No announcement yet.

Edmonton's best South Asian (Indian) food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to Sask Drive last after the Owners changed (The original owner sold it a few months ago from what I heard). It seemed a lot better than 2 years ago or so.

Comment

I've had good food from Karma, Dawaat & New Asian Village recently, generally take-out/delivery.

The Karma combos are pretty reasonable and well-sized portions. Dawaat's paneer is excellent. New Asian Village is always dependable. I find their spicing to be a little... unnuanced maybe, but it's always going to be exactly what it's always been.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

I've never really had any problems with the New Asian Village on Sask Drive, but I haven't been there recently. Origin India was pretty good last time I dined there last summer, and I like the butter chicken wraps they serve late at night. Curry Fix is pretty good for a food court lunch, as the lamb curry they serve there is yummy.
        Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Comment

Origin India is good. I just wish it wasn't in a basement.

Also, Rasoi Indian Kitchen on 50th is awesome. We were there a few weeks ago and they took over their neighbors space and expanded. They hadn't opened the expande side yet, but it was nearly finished, and I would recommend checking it out. It's a great intimate setting with good service and good food. We've never been disappointed.

Comment

I've noticed that the Indian place at 116 St and 102 Ave has been open for a couple of months now. Can't recall the name.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Thank you.

I taste a most delicious food........

Comment

Narayanni's Restaurant 10131 81 Avenue

Not south Indian, but south African-Indian and very very good. A bit pricey on Friday and Saturday evenings, but the food is excellent and it's family run. Weekday lunch is the best value. And I think the best "Indian buffet" in Edmonton.

Enjoy.

Comment

The price has scared me away from there. I'm simply not going to eat $30 worth of food in one sitting; at least if you order off the menu (which they don't offer), you'll have left-overs the next day.
                  They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

^
                    ^^
                    Their place was reviewed earlier this week:
                    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...out/index.html
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Just tried Shudh for brunch. It was alright, but for Southern Indian fare I prefer Masalaz.

Comment

Just tried another south indian place, Kathir, next door to friuticana. Meh.

Comment

Bistro India is a new South Indian place that opened up a few months ago. Great food and flavor. 102nd ave and 116th street. The restaurant is in a 100 year old house, but the inside is completely redone. Personally, they have the best South Indian food in town...

Comment

The best shot downtown , try the Spicy House at the food fair at Canada Place. Extreme value at $6.00 full curry chicken with chick peas. If Kris is doing the cooking it is never exactly the same day to day . He cares about the cooks . This is not standard food fare fare. You would pay a lot more in a restaurant for the same quality and taste.

Comment

Originally posted by sjsaunder View Post
                              Bistro India is a new South Indian place that opened up a few months ago. Great food and flavor. 102nd ave and 116th street. The restaurant is in a 100 year old house, but the inside is completely redone. Personally, they have the best South Indian food in town...
                              Thanks! I've driven by there a few times.
                              Will need to check out their menu first, then give 'em a throw.

Comment

I noticed a "Restaurant Space For Rent" sign posted outside of Karma.

Comment

Working...
                                X