Edmonton Mall of Museums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Mall of Museums

I was reading another thread regarding the Alberta Aviation Museum and it's perhaps uncertain future because of the eventual closure of the city center airport. Throughout the discussion an idea was brought up which has a lot of merrit for a variety of reasons. The idea suggested was a mall of museums that could be located at the city center airport location in and around where the AAM is currently situated. It was suggested to that some of the following museums could find a home here too.

Alberta Railway Museum
    Edmonton Police Museum
    Edmonton Fire Fighters
    Edmonton Transit
    Edmonton Power
    Edmonton Telephone Museum
    Edmonton Transit
    Loyal Edmonton Regiment Museum
    The Edmonton Geneology Group

As I have continued to think about this concept I like the idea more and more. There are so many reason why a complex that would house a multitude of museums would be good for the city and for the region. This could become a larger tourist attraction for one thing. On the educational side this would give students, young and old a concentrated place to learn about a variety of things without having to travel all around the region.
    I think an idea like this should be discussed. I'd love to see what others think of a complex like this for Edmonton. Could it happen?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

There are a few actually trying to make this happen... .

It is good to see that others like the idea.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I see Edmonton Transit is so good, that it needs two museums

Great idea. I think a part of a runway can be preserved as one piece of an open air museum with all the mentioned museums lining it on both sides. Add to that the Neon Sign museum to light the way together with runway-themed lighting and develop the whole area similar to The Distillery District, Toronto with space for entertaining, condos, restaurants and shops and perhaps a year-round farmer's market in a rebuilt hangar.
      Last edited by grish; 27-01-2010, 05:55 AM.

Comment

A native culture museum and an immigration museum would be great as well. Plus we could get some nice ethnic restaurants out of them.

Also, Science & Technology. Perhaps EPCOR and Telus could sponsor it, showcasing the power and telephone components.

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
          A native culture museum and
          This would have to compete with the fine exhibit at the RAM though, which I expect will expand (perhaps at the new location?) when the RAM is split.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
            Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
            A native culture museum and
            This would have to compete with the fine exhibit at the RAM though, which I expect will expand (perhaps at the new location?) when the RAM is split.
            It could still work. A major exhibit at a new native culture museum and a smaller overview at a new RAM. I see RAM as a general, broad based museum. The other museums are more focused on a specific subject.

Comment

Glad you like the idea

It is being worked on....and includes the concept of including all of the museums with poor or no locations that are Edmonton centric. With as much of a historic transportation system working as possible (steam trains, trolley, bus etc) to interconnect the different buildings.

This museums complex would need to be Edmonton centric to work effectively.

RAM is meant to tell the "Big Picture" story of Alberta, with Provincial support and big dollars they can.

The Edmonton Mall fo Museums would concentrate on Edmonton's specific chapter in the story of Alberta and work in concert with Fort Edmonton Park...picking up where their story ends.

That way they do not so much compete as feed each other.

The project is ongoing so we will have to wait and see...but thats for the support

Tom

Comment

I really like this idea. A critical mass ,a draw and a recognition of the crossesction of heritage at this location.

Tom, How about a sample of this concept at your next air fest?

Planes , Trains and Automobiles perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
                  Glad you like the idea

It is being worked on....and includes the concept of including all of the museums with poor or no locations that are Edmonton centric. With as much of a historic transportation system working as possible (steam trains, trolley, bus etc) to interconnect the different buildings.

This museums complex would need to be Edmonton centric to work effectively.

RAM is meant to tell the "Big Picture" story of Alberta, with Provincial support and big dollars they can.

The Edmonton Mall fo Museums would concentrate on Edmonton's specific chapter in the story of Alberta and work in concert with Fort Edmonton Park...picking up where their story ends.

That way they do not so much compete as feed each other.

The project is ongoing so we will have to wait and see...but thats for the support

Tom
                  The only unfortunate things is the lack of prximity to water and the earliest of transprtation methods up the north sask. Perhaps a water feature as a part of the museum?

Like the concept. Hope to see it become a reality.

Comment

Hull534
                    Not for this Airfest...2011
                    Too much on the go this year to hope to be that far along.

February...Building the BCATP exhibit
                    March......70th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain exhibit and start of celebrations
                    April........Women of the BCATP
                    May........Battle of Britain 2nd exhibit
                    May........"Spirit of Edmonton" BCATP Tour of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba
                    (Yes folks here we go again with the Bi Plane, 4100km, 42 Cities/Towns, 39 BCATP bases, celebrations as we go and all in 14 days...)
                    June.......Airfest 2010 Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, Swing Dance, Corporate event and Airfest Sunday.
                    July........Aviation Heritage Week celebrating the 70th Anniverasry of the Battle of Britain, guest aircraft through the week.

Then I have to decide if I am renewing my contract

Grish
                    The river transportation system is really the purview of Fort Edmonton their world is up to the 1920's...the ideal of the Mall of Museums is to go forward from there so we work together to cover all of Edmonton's astounding history.

Tom

Comment

just please please please don't call it The Mall of Museums, or anything including the word "mall."

Comment

How about the Transportation Museum District or the TMD?

Comment

Why not mall... this is what mall means

promenade: a public area set aside as a pedestrian walk
                          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

how about something along the lines of Edmonton Evolution District?

I might be alone on this, but the word "mall" doesn't strike me as awe inspiring, which this should be.

Comment

...I think "Mall of Museums" is perfect, it sounds so - how can I put it - it sounds so Edmonton.

Comment

Working...
                              X