Edmonton's best South Asian (Indian) food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton's best South Asian (Indian) food

For a quick food court lunch, I don't mind Curry Fix in Commerce Place.

New Asian Village is the biggest name in town. I personally don't mind it, but others have mixed reviews.

Been to Khazana for a couple of office lunches - great decor, so-so food.

I've only been to Masalaz once but I was impressed enough that I want to make a return visit soon.

Anywhere else? Little India and Millwoods seems to have a plethora of Indian restaurants.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I like hawali by the bay downtown

Comment

Off topic.. but Edmonton has a Little India??? 34 Ave?

Comment

Originally posted by Logan,L View Post
        Have to agree. Much better than Khazana. The Hawali in St. Albert is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitin View Post
          Off topic.. but Edmonton has a Little India??? 34 Ave?
          Yes, Little India runs along 34 Ave between 91 St and about 95 St. Besides having a legion of Indian eateries, there are a lot of grocers, retail boutiques and services that cater to the South Asian community. Of course it's not the best area for an ethnic village, seeing that its a strip mall hellhole separated by a multi-lane commuter artery. But Millwoods has always had a large Indian population - Millwoods started up about the time when South Asian immigration went from a trickle to a wave - so a Little India had to spring up somewhere there.

I shamefully admit that I haven't tried Haweli yet, but some day soon I will.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I really like Mauryah (sp?) at 34ave and west of 91 street (i am guessing about 93 street). Really yummy!

Comment

Hawelli in St. Albert is awesome!

And even though not prepared by Indian Folks (I don't think anyways...) Remedy Cafe does a mouth watering chick pea curry & has amazing butter chicken wraps & various Tandoori wraps.

The first time I had a butter chicked wrap there (imagine, butter chicken curry, wrapped IN naan bread...) I honestly found the true meaning of life and I swear Stevie Ray Vaugn was there eating one with me too. Soooo good.
              Last edited by Kevin_Foster; 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Went to New Asian Village for the first time last week. I really liked it, food was great and the beer selection was fantastic. Not sure why it costs seven bucks for an ABco beer though....it's brewed 15 blocks south.

I've known the owner for a while, really good guy and it's great to see success.

My gf's dad was really struggling with the spiciness of the food. Certainly not for everybody.

What was in there before it was New Asian Village?

Comment

^ Which location did you go to?

Comment

sask drive

Comment

Originally posted by Logan,L View Post
                      Have not tried it but I love Indian food. Is it true that one also opened in St. Albert?

Comment

^Yes, its right on St. Albert Trail - in the old New York Steak House place.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa View Post
                          ^Yes, its right on St. Albert Trail - in the old New York Steak House place.
                          Thanks Casa, that is good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by LindseyT View Post
                            Went to New Asian Village for the first time last week. I really liked it, food was great and the beer selection was fantastic. Not sure why it costs seven bucks for an ABco beer though....it's brewed 15 blocks south.

I've known the owner for a while, really good guy and it's great to see success.

My gf's dad was really struggling with the spiciness of the food. Certainly not for everybody.

What was in there before it was New Asian Village?
                            The first restaurant in that location, I believe, was called "Something Fishy." Then came "Rive Gauche", a French restaurant, which didn't last very long. Then New Asian Village, which has been there for at least a dozen years now.
                            Almost always open to debate...

Comment

I love the taste of the this cuisine and often make my own but is anybody aware of any South Asian restaurant that does not use "ghee" or similar saturated fats in their foods?

Its the one ingredient that keeps me from going.
                              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                              X