Chinese food - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese food - any recommendations?

I am dying for some hot and spicy Szechuan-style eats.
    So none of that bland deep-fried crap, thank you very much.
    Is Blue Willow any good?
    How about China Palace on Whyte Ave?
    Any other recommendations?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The Lingnan!

Best in Edmonton I dare say, of course in my humble opinion!!

http://www.thelingnan.com/

(also the same owner of the ever famous Chicken For Lunch in the Scotia Place food court)
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The Lingnan has been serving Edmonton and surrounding area with fine Cantonese and Szechuen cuisine since 1947. We are a Consumer's Choice Award recognized establishment and the winner of the World Famous Restaurants International Award.

All our meals are prepared in the traditional uncompromising style, cooked to perfection. The core of our talented culinary staff is composed of veteran skilled chefs in a variety of styles. Enjoy a refreshing drink from our full service bar prepared by our fully certified bartenders.

The Lingnan features two main dining areas and a large banquet room for special occassions. Come and enjoy the surroundings in an unique authentic traditional chinese setting that is second to none. If you prefer to dine at home we offer a city wide, free delivery service.

We pride ourselves in the quality of our service and cuisine. Come visit us soon - we're waiting to serve you! Thankyou for visiting this website.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

my fav....the hot and spicy soup in china town (#18 on the menu)across the street from lucky 97 in china town, forget the name i go there all the time so adicting.... there is also 1 place a block down wich is just as good. thing is most are not open during the day, the chinese work diferent, anyways its really good i recomend trying all china town has to offer.

Comment

Re: Chinese food - any recommendations?

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
          Is Blue Willow any good?
          SDM,

Blue Willow and China Palace are okay but bland for my taste (which is atomic and then kick it up a few knotches).

In the westend we go to Cha for Tea (Stony and 176) and they do turn the heat on (once they get to know you mean it!).

I miss Chilli Hot Hot as there is a dearth of Szechuan places these days.

Thanh Thanh Oriental Noodle House on 101 just of 107 Ave is not Szechuan style but the food is fantastic and the spice level is adjustable!

Comment

I probably should have read this thread before heading out to dinner. I gave the Blue Willow a try and it was merely passable but nothing to rave about. I will try the Lingnan next time.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

China Palace has been having ongoing concerns with
              the Health Board, and their food isn't that good anyways.
              Lingnan has been good for years, and yeah, Blue Willow
              is passable. Some have smorgs on Sundays, which is a great
              way to try their different menu selections.
              Yay, summertime!

Comment

while none are szechuan really...i highly recommend:

sai woo - amazing traditional dishes - 97ast/106ave

spicy garden - mix of everything and quite good - 97st/105ave

chin kee - stony plain rd 149st

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I second djgirl's and Ian's suggestions. Those are great places.

I would also add Old Szechuan Restaurant to the list. The service is a bit slow (expect to be there for at least 2 hours or so), but the food has plenty of kick to it and is good when it gets there.
                  Time to grow up.

Comment

Definitely another one to avoid is Beijing Beijing on Calgary Trail, in the strip mall hell north of 34 Ave. I happened to be in the area recently so I popped in. First sign of trouble, no chopsticks on the tables. I skipped the buffet and ordered off the menu just to see how hot some of their spicy dishes are. My verdict is that you can get spicier food at Denny's and that's if you're not sprinkling black pepper on your eggs.

Will definitely give the Old Szechuan a try.

Comment

Re: Chinese food - any recommendations?

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                      Is Blue Willow any good?
                      Try the fried rice, yes it may sound dumb but the moment u try the fried rice u'll know if the rest of the suff on the menu is nice becuz fried rice is the most basic food if the chef can't get it right and be prepared! Chinese is very standard when it comes to eating, 3 dishes and a soup.

Of the 3 dish there wld be meat, veg and fish. the soup helps to complete the meal. For meat i wld recommend black pepper beef or sweet and sour pork, fish wld be steamed fish of any kind, veg juz go for the simple oyster sauce stir fry veg. Soup u can try winter melon soup(if they have it).
                      Online weight loss and exercise advice with a personal advisor for motivation and help to achieve.

Comment

I have two words for you (ok maybe more than 2).

"Rose Garden"

16520 100 Avenue NW

This is one of my favorite chinese restaurant in Edmonton.

When you enter, it may seem at first that the restaurant is geared towards "westerners" but when you actually sit down and try their food, it's heaven on a plate (maybe a little exaggerated).

Definitely order the chicken wings with the special fried rice stuffed inside. That is to die for. I don't know of any other restaurant that offers this dish.

Give it a try and tell us how it went.

Comment

Lingnan and

matahari, matahari, matahari, matahari, matahari!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreypen
                            I have two words for you (ok maybe more than 2).

"Rose Garden"

16520 100 Avenue NW

This is one of my favorite chinese restaurant in Edmonton.

When you enter, it may seem at first that the restaurant is geared towards "westerners" but when you actually sit down and try their food, it's heaven on a plate (maybe a little exaggerated).

Definitely order the chicken wings with the special fried rice stuffed inside. That is to die for. I don't know of any other restaurant that offers this dish.

Give it a try and tell us how it went.
                            I can vouch for Rose Garden...it's excellent.

Comment

you can use any cut of meat , try cutting it partially frozen you can get very thin uniform slices. Try to cut against the grain of the meat. cut a slice and pull each side one way will be tough the other should almost peel apart. this is the right way to cut. Heat pan and sear meat quickly to seal in juices, then lower heat and proceed with cooking. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X