Restaurant Patio Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    That's fantastic (note the sarcasm)... that doesn't mean everyone here needs to do the exact same thing. Why are you putting the onus on the individual who chooses to eat inside?
    i won't even bother dude... wow

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
      i won't even bother dude... wow
      It's a personal choice... if someone wants to eat inside as opposed to outside, that's their choice, and it's none of your damn business. You really like to meddle in things that you have no right to meddle in don't you?

Comment

• ^meddling or wondering why so many people/places in this city are so damn malaise.

Comment

• ^^ We all question other people's choices all the time, and we all have every right to ask those kinds of questions in a public forum. If we didn't, we would fast run out of things to rant about.
          Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

• Earls and Joeys patios were opened last weekend or so. As for today, given the extremely looow temps, it doesn't make sense to have any patios open. As for Saturday, Milestones patio should have been open as it was a nice day/eve.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
              ^meddling or wondering why so many people/places in this city are so damn malaise.
              Again I admire your uncompromising passion IanO...

Perhaps Edmonton needs to walk before it can run?

Lets get more restaurants opening patios in May with translucent/parent windscreens and coverings and more space heaters, then maybe they will open in April on nice days and keep them open in October on nice days!

Comment

• P.S. I think radiant floor heating in the patios would be kickass...

Comment

• EXACTLY lat... finally someone gets it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lat View Post
                    Again I admire your uncompromising passion IanO...

Perhaps Edmonton needs to walk before it can run?

Lets get more restaurants opening patios in May with translucent/parent windscreens and coverings and more space heaters, then maybe they will open in April on nice days and keep them open in October on nice days!
                    cheers

...with many topics i would agree but patios are common sense to me. I cannot get how hard it is to find a decent patio downtown or even whyte. While in NYC i could not get over how many places had 2-3 tables out front and while the inside was often NOT that busy, most of the tables outside were.

Comment

• I'm with IanO. Yes, Monday was cold (just above zero) and it's not really desirable to dine outside in that temperature, but I noticed on Saturday there were patios closed all over the place. Yet at Hawrelak park there were people having picnics.

As a customer, I shouldn't have to ask if I can sit outside. As far as I am concerned, when the temperature is hovering around 20 degrees they should offer you the choice if you want to sit outside or in. That's good customer service.

Comment

• IanO, Wondering what the differences are between the places you saw in NY and here.
                        Were the ones in NY indies? I would think the indies here would be more adaptable and willing to set up a few tables and chairs outside. But, would people here, generally speaking, use them? I know I like to sit outside, but my wife, by her own admission, is a wuss, so we sometimes end up indoors when I would rather be on a patio...
                        Have restaurants tried to offer patios earlier in the season and had no one use them so gave up? I don't know, but would be interested to hear from anyone in the restaurant biz that has experience with this...

The chain restaurants have 'corporate policies' about when to do anything, so likely wouldn't be as adaptable to setting up a few tables for a day that is nice... There have been times when I have left a restaurant because they weren't willing to seat us on the patio, even though it was absolutely beautiful outside... Their excuse, they don't have the staff for it, even though the inside wasn't busy and the patio was right beside where they were serving... oh well...

Comment

• ^ that makes sense considering that the likes of Earl's and Joey's are headquartered on the West Coast. But surely the local management would have a say in such matters too.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• "IanO, Wondering what the differences are between the places you saw in NY and here.
                            Were the ones in NY indies? I would think the indies here would be more adaptable and willing to set up a few tables and chairs outside. But, would people here, generally speaking, use them? I know I like to sit outside, but my wife, by her own admission, is a wuss, so we sometimes end up indoors when I would rather be on a patio... "

The majority were indies yes... but some larger brands as well. Would people use them... god i hope so. It is so much nicer to sit outside, even if only 10 out with a coat, than inside if you can during our short season.

Comment

• Walked by Earl's Tin Palace today - I'm liking the little canopies per patio table.
                              Joey Tomatoes still has no tables on the outer patio.
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• I guess the National media realizes our lack of patios also.
                                http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1171374/

Comment

Working...
                                X