X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ There's a lot more hot air down there :P

Seriously though, it was nice out this weekend, but patio weather ?

100% yes dude

i think that is one of the problems with this city is that the majority of the people and establishments think it has to be calm and +23 to open a patio.

In the sun with a jacket on it was almost ideal weather sat and sunday.

While living in vancouver some of the best patios were enjoyed in temperatures below +10.
    Precisely Ian and its all improved immensely with just a bit of imagination.

A south or west facing patio with some protection from wind on 3 sides and with the right exterior light coloring(especially stucco or some such mortar will hold and radiate heat on a sunny day. I was sitting out on our patio this weekend reading a book with just a sweatshirt and jeans on. The stucco was reflecting the sun on my back and so I was warm all over. As long as you're sheltered from the breeze its great.

Trouble in this city is the outdoor patios are designed by untrained monkeys and are randomly configured with no thought whatsoever and with way too much exposure to wind and always seemingly next to a dusty main roadway.

Has anybody in this city ever thought of a large enclosed courtyard surrounded by four walls with a retractable clear roof?
    People are starved for outside or natural light in this city in the winter and such a location would be great summer or winter. A few palm trees later and its a little escape in Edmonton.

Or just an enclosed courtyard. How hard would this be?

or this

Quiet, romantic, secluded, relaxing. No dirt, bugs, wind, leering eyes, panhandlers.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2010, 12:42 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• ^ Sounds a lot like Devlin's on Whyte.
      Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeK View Post
        ^ Sounds a lot like Devlin's on Whyte.
        Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• with the forecast showing +13, +14, +14.... you better be open patios... YOU HEAR ME... I WILL **** YOU UP IF YOU ARE NOT.

thank you kindly

Edmonton

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• My patio's open. Service is terrible though :/.

Comment

• ^haha...

Comment

with the forecast showing +13, +14, +14.... you better be open patios... YOU HEAR ME... I WILL **** YOU UP IF YOU ARE NOT.

thank you kindly

Edmonton
                I think I found only patio open today - Elephant & Castle on Whyte.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• ^nope... O'Byrnes was open along with two rooms, empress, black dog, and multiple little ones.

Downtown, UNABLE TO FIND A PATIO OPEN ANYWHERE

WTF

Comment

• Have you ever asked the proprietors of any of these restaurants why their patios aren't open, out of curiosity?
                    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

• ^I have... often I get told that they either don't have the staff or that no one wants to sit outside.

I have even been told they won't open it because it is too much of a hassle.

Comment

• Guess what, Ian? I found a couple of downtown patios open today. However, both of them were at Oliver Square - Second Cup and Brewsters.
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• ^better than nothing but still VERY WEAK.

Every year I say this, but I simply don't seem to 'get' Edmonton and Edmontonians.

Comment

I have even been told they won't open it because it is too much of a hassle.

That pretty much sums it up.

Management doesn't want to call in another serving poodle.

And the one(s) on shift think it's too much of a hassle to service it.

But on a positive note, Top_Dawg saw Rose Bowl power washing and preparing their outdoor patio over the weekend.

Not that Top_Dawg ever uses them.

He prefers to stay under cover inside for fear of a drive-by.

Comment

• Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                              He prefers to stay under cover inside for fear of a drive-by.
                              lol....why dawg? do u owe something to someone for some unfinished biz?

me, i stopped caring about patios the minute the nazis decided to ban my cigar/pipe smoke from their premises.. most of my summer socializing and beer/alcohol intake takes place at my cozy backyard deck where no one except the eventual mosquito will complaint about the smoke... i've actualy been complimented by neihbours and have even gifted a couple of my most prized Partagas sticks to them on monthly gettogethers....stupid patio elitists...

Comment

• Again,
                                Earls couldn't find any university students to hire to pose at the front gate or to loose your order
                                Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Working...
                                X