Edmonton Intl Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Intl Speedway

I'm trying to complete my Edmonton Intl Speedway vintage program collection and missing a few specific ones (1969-1973). Please message me if you have any or might know someone. Thanks for the help.

Which ones?

Are you looking for photos of the covers, or hoping to acquire the physical programs ...

Comment

Hi, I'm only missing 4 now.... 1969 and 1973 CanAm, 1971 TransAm, and 1972 Continental.
      I'm looking for the physical programs. I have almost complete collections for a few series - CanAm, TransAm, etc.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by speedracer73 View Post
        Hi, I'm only missing 4 now.... 1969 and 1973 CanAm, 1971 TransAm, and 1972 Continental.
        I'm looking for the physical programs. I have almost complete collections for a few series - CanAm, TransAm, etc.

Thank you
        Sounds as though you've done well. Did your collection start with programmes you received while attending events back in the day? Does your interest in sports car and open wheel racing extend beyond collecting?

I have the '71 Trans-Am, '71 F5000 and '70 Can-Am programmes here in front of me. I expect that I probably have some of the other Can-Am and Trans-Am ones under a rock somewhere, too. I'm not quite ready to let any them go, yet. I can keep you in mind and get in touch regarding the '71 T-A when the time comes.

Comment

I was born too late (1973) and missed my favorite racing era 1965 to 1973
          I guess thats why Im so dedicated in completing collections. Only missing a few in order to complete CanAm 1966 to 1974, TransAm 1966 to 1972, Continental/F5000 1967 to 1976, and USRRC 1963 to 1968. I also collect F1, World Sportscars, Indy..and some posters, dash plaques, and press kits.

I appreciate you planning to keep me in mind. Did you attend races? Curious what else you have collected?

Comment

I wondered whether you confined yourself to programmes for events run at Speedway Intl or went for the brass ring. Now I know. Ambitious.

I attended the events, hence the programmes. I am certain I was present at every Can-Am and Trans-Am run at Speedway during the original series. (I didn't know then what I know now about F5000, consequently it wasn't an essential on my calendar.) Not just race day, either.

I know I won't have all the programmes. At the time, I didn't think they gave value-for-money and probably only bought the ones I have after glancing inside to see whether the driver profiles looked worth-while.

As for other vintage Speedway Intl items, I wouldn't say they are 'collected'. 'Hoarded memorabilia' is my kindly term, my wife has less kindly terms. I'm not sure from which years, but I have or had J-Wax decals: at least one of the rectangular ones and I am sure that I had a decal in the shape of the avant garde J-Wax trophy (possibly for '68?). Of course there are black & white photos from track-side and in the pits taken w/ a Kodak Hawkeye FlashFun and a Polaroid Swinger 20, both of which are still here.

This is as much if not more than I want to share on C2E. To sum up, I continue to be amazed looking back at Edmonton's participation in arguably some of the wildest racing series of all time. Didn't happen by accident, some key people made such things take place.

BTW. If you do not already know about Richard McDonell's book, "The Speediest Land Traveller: A History of Alberta Auto Racing" April 30, 2005, then I recommend that you track down a copy. '65-'73 were tremendous years, but there were great times before and after. McDonell's book might surprise you with just how involved Albertans were in motorsport through the ages !

Comment

You attended some great races...I envy you Many of my racing heros were from that era. Donohue, Amon, McLaren, Hall, Gurney.

I think I know the J-Wax rectangular decal you mentioned. I have a bumper sticker that came with my 1971 Can-Am press kit that they issued at all of the races that year.

I appreciate the book recommendation, I will check it out.
              Last edited by speedracer73; 19-04-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

eMail noted.

I recommend editing to delete from public view.

Comment

Great thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X