Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThomasH
    replied
    Good Buddy restaurant that can be found in multiple suburban locations offers good food. If you want Szechwan Pepper flavoured food, they got it. Hot Pot and Chicken feet as well. Even the familiar stuff tastes better than what food court venders offer.

Leave a comment:

• Drumbones
    replied
    Dang Good on 118th beside Dutch Delicious just west of Groat Rd. We have been frequenting both lately. It’s Vietnamese more than Chinese though. Excellent food.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 06-07-2019, 05:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Stopped by the Green Onion Cake Man for lunch. The place had a steady stream of patrons but not overwhelmingly busy. Had a hot & sour soup and a green onion cake plus a bottle of water. The soup was quite good though not the best I've ever had. The green onion cake was absolute perfection - didn't even need any dipping sauces! I'll be back.

Leave a comment:

• Drumbones
    replied
    We went to the Asian Express Hotpot on Allendale Road the other day. It was really good. I went to the bathroom before we left. When I came back to the table my wife was telling me how the guy took the water glasses he had collected from tables, emptied them into the sink, then refilled them and took them out to tables for the next customers. (unwashed) She said now we can’t come back. I said just don’t drink the water. She said no way are we going back. They also own the one on 97th I believe. That’s too bad because we’ve been to both and like the food. I also said I could talk to them to explain. She said no forget it. We had been going to the Urban China for some time. Shortly before they were shut down my wife had a large iron filing in her food. If she had swallowed it who knows what would have happened. I said I’m taking it to the manager. She said no let’s go. She wouldn’t go back so she was glad it got shut down. I wanted to take it up with them so they could fix the machine it was coming from, you know help them out, but she said no, forget it. She’s going to the hot pot on Saturday beside Global, where the Bonanza buffet was for a while, with friends from work. I hope things go well. Next Friday she’s leaving to Vietnam for a month. She can eat tons of her food there.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 24-01-2019, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spudly
    replied
    My phone has a speed-dial button for "Chinese Food" and it's been set to the Lingnan for a decade. It's "western" Chinese food but there are times that really hits the spot. Always fresh, always fast, always friendly.

Leave a comment:

• howie
    replied
    Amazing Wok on Ellerslie Rd. just west of Calgary Trail is recommended. We've ordered takeaway there a number of times and yet to be disappointed.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    Originally posted by Eminent View Post
    Generally I trust Asian people reviewing Asian restaurants with most credibility. Same applied to any ethnic group.
    I do too but that may just mean I’m an *****. Most foods have all kinds of variations so I imagine that within any group raised on any particular traditional dish, there’s probably people that variously love and hate different but popular versions of that same dish.

Then there’s people who’s ancestors came here a century or two ago, were raised on foods quite different than the old mother country foods (then or now) and so have no actual experience with the food. So then it’s just racist to assume their opinion is of any more value than the next person.
    Last edited by KC; 23-01-2019, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eminent
    replied
    Generally I trust Asian people reviewing Asian restaurants with most credibility. Same applied to any ethnic group.

Leave a comment:

• glendroid
    replied
    Double Greeting
    Sam Wok
    Hot Wok
    Wok n Roll
    Chin Kee
    Dan Shing
    Shanghai 456

Leave a comment:

• Poohhead
    replied
    For the adventurous out there: Noodle feast. A bit of a hole in the wall but they have awesome spicy hand pulled noodles. The menu is in chinese and no one speaks English. Really, I called to see if they're open and they didn't understand me- not even "open or closed today?" . You can order by number so we just picked an number from each section of the menu. Noms.

Leave a comment:

• Legacy
    replied
    Replacing the old Century Grill on Calgary Trail is Plates International Buffet.

https://www.facebook.com/PlatesBuffet/
    https://www.yelp.ca/biz/plates-inter...uffet-edmonton

Went today.. it's expensive, but good fresh selection. Owned by the same group as Sumo Sumo in the Sherwood Forest, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    Review of Urban China
    http://winedineyeg.com/urban-china/

Leave a comment:

• Kitlope
    replied
    Originally posted by Legacy View Post
    Curious.. what do you guys order when you want Chinese food? Egg foo yung? Fried Rice? Lemon Chicken?

I'm coming from the other side.. so I'm curious what you consider Chinese Food. Maybe I should try it some day.
    I usually get a Wor Wonton, Lemon Chicken, some mixed vegetables and/or some beef & veggies. Lately though I always try something I've never tried before just to spice things up... sometimes I win and sometimes I lose.

I think today is going to be a Chinese food day.

Leave a comment:

• Meo
    replied
    I don't think there is any authentic Szechuan restaurants in Edmonton. I have went to the Old Szechuan and ordered this dish that WAS suppose to be spicy as hell (水煮魚) but I found it more oily than spicy despite copious amounts of chili. I think most places tame stuff down for the common masses.

Dim Sum - I like Jumbo or Tasty Noodle
    Chow Mein and Noodles - Double Greeting
    Dinner - Not that big of a difference. Though some places are saltier than others...

Leave a comment:

• craiger9929
    replied
    Pearl River best in city. They also make certain dishes gluten free.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X