Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howie
    replied
    Haweli. How's their newer location in the old Hudson's in SEC?

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Stopped by Curry Vibes again last night. It was dead, likely due to the lack of buffet on weekends, but the waiter assured me that they make a killing during weekday lunch. The biriyani was OK but I've had better.

Haweli (in the Revillon) has now changed from an Indian restaurant to an Indo-Chinese restaurant which I find kinda depressing.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Tried Curry Vibes at the Mayfair (Jasper/109 St). They finally opened a week ago even though they've been promising to open since September. They only had a buffet available, which was quite good. Next time I'll give the a la carte a go.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    ^thank you. Sounds like my experience there years ago. Overall, pretty mediocre food. Nobody else here seemed to agree saying it was AMAZING!!! I found it disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Never been to Indian Fusion, but with this making the rounds on social media I think I'll give them some of my business.

https://twitter.com/Arbitral/status/707648300523130881
    This is happening in my own city and I had no idea. Pls consider giving Indian Fusion your business.
    I finally tried Indian Fusion. Food was merely okay but nothing that will bring me back. Quite more expensive compared to most other Indian restaurants, likely because of the owner's freebie offers to the homeless. The service is friendly, they are nice peoples.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    Guru is very good. It's an expensive meal but delicious. Worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Masalaz is still my go-to place for dosas. Every time I go there, I'm usually the only honky in the place.
    I also like Bistro India, but the quality has been up-and-down and the dining room has been dead as of late, so who knows how long they will last.
    Guru was voted best Indian restaurant in the recent issue of Avenue, so maybe I'll give them a try sometime.

Leave a comment:

• PunjabiOil
    replied
    Truthfully most east indian restaurants in this city suck. Guru and NAV IMO - that's it.

Need a Vij's type of restaurant in Edmonton.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    ^sounds like they've changed their game, maybe different owners. It was really horrendous when we went. Happy they're doing better and such. Might even give them another try.

Leave a comment:

• olajuwon
    replied
    As a counterpoint, I've yet to have a bad meal there in the last five years. Their angle seems be both:

a) A mix of Fijian and Indian dishes (and try the Fijian side of the menu... if you like Carribbean and Indian flavours, throw a dart at the menu, order it on the spicy side, and prepare your face for happiness and under-eyeball sweat)

b) A healthier take on some Indian favourites... e.g., butter chicken without the unctuous buttery/creamy texture, but with tons of flavour. Naan bread with tons of crispy burny pockets, but without quite as much butter brushed on. Personally, I love it. Their roganjosh and vindaloo recipes are on point. I will grant you that the baked samosas will make you wish they were fried. But for real, they don't suck.

So yeah, if you're cool with what they're doing for our city's less fortunate, go spend a few bucks there on a tasty pile of curry. I think they even deliver through whatever you cool kids downtown use these days (skip the dishes / just eat?).

And if I'm wrong and they suck nowadays, please tell me, it's been a few months, and typing this out has made me want to go scoop lamb vindaloo into my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• SP59
    replied
    Quite the response to a business that is offering free meals to hungry people that can't afford to pay for one.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    I am shocked that place is still open. I tried it about 6 years ago with someone I was dating and it was horrible. Perhaps they've picked up their game. Or people don't know the different between good and poor Indian.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Never been to Indian Fusion, but with this making the rounds on social media I think I'll give them some of my business.

https://twitter.com/Arbitral/status/707648300523130881
    This is happening in my own city and I had no idea. Pls consider giving Indian Fusion your business.

Leave a comment:

• ispec
    replied
    Just recently tried kathir for dosas. place was solid.

also agree with naryiannis pick above. quite flavorful and not as heavy as traditional indian cooking.

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    ^I've heard it isn't as good as it used to before it expanded into the bay to the north. I haven't been back myself in 3 years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X