No announcement yet.

Old Photos Scanned in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old windows were too narrow for seniors housing though, the new ones more practical... okay uglier too.

They did similar (albeit less drastic changes) to the Rosedale Manor, this former office building, before it looked like a mini AGT building with gold reflective windows.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,25.9,,0,-12.1

Comment

Edmonton really seemed like a city that had everything going for itback then.

Comment

^No more and no less than now. Don't kid yourselves, even during the seventies boom it was a smaller, uglier, and more boring city than it is now.

The point, though, is that Calgary was MUCH WORSE in 1976. And then it caught up and perhaps passed us -- so that SOME citizens here went into permanent shell-shock, which is the single worst thing about Edmonton.

Comment

Did the Telus Tower have different cladding then? I can't put my finger on it, but it looks quite different.

Comment

I believe this photo is taken around 1975 because Century Place was completed in 1975 and the tower in the back of the Century Place was completed in 1974
            Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Chris83 View Post
              Edmonton really seemed like a city that had everything going for itback then.
              From the viewpoint of someone who grew up in here in the 60s, 70s and admittedly with the naivety of rose colored glasses, the city's psyche seemed to peak with the construction of the LRT and the Commonwealth Games. It's a shame that this momentum was not maintained in the ensuing two decades.

Abaka's observation about shell shocked Edmontonians is important from the standpoint of introspection as it is important to understand the causes of the mindset that has held back Edmonton's development and progression in order to counteract the inertia that infects people's attitudes and mindsets.
              Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Originally posted by Chris83 View Post
                Did the Telus Tower have different cladding then? I can't put my finger on it, but it looks quite different.
                Which photo are you looking at?
                Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

In the first picture, the windows do not appear recessed, in the second picture (curtosey of 24Karat), the Telus Tower is creating a reflection, something I don't think it does today.

Comment

^ I think it's just the low-res nature of these photos combined with the light at he time of day they were taken that give that effect. As far as I know and have seen, AGT/Telus Towers have always had the same precast waffle walls.

Take this photo for example, shot last year:

Given the angle and the light, the recesses look almost nonexistent.

The glass is pretty reflective, too:

Both photos mine.
                    Last edited by RTA; 23-09-2010, 08:10 AM.
                    Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Originally posted by RTA View Post
                      ... As far as I know and have seen, AGT/Telus Towers have always had the same precast waffle walls. ...
                      The only exterior change, other than around ground level, was painting the baffles/grating on the mechanical floors. They used to be dark brown. The precast walls are in serious need of a good sand blasting. I believe this was done at some point near the ground floors.

Comment

I just found this thread and really enjoyed seeing these pics, they sure bring back a flood of memories. I have a couple of my own, unfortunately they're pretty poor quality. This one is the U of A hospital, possibly from around 114 Ave and 86 St, looking south? Taken in 1978.

This is the Colonel Mewburn Pavilion at UAH taken at the same time. The streets have changed a lot since then and I couldn't tell you where exactly I took this from. I'd really be interested is seeing some more pics of the Mewburn if anyone has them. I got my first job here after graduating from nursing training so this building is kind of special to me. I've searched the web and there's very little mention of the Mewburn Pavilion anywhere that I can find and no pictures at all.
                        Last edited by The Usual Suspect; 31-01-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

from a book called "colours of canada" - sorry bout the quality

^the muttart doesnt have that filled anymore, correct? looks great with the water

Comment

re: the Queens Hotel.

I thought that was the OTHER side of Jasper from the Convention Centre, and that Queen's was the same hotel that I knew later on as the Hub.

If not, then both sides of Japser at that end had a pretty similar look and feel to them. (Caveat: I have no memories of the south side pre-Convention Centre.)
                            Last edited by overoceans; 31-12-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Absolutely amazing. A window into what some have never seen. Thanks for sharing them.
                              Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Comment

Working...
                              X