Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried Rge Rd on 107 Ave & 124th back in July and was very pleased at the quality of their cuisine. Locally sourced ingredients when possible including beef from pasture fed cows that they butcher and age for 4 weeks in house. The menu changes frequently and as will the cuts of beef that are available.

I had the flank steak which was delicious despite being fairly lean thanks to the complexity of flavors from the aging. Had some delicious openers as well including perogies in a decadent sauce that were elevated well above the average.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 09-09-2019, 02:13 AM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
      Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
      Apparently both Earls and Cactus Club are eyeing up CBD locations in the vicinity of 101/102 streets.
      Excellent new; we need a few more key brands in the CBD.
      Yup, brands is what I look for when I travel to a new city. If I can't have the exact same meal I can get at home, I get a bad case of the willies. </sarcasm>

This is the thinking that's basically killed Whye Avenue as a fun, interesting place to go. Now I guess it's downtown's turn.

Comment

• A lot of people like familiarity. They can be confident of the meal they are about to get. Walking into the unknown is out of their comfort zone.
        Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
          A lot of people like familiarity. They can be confident of the meal they are about to get. Walking into the unknown is out of their comfort zone.
          There used to be a nice Earls in Edmonton Centre, as it was then called, many years ago and I enjoyed going there from time to time.

I always thought Earls was better years ago, not as expensive and good quality. In my mind they kind of lost it in pursuit of the more suburban market here and I seldom go there any more. However, corporate leadership and things change over time, so if they come back downtown I'd be glad to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
            A lot of people like familiarity. They can be confident of the meal they are about to get. Walking into the unknown is out of their comfort zone.
            Nothing like visiting New York, San Francisco, Rome, Tokyo and the like and tracking down a KFC & McDonalds so you have a place to eat.

Comment

• Grandin Fish and Chips is a lifesaver for a Celiac. Dedicated fryers for GF fish and chips are great. And like the front mini-patio space.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                Nothing like visiting New York, San Francisco, Rome, Tokyo and the like and tracking down a KFC & McDonalds so you have a place to eat.
                As I am sitting this evening in a restaurant at 11 PM on the Piazza di Santa Croce, looking at the stunning Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy...

No McDonalds in sight. Amen
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I am sure the McDonalds in those places do not only serve locals. When you are in a hurry or on a budget, you might quite possibly go there.

There are many great (and expensive) restaurants in these cities, but unless you are on an unlimited expense account you will probably not go to most of them. Of course, there probably are some great and not so expensive places there too, but they are not always easy for travelers to find or sometimes you just want something familiar.

Comment

• Are you suggesting that inexpensive places are hard to find? I've never had a problem in any of those cities. Sure, if you want to play it "safe" and just go for the global chains, you can find them easily but you'll probably go past a number of local, affordable places to get to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                      As I am sitting this evening in a restaurant at 11 PM on the Piazza di Santa Croce, looking at the stunning Basilica of Santa Croce in Florence, Italy...

No McDonalds in sight. Amen
                      Some experiences are worth spending some extra money on however some are just gussied up tourist traps. Some reviewers gets a free meal or a free stay and so writes up ahead review in exchange. Or the reviewer, travel agent gets kickbacks from the restaurant or whatever.

All these tourist “must see”s or “must do”s in some reviewer’s book - a book subsidized by the freebies the author received just cause travelling suckers to drop excessive amounts of money in some locale.

Worse, such frivolous spending drains away our domestic earnings and kills our domestic jobs.

Comment

Are you suggesting that inexpensive places are hard to find? I've never had a problem in any of those cities. Sure, if you want to play it "safe" and just go for the global chains, you can find them easily but you'll probably go past a number of local, affordable places to get to them.
                        Well its not the 1920's anymore and travel is not only an unhurried pleasurable experience for the landed gentry, although some still try to take this approach with varying degrees of success. If you have the time to spend, you can find some great out of the way places. I had a day on one trip last year that was not too busy so I did exactly that, but I also had three airports in five days, so that was the exception. If food is your only or a major focus, I am sure you can track down many great places, but it is not the only reason for traveling or even the main reason for many people.

Comment

• Green Onion Cake Man moving into Baba Finks Canteen space on RHW.

Comment

• Gonna put in a plug for Toast Culture here. I was pretty skeptical of the idea of a restaurant centered on toast, but I had read good things about it, and sure enough, it's really pretty good. I've been twice -- once for a BLT toast and another time for a pizza -- and everything was delicious. They also offer a small selection of packaged items from Bon Ton bakery for sale.
                            “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesL View Post
                              Gonna put in a plug for Toast Culture here. I was pretty skeptical of the idea of a restaurant centered on toast, but I had read good things about it, and sure enough, it's really pretty good. I've been twice -- once for a BLT toast and another time for a pizza -- and everything was delicious. They also offer a small selection of packaged items from Bon Ton bakery for sale.
                              Avacado toast has been one of the big food trends of late. Toast is certainly a good delivery vehicle for many toppings.
                              Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Stopped by Braven for dinner after work. From the minute I walked in, I was placed in very good hands by the staff. I had an 8 oz glass of pinot noir, cream of mushroom soup and a 10 oz filet mignon with tater tots - all quite excellent. Expensive but worth it. The place was fairly busy so I can only imagine what it will be like tomorrow for the Oilers' home opener.
                                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                                X