No announcement yet.

Restaurant Patio Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a bylaw regulation regarding space and tolerance levels for patios which no doubt is part of the reason some restaurant owners do not bother.

Comment

i know it isnt just an Edmonton thing...but good god...sometimes it is one step forward 4 backward.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
        Originally posted by kcantor
        i have to say im beginning to think Edmontonians are boring, lifeless, people...
        or people who have too much on their plate to skip out Friday afternoons regardless of the colour of their collar...
        or people who have options or choices a bit broader than buying a drink on someone else's patio...
        IanO, you have to learn to be little less judgemental of - and quick to judge - those who do not want everything exactly the way you do. That's what makes us different and makes life stimulating. It doesn't make us - or you - wrong or boring or lifeless people.
        it isnt the 1st time ive felt this way Ken...i walk around downtown a lot...and i cannot get over how many condos/apartments there are and barely anyone on the street, patroning local watering holes or food shops...sitting back on a bench.

This happens daytime, nightime, weekend, weekday...

I honestly feel like Edmonton maintains the "deadmonton" stereotype by not taking advantage of things to do outside.

We all complain about how long winters are...well its +26 and sun out...but patios 1/2 full.

perhaps my view is becoming the glass is half empty...
        I would have to agree with Ian here....
        I really want to love Edmonton.. and it has some much potential.... young city, booming economy, etc. etc. but the city consistently under-deliver-s!
        RHW has such potential but isn't quite there.. and I always wonder what the '''' all those people in those downtown condos are doing too! where are they?
        Whyte is great, but a decent big city has more than one district that is truly alive....
        the spattering of interesting stuff here and there [culina and environs, bacon and environs, RHW, the half there-ness of 124 th] doesn't quite cut the mustard.
        For a city that is so proud of itself/quick to defend itself from attacks, people sure like to hang out in their suburban backyards and not participate...
        That combined with the chance to sell the ol' homestead after rapid appreciation in a short time, etc. etc. there is less and less to keep someone here...

Comment

Expect the Bank's roof top patio next summer.

Comment

A warm summer weekend - the last one we'll likely get - and two of the most popular patios are already closed for the winter. The two are Joey's downtown and Earls Tin Palace. Nice going, people.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^oh...tell me about ******* bout it....SO ****** OFF AT THIS CITY SOMETIMES!

it is absolutely ridiculous how we deal with patios here...

set them up june 30, take em down sept 1...

they could easy be open, if designed right, from april -halloween.

Comment

^oh...tell me about f*** bout it....SO p*ss OFF AT THIS CITY SOMETIMES!

good luck with yours IanO. just don't forget that it's not just a matter of "if designed right" - it's also a matter of being able to find enough staff to keep them open - something that is not as easy before school is out or after school is back. patios aren't any different than drive-throughs or cash registers at the grocery store or at winners - without staff, they won't be open.

ps - the mac's patio was open this week - or least it still was on wednesday afternoon.
                "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I ate on the patio of the Burger Bar and Grill saturday night. Not the best area to sit outside, but couldn't let what might be the last warm weekend slip away. awesome food btw

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                    A warm summer weekend - the last one we'll likely get - and two of the most popular patios are already closed for the winter. The two are Joey's downtown and Earls Tin Palace. Nice going, people.
                    Pathetic move big time. Honestly, we could still get 2-3 more weeks of patio weather....

Comment

^oh...tell me about f*** bout it....SO p*ss OFF AT THIS CITY SOMETIMES!

good luck with yours IanO. just don't forget that it's not just a matter of "if designed right" - it's also a matter of being able to find enough staff to keep them open - something that is not as easy before school is out or after school is back. patios aren't any different than drive-throughs or cash registers at the grocery store or at winners - without staff, they won't be open.

ps - the mac's patio was open this week - or least it still was on wednesday afternoon.
                      You know what. The average patron would gladly go to the bar and take their drinks and food out themselves if it meant sitting out on a beautiful day like today.
                      If only somebody so much as wiped the tables down and left this open as an option.

Theres ways to adapt to less staffing and still allowing the customer what they want on a nice weekend day which I dare say is important to denizens of a city that experienced a 7mth winter and want nothing more than to hold onto every precious day like today.

Lets not accentuate the winter cities theme by having only two months of patios
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Speaking of patios, I experienced Lattitude 53 awesome roof top patio the other night.... awesome! What a great venue to host events!

Comment

the mac's patio? On 113or114 and jasper ave? You mean the curb of the sidewalk where the bums sit and ask you for change, and if you don't provide change, they threaten to do physical harm to you or your vehicle?
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by LindseyT
                            I ate on the patio of the Burger Bar and Grill saturday night. Not the best area to sit outside, but couldn't let what might be the last warm weekend slip away. awesome food btw
                            Where's this place?
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by feepa
                              the mac's patio? On 113or114 and jasper ave? You mean the curb of the sidewalk where the bums sit and ask you for change, and if you don't provide change, they threaten to do physical harm to you or your vehicle?

give me a break...ive sat on many streetside downtown patios and never had an issue...at most it is a "have any change".

Comment

Originally posted by feepa

give me a break...ive sat on many streetside downtown patios and never had an issue...at most it is a "have any change".
                                Exactly. That comment was a wee over the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X