This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
    Plenty of mushroom soups use animal-based stocks, especially ones served in fancy restaurants. No animals in a can of Campbell's, but I doubt that's what they're serving at Brazen...I mean Craven...err Braven.
    Unfortunately plenty of gluten, sodium and other dietary allergens.

Its interesting how poor a job restaurants generally do on providing sufficient information on ingredients, preparation, risks, contaminants. Then cross contamination. About what it reduces to is them telling you better not order it to be on the safe side. Just walk out if you have dietary needs, restrictions, just walk out now..

The only way I can fairly ensure not getting poisoned with gluten is making it myself with carefully sourced ingredients.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• I can understand having a steakhouse in the fanciest hotel in town so deep-pocketed visitors can get gouged while they experience "Alberta Beef", I just don't get why we have a half dozen fancy steakhouses Downtown all serving the same entirely fungible meals.

Ah well, Oliver is a better neighbourhood for vegetarians/vegans, even if none of it is fancy like the swanky hotel.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Replacement View Post
        The only way I can fairly ensure not getting poisoned with gluten is making it myself with carefully sourced ingredients.
        Man, I don't know what I would do if I was gluten intolerant. I literally have a 3kg sack of gluten in my dry goods storage & it constitutes one of my primary protein sources (along with legumes).
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• ^Mixed Nuts, peanuts, trail mix, legumes of any sort were all staples for me as a vegetarian. (I'm not any longer but I limit meat in my diet) My body reacted particularly well to Garbanzo beans in a home made vegetable/curry/onion sauce on rice. Lentils soups, hummus, Tabouli salad did the trick as well. A lot of veggie dishes wouldn't leave me with that protein and energy kick or feeling nourished. Slow cooking, or lengthy cooking of some legumes or veggie stews always seemed to help.

A side benefit of living in Millwoods is having so many East Indian veggie options and stores around. All reasonably priced.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• Pea protein is the current favourite in many “meat” substitutes, since it’s readily available, basically flavourless, easily digested & a very low allergen/intolerance level in the population. I have some just to fortify smoothies.

Comment

• Yummy, gluten goodness. A popular source of protein especially amongst Asians. The better vegetarian Asian restaurants are amazing in what they can do to simulate various types of meat with gluten. I even like the stuff in the cans you can buy in Asian markets
              Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Alchemy was beautiful and has an amazing patio. A very big city feel/vibe and the snacks were delicious.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Tried the new Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ next to the old Sobeys on Jasper & 104th last week.

We had the Kabuki BBQ combo for 3 people that came with rice, a couple of appetizers and several cuts of beef, pork, chicken & shrimp. It seemed a bit pricey but the quality and quantity of the various meats made it worthwhile. A nice addition to the downtown dining options rather than having another beer & burger joint.
                  Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Concur. Delicious and quality meat.

Comment

• CTV did a spot on this place
                      http://www.haus-falkenstein.ca/
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                        CTV did a spot on this place
                        Meal includes a complete viewing of the Sound of Music.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                          CTV did a spot on this place
                          Tis a fun place, super heavy foods, great beers, pretty tasty.

Comment

Working...
                          X