No announcement yet.

Edmonton's best South Asian (Indian) food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realzie the OP is looking for Indian restuarants, but slightly off topic the millwoods meat shop offers pre-marinated cuts of meat, chicken, tandoori, fish steaks and my favorite tandoori hot wings. tandoori comes in both hot and mild and they also offer greek lemon. really great if you wanna pick up yourself and throw on the BBQ without any hassle.

Comment

I tried Rasoee while I was at Southgate Mall this evening. For food-court Indian, it's not bad at all. Unlike the Curry Fix, there's an even greater choice of dishes to choose from and you can order your food mild or spicy. The rice is perfectly cooked too. If they open a downtown location, I would be eating there once a week.

http://www.rasoee.com/home.php
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Dawaat on Whyte Ave is a good place for buffet indian food. It has a limited selection comapred to New Asian Village (an old fav), but the food is way more authentic (I'm East Indian/ Bangladeshi mix myself).
        For a totally different experience, try Masala Wok (on 34 Ave strip) which has Indian style Chinses cuisine (aka Calcutta Chinatown food) for the first time in E-town !

Comment

I'm a fan of Origin India across from Chapters on Whyte. Nice food, nice decor, and good staff.

Gord
          They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

There are some very good curry sauces etc: in the import sections of most grocery stores. A lot of the sauces have recipes on them. I have made some pretty darn good curries at home. If you like curries you should try this option.
            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by ED1 View Post
              There's a great restaurant called "Rasoi on 50th"... at 50 St. & 44 Ave... great food (there's also a buffet), great service, decor is nice - and they have a patio too in the back.
              Agreed. Fantastic food + great service = happy customer.

Comment

Good article on Little India.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...185/story.html

But I have to comment on one thing:
                There's Maurya Palace, New Asian Village and Rasoi India for classic, north Indian fare, as well as Shudh, a newer arrival that is the city's only south Indian restaurant, offering yummy, mostly vegetarian specialties like "dosa," a rice-and-lentil pancake wrapped around a filling of potatoes and onions, and "vada," a fried lentil-flour dumpling served with coconut chutney, perfect for dropping in lentil soup.

Sanjay Sachdeva, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Aarti, says locals used to drive to Calgary to eat south Indian restaurant food. But no more.

The owner of Shudh is either a liar or misinformed. Masalaz and Savoy's Cafe have been serving south Indian fare for a few years now and they are both good. Remedy Cafe serves dosas but they are just so-so. I'll give Shudh a try anyway.
                Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 07-11-2010, 04:55 PM.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

There's a new Indian place on 91st ave and...102 st(?). They ONLY do buffet, and it seems really expensive. My wife and I went there on a Friday, and it was $30 for the buffet, which consisted of about 12-15 items, most of which were vegetable (I think there was 1 chicken, 1 beef, and 1 fish dish). We left and went to Origin India, spent just $5 more (including our drinks, and taxes), and we got items off the menu, AND had enough leftovers that we both ate it for lunch the next day.
                  They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Surprised no-one has mentioned Zaika just off 91 St. a few blocks north of Ellerslie Road. Very good $12 lunchtime buffet. http://www.zaikabistro.com/

A nice, orderly, clean Indian grocery store next door as well.

Still one little niggle about Edmonton restaurants, though. Such limited menus. The link below is to one of my old haunts in the UK and this menu is by no means an exception, it's a fairly average example of what can be found in any village, town or city in the UK. C'mon Edmonton!
                    http://www.takeawayfever.com/menu.php?id=1395
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
                      There's a new Indian place on 91st ave and...102 st(?). They ONLY do buffet, and it seems really expensive. My wife and I went there on a Friday, and it was $30 for the buffet, which consisted of about 12-15 items, most of which were vegetable (I think there was 1 chicken, 1 beef, and 1 fish dish). We left and went to Origin India, spent just $5 more (including our drinks, and taxes), and we got items off the menu, AND had enough leftovers that we both ate it for lunch the next day.
                      Do you mean 81st Avenue and 102 Street? That would be Narayanna (I think that's the correct spelling) if so. We were there about a month ago on a Friday evening, and the buffet price was then $25.00. We loved the atmosphere and the food (the place was very busy too), but also heard that the weekend price was bumped to $30.00 a couple of weeks ago.

That's a deal-breaker, in my view - it was a good $25.00 buffet but not worth $30.00.

That's a shame too because I know the owner worked very hard to get the old warehouse renovated. I agree that Origin India on Whyte does a great (and relatively spicy) buffet for about $20.00 - that's my Old Strathcona first choice - lovely atmosphere and decor (but I occasionally go to New Asian Village as well).
                      Almost always open to debate...

Comment

New Asian Village is still my favourite. I've tried LOTS of other restaurant. They were good too, but the food here just tastes better IMO. I haven't been able to find a good place in Vancouver either. I go there a lot. You would think they would have lots of East Indian restaurants.

Comment

We used to go to New Asian Village on Sask drive, and then I read the Capital Health food violations site... never eating there again.

davidnorwoodink, yeah, I can't believe I typed 91st ave. Duhh! I also didn't like that they were JUST a buffet. I realize that's a popular thing to get an an India restaurant, but my wife and I order off the menu 90% of the time. It just seemed odd that there wasn't the option at Narayanna.

Terwillegar_Guy, my friends have said good things about a place in Vancouver run by "Vij," though I don't know the name of it (they have a couple of Indian cook books as well).

Comment

^Vij, just off Granville?

http://www.vijs.ca/

If so, awesome.
                            ... gobsmacked

Comment

I've only gone to that downtown location maybe two times int he past 4 years. I usually go to the one on the South Side. VJ's is supposed to be good in Vancouver. I didn't get to try it last time. It's more fusion food though. I don't consider it a regular East Indian restaurant.

Comment

Yeah, good idea to stay away from the Sask Drive location, unless you like mice feces near your food.

Having the restaurant reports online is nice, but I really wish they would go to a visible system displayed on the outside door of the restaurant like they have in LA. If it doesn't have an "A" on the door, you know the place has had problems, and because it's visible to anyone and everyone that walks in there, there's a lot more incentive to clean up your act ASAP, as you'll have fewer people eating there with a low rating.

Comment

Working...
                                X