Yo-yo". Which would actually be not a bad description.

Comment

Working...
                X