No announcement yet.

Restaurant Patio Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping with their pattern of last year (closed on the May Long weekend), Original Joe's patio was not open on Saturday. Although, perhaps signaling a change in policy, the furniture was at least stacked outside ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
      Since you went to Whyte ave today, where do all of the motorcyclists hangout now that the Timmy's parking lot is closed?

I've heard my fair share of rumblers today.
      I saw a bunch of them at the one along gateway just before united cycle (I think).
      you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Comment

^ That's good. Keep them away from the high pedestrian traffic on Whyte.

Comment

^funny, I haven't heard of all that many pedestrian deaths or injuries from motorcycles. Why do you want to keep them away from Whyte, but cars, SUV's and trucks are perfectly a-otay?

Comment

^ More like keep the loud mufflers off Whyte ave. so people can have an enjoyable afternoon.

Comment

Can we get back to patios, North Guy? There's enough topics on motorbikes, you don't need to divert this one.

Downtown Joey's patio is locked up but they have their furniture out.

I think the pattern here is the chain restaurants. Is it staffing? Is it because food gets colder quicker? Or are these restaurants (Earls, Joeys, Original Joes) so popular that they feel they can open their patios any old time they want because people will go there regardless? Is it still too chilly for the half-clad waitresses?
              Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by bicycles View Post
                Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                Since you went to Whyte ave today, where do all of the motorcyclists hangout now that the Timmy's parking lot is closed?

I've heard my fair share of rumblers today.
                I saw a bunch of them at the one along gateway just before united cycle (I think).
                correct... they are at the tim horton's on gateway beside that 'gateway' sign into strathcona.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                  Can we get back to patios, North Guy? There's enough topics on motorbikes, you don't need to divert this one.

I think the pattern here is the chain restaurants. Is it staffing? Is it because food gets colder quicker? Or are these restaurants (Earls, Joeys, Original Joes) so popular that they feel they can open their patios any old time they want because people will go there regardless? Is it still too chilly for the half-clad waitresses?
                  unfortunately, IMO, it is because 'it isnt patio season in edmonton until june'.

i simply cannot still understand why people dont learn or recognize that in many other 'cold' cities people can wear a jacket on a sunny day and still enjoy being outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Come on SDM, you know how some can tie even the most obscure thread into a rant about noise pollution. Why should a patio topic be off limits? . Now, on topic. I agree, there is something about enjoying a beverage in the outdoors (patio) when the temp. is less than ideal. Perhaps some gentle pursuation to the establishment's owner/manager? Or have others tried this? And the right half-clad waitress will be great even in a parka.....
                    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Comment

It is staffing issues, especially for the bigger chain restaurants. A large patio like the Tin Palace's is like two sections for the serving staff.

The staff schedule is made 1-2 weeks ahead. Yesterday the temperature was 23 C. A week ago there was blowing snow on the Sunday afternoon.

p.s....Hope you are happy now that I've stayed on topic. Sheeesh!!!
                      Last edited by North Guy66; 04-05-2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

"t is staffing issues, especially for the bigger chain restaurants. A large patio like the Tin Palace's is like two sections for the serving staff.

The staff schedule is made 1-2 weeks ahead. Yesterday the temperature was 23 C. A week ago there was blowing snow on the Sunday afternoon."

weakest excuse ever... make it happen... most other cities of the world do

Comment

The patio at O'Byrne's was chock full of people last Saturday, as I was having a couple of Keith's there. Strangely enough, the Earl's on Campus didn't have its patio set up yet at the time.

I also know that the Brewster's in Oliver Square also has its patio open.
                          Last edited by MikeK; 05-05-2009, 09:39 AM.
                          Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Comment

free press does not have it open

rigelleto's nope

martini's nope

fluid dont think so

Karma (105st/99ave) has a nice patio that is already OPEN though

Comment

^Blue Plate had their massive, cough, patio open on the weekend.

Comment

^haha...

but to be honest i love when places have 2-3 tables out front... that is all you need. I wish more business owners did the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X