Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Pearl River on 99th. Street and 47 Ave.

Very tasty, professional service with linens beyond reproach.
    Very nice restaurant as well. Nicely appointed. No greasy spoon joint this.

My only quibble would be ingredients on plate don't closely match what is described on menu. They do some substitutions of vegetables and such. I think I even had dried seaweed or some such thing on the peppercorn beef instead of peppers. It was tasty anyway.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Heading back in town, was in the mood for something Asian and spicy, so decided to stop at Szechuan Castle on 111 Ave east of 156 St. Let's see: attached to a budget motel, all the customers are white seniors, truckers and rednecks, no chopsticks at the table...how bad can it be? The hot and sour soup was anything but, half the buffet entrees were empty and not filled, what was left was your typical bland small town honkified Chinese fare. Dead loss. Avoid.
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I've been to the Garden Bakery for delicious pork buns, but I've never had dinner there. Feeling the need to erase last night's experience with Szechuan Castle, I decided to take the plunge. The shrimp rice rolls and the hot & sour soup were awesome. Chicken with Pepper Sauce on Rice and the lukewarm tea, not quite so awesome. There were just 2 very busy but polite servers, which made for long waits. Sadly, they were out of pork buns.

Thumbs up, but I prefer All Happy Family.

p.s. Next time I go there or to All Happy Family, gotta remember to park out back. Leaving my car out in the street in that neighborhood is always worrisome.
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Garden is ok, but AHFR is consistently good.... be it for dinner or 3am.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by iano View Post
            garden is ok, but ahfr is consistently good.... Be it for dinner or 3am.
            ahfr?
            Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
              Garden is ok, but AHFR is consistently good.... be it for dinner or 3am.

Ho-ly !

AHRF or any kind of chinese food at 3 am invariably leads to AGID.

Top_Dawg never figgered you of all people could succumb to this rookie mistake.

Then again, just this past Sunday Top_Dawg tumbled out of O2s after a long shift of guzzling beer and watching Yankee football.

He had every intention of making a quick stop at Save-On to pick up a nice light bite before crashing.

Nope.

Given Top_Dawg's clouded judgment he ends up in Mucho Burrito.

MISTAKE

Jus' goes to show it can even happen to the best from time to time.

Comment

ALFR + All Happy Family Resto.. or just All Happy

All Happy is THE BEST!
                "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by hello lady View Post
                  Originally posted by iano View Post
                  garden is ok, but ahfr is consistently good.... Be it for dinner or 3am.
                  ahfr?
                  A Google search leaves me to believe IanO is referring to All Happy Family Restaurant, located at 10011 106 Ave NW, with city wide delivery, and open from 4PM to 4 AM.

Ian, do you know if the BBQ Duck on Rice or BBQ Pork on Rice at All Happy is not breaded? I'm always on the lookout for some gluten free late night food for me and the missus

Comment

^ try the hot pots
                    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• ^^I believe most if not all of the duck or BBQ is not breaded, but call and confirm.

Comment

• I've been meaning to ask why All Happy runs two separate places next door to each other?

Comment

• The bigger dinning room closes earlier. they are attached.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                            I've been meaning to ask why All Happy runs two separate places next door to each other?
                            Dinning room is daytime and for larger dinner events such as weddings... smaller is for other times.

Comment

• Love the Mandarin by College Plaza. Excellent "North American" Chinese.

Buddy Wonton on the other hand, meh.

Comment

• Szechuan Garden on 118th ave

Some of the best anglo-chinese available in the city IMO

Delivers almost everywhere
                                Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X