This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I've wanted to do a list like this for a while. I've finally gotten around to it. For each entry I would love to have the following: Name, short description, must try items, location.

Sankyu - Fusion Japanse/European food. Their dinner for two is a must try. 15041 Stony Plain Road NW

Tau Bay - Vietnamese Pho. Item number 1 has everything that all of the other noodles have seperately.. get this. 11302 107 Ave NW

Yokozuna - Straight authentic Japanese food (The one linked to here is the best one; Japanese Sushi Chef). Beef Tataki is the must try item here. 4121 106 Street NW

Spicy Garden - Real () Chinese food - Family Owned and operated. The snacks all taste good.. but the Green Onion Cake and Baked Seafood rice stand out. 9700 105 Ave NW

Packrat Louie - I am not really sure what to call it.. Southern food (someone correct me please )? Whatever it is, it's good. Pretty much everything is good, but I think their small menu changes. I'm sure someone here has more information on this. 10335 83 Avenue NW

Von's - Good old Steakhouse - The best Prime Rib I have tasted in this city so far. Prime Rib Tuesdays (2 for 1) is a great time to try it out! 10309 81 Avenue NW

Ban Thai - Thai Food - Another family owned and operated restaurant. The best Pad Thai and Curries around. 15726 100 Avenue NW

Dallas Pizza - Every town needs a few good Pizza places - Some pretty creative pizzas here. Thick crust and made from real ingredients. 7834 106 Avenue NW

Tasty Tomato - a "Great little Italian place" that you can take a date to - the Linguine Vongole is one of my favorites. 14233 Stony Plain Road NW

Green's - Bubble Tea, Coffee and snacks - owned and operated by a family from Taiwan (the home of Bubble Tea) - All of their Green tea drinks are excellent and the snacks are all pretty good (trust me they taste better than they sound). 5926 104 St NW in the same strip mall as Tropika.

Man, so many places I need to try... I think i'm gonna eat well for the next little bit .
    Time to grow up.

Golden Rice Bowl It might not be in the most atractive area, but it is as tasty as I've ever had. Gateway blvd

Comment

Three Bananas Cafe - Italian style restaurant right in Churchill Square. Their pizzas are some of the best in the city and remind me of my summers in Italy. If only they had a quattro fromaggio pizza

The Silk Hat - Jasper Ave. and 103rd Street. This is a slightly run down, greasy-spoon type diner, but I love it and I think it adds so much flavour and character to the urban fabric of downtown. The food is absolutely amazing, especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. The best thing is that the atmosphere isn't stiffling since the smoking ban passed.
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Koutuki Taverna on 124th St. Excellent greek food - when me and my fiancee there we had a good time and saw other people celebrating by smashing plates on the ground.
        You can also catch a show about this restaurant on the Food Network, I think the show is called "Family Restaurant".
        Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
          Three Bananas Cafe - Italian style restaurant right in Churchill Square. Their pizzas are some of the best in the city and remind me of my summers in Italy. If only they had a quattro fromaggio pizza

The Silk Hat - Jasper Ave. and 103rd Street. This is a slightly run down, greasy-spoon type diner, but I love it and I think it adds so much flavour and character to the urban fabric of downtown. The food is absolutely amazing, especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. The best thing is that the atmosphere isn't stiffling since the smoking ban passed.
          Cool! I didn't realize TBC serves stuff like pizza. I'm looking forward to checking that out on a warm summer evening.

I keep meaning to check out the Silk Hat. I just havn't got around to it yet.

Comment

Sankyu RULES!!!!

Pico Lino on 142 and ~91 avenue (near the IGA) is an AWESOME out of the way Italian spot.
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Thanh-Thanh Restaurant — Oriental Noodle House, 10718 101 St. is always a special place, great food at reasonable prices, the portions are huge and the menu extensive. At this unique Vietnamese restaurant try the Imperial rolls and the Satay soup (beef, chicken or shrimp). Keep going back. Try the Curried Chicken, anything over noodles...

Kids in the Hall in City Hall. Great food, great initiative (provides jobs to marginalized youth) and low prices.

Try a hamburger (big and tasty) or try a Monte Cristo. Try anything and try to be patient. Service is genuine and earnest but sometimes can be a little “confused”.

Sceppas Trattoria 10923 101 ST. Trattoria means casual, comfy and cheap. The Spaghetti Carbonara is a cardiologists nightmare and a food lovers dream orgasm.

Comment

Normands Jasper Avenue. My favourite resturant in the city. Everything I've tried is fantastic. They have a lot of differnet food for the adventurous -Caribou - Elk -Musk Ox. They also have great food for the not so adventurous. Also, the owner makes you feel like you are a very welocme guest in his house.

Comment

Gabbana11223 Jasper Avenue
                  The food here is awesome! I've never once had a bad meal here. The dishes are creative, healthy and extremely well priced. I would describe the food as Thai fusion.
                  The ambience inside is also great and the staff are always friendly.

Comment

Red Ox - top of connors hill area, amazing

blue plate dinner - 104st north of jasper

free press bistro - 104st south of jasper in the holiday inn - best pannini's

manor cafe - 125st 101ave - amazing

bul go gi- finding it is half the fun, near faculty st.jean....amazing korean

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Red Ox Inn is the best place in town for a classy romantic dinner, it never fails to impress!

Comment

Red Ox...ahh I never go because it just isn't a night out when its a block from my place. I really need to go though.

I know Ric's is franchised, but the try the one Downtown, it has a great atmosphere in the Old Metals Bldg. (104 st and 102 ave.)

Lazia, Main Floor ECC West :I really enjoyed this for a nice meal.

Character's 105 st and 103 ave: for an excellent evening, make sure to have 2-3 hours.

Il Porticcio 125 st & 100 ave: Best rack of lamb I have ever had, and the Tiramisu is oh so good. Maybe the best Italian...maybe.

Jack's Grill 111 st and 60ish ave: A staple of Edmonton, amazing steak.

There is a family owned Thai place...the name eludes me, but its on 106 st and 99th or 100th ave in the bottom of an office building. Its so good if you love your food spicy...and you're eating Thai so you should!

Comment

Bua Thai (113 St and Jasper Ave)
                          Across from St Joseph's Bacilica is this small, hidden gem. Probably the best Thai in the city.

Harvest Room (Hotel MacDonald, 100 St and Jasper Ave)
                          Undeniably the best brunch in the city, which requires booking 2 weeks in advance.

New Asian Village (Saskatchewan Drive and ~ 101 St)
                          Excellent view of the river valley and the city skyline, understated but exotic atmosphere, excellent food. Still regarded as one of the best Indian restaurants in town, and there's plenty of good ones here. There's a new second location somewhere in the big-box hellhole west of 170 St between Stony Plain Road and 100 Ave.

Kyoto (two locations along 109 St: at Jasper Ave and at 87 Ave)
                          Sushi that is delicious and reasonably priced. The downtown one gets very busy at lunch so book ahead.

Langano Skies (Whyte Ave and 99 St)
                          A good place to try Ethiopian cuisine. Wash your hands because you'll be eating with your fingers!

Szechuan Cuisine (Stony Plain Road and 155 St)
                          Not a nice area of town, but this family-run place opened over 20 years ago as the first Szechuan restaurant in town and still the best. Hot and Sour Soup is awesome, and their Ginger Chicken is to die for.

Matahari (124 St and Jasper Ave)
                          Can't miss it as you turn the corner from Jasper to 124 St. Pan-Asian cuisine, primarily encompassing Thai, Vietnamese and Malaysian. Funky decor featuring a long fountain in the middle of the room.

Sunterra (2nd floor, Commerce Place - Jasper Ave and 102 St)
                          A great place to go for a quick downtown lunch - soup, salads, sammiches, hot plates. If you can find a seat along the outside during a weekday noon hour, it's an excellent people-watching spot.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                            . If you can find a seat along the outside during a weekday noon hour, it's an excellent people-watching spot.
                            Guilty as charged...
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Chicken for Lunch in Scotia Place (Amy the friendly owner won’t always remember your name, but you are always her friend nonetheless.) Get there early or be prepared to wait, Telus workers et al. converge on this place by 11:30. Have the chicken (what else?) ginger, hot and dry etc. the food here is stupendous, the service extremely personable and if you didn’t get there early enough—well worth your wait.

Fat Franks (in front of the rock on Rice Howard Way), best selection of condiments and the street parade is always interesting! Try a Jalapeño Smokie to shake your taste buds up.

Bistro Praha Gourmet Cafe’. This downtown staple has been around for years for a reason; great European style dishes at reasonable prices. Try the fried cheese, the goulash or the schnitzel. 10168 100A ST NW (i.e. Rice Howard Way).

CO CO Di Restaurant. Never busy and I don’t know why, maybe because so many restaurants have been and gone in this location over the years. Food is hummus meets downtown practically. Have a simple cheeseburger, cooked well (as in this cow is dead!) and served fast. 10160 100A Street NW (Another Rice Howard Way locale.)

La Table de Renoir. Parisian chic and yes the Renoir is related “that Renoir”. Any special, any time, is a necessary try. 10046 101A Avenue NW, Not on Rice Howard Way this time but just around the block, this is nestled in the little courtyard (liberal use of the word) between Scotia Place and the Ramsay Block---great view of the parkade entrance to Scotia Place!

Renato Ristorante. Great Italian in a so-so location that is tricky to find. The Spaghetti Bolognese is how Mama would have made it if Mama had been Italian and a great cook! 9515 118 AVE NW.

Luisa Ristorante, down-home great Italian food. Cozy place (as in small) so reserve a table in advance. Try the Shrimps Sambucca (OMG). (104, 8 Perron ST, St. Albert; well worth the drive to “downtown” St. Albert.)

Comment

Working...
                              X