The Burg coming in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good link Medwards.

But to be frank, Top_Dawg figgers most of those reviews were from shortly after they opened when they were working out the kinks.

Top_Dawg only ate there once and that was a long time ago.

So he can't definitively comment about the food.

But Top_Dawg always gets good service.

No issues there.

Comment

• I consider myself reasonably picky (but realistic) about food and service at restaurants, and overall I think the Burg is reasonably decent. Their prices are quite a bit more reasonable now that the burgers come with sides. I've eaten there around half a dozen times, and as far as I recall the food was quite good each time. The people I was with agreed as well. Really the main issue for me has been mediocre service.

That being said, I wouldn't be too broken up if some other establishment took over. I'm not a big burger guy, and something with a bigger menu and more variety would be welcome. I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger. The concept just isn't that attractive to most people, I don't think.

As far as the Yelp thing goes, people have long memories if they have a bad experience. It would take a ton of convincing to get me back to the Mercer for a meal after I had 2 absolutely awful experiences there. Also, Yelp is kind of a terrible website for reviews. They basically extort business owners to remove bad reviews. I'd go more with something like UrbanSpoon, TripAdvisor, Google Reviews etc.
      Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-04-2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• For your info:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant...n_Alberta.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1745...-Burg-Edmonton

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...d7eb8e9edf32,1

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-burg-edmonton

They're all in the same ballpark. Somewhere between 3-4 stars out of 5.

Comment

• I ate at "The Burg" once, and found it to be mehhh, not terrible, but not good value nor a place that interested me in returning. This was 1.5 year ago when they had a bad beer selection and sides were not included.

I found something strange about the place and amateurish that I couldn't put my finger on, the best I can compare it to is restaurants owned by passionate hobbyists who know nothing of the actual restaurant business, but try and make a go of it anyways. They talked a good game about their burgers and pickles, and yet, they delivered a pretty ordinary product (I seriously could not tell their pickles from store-bought) and seemed half-hearted about everything else. It was a Saturday night and every other place was hopping which is why we ended up going to that end of town, and they were practically dead. They had an heir then like they were going to go out of business soon.

Yet they managed to last. Now, that it's up for sale for 'appraisal purposes only" just adds to that strangeness, making me think the place has been some weird real-estate speculation all along.
          Last edited by Snake Eyes; 13-04-2015, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger.
            Agreed. For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months. I'd say 42 of them don't eat red meat. Now, I don't know if that's why they're single, or if such a high percentage of women don't like food, but it sure can't be helping a place like The Burg that has only burgers on the menu.
            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
              Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
              I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger.
              Agreed. For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months. I'd say 42 of them don't eat red meat. Now, I don't know if that's why they're single, or if such a high percentage of women don't like food, but it sure can't be helping a place like The Burg that has only burgers on the menu.
              ...50...? Good god man, are you a founder of Tinder or something??

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                My girlfriend has said that The Burg's veggie patty is actually extremely good. She's a recovering vegetarian, but has the occasional relapse.

Comment

• IMHO, I think it's the wrong location for a specialty burger place. It would be great as a mid-range pub, with a good beer selection and a small but varied menu. Something that would be attractive to the 45-minute lunch crowd, and also attractive to the after-hours crowd looking for a place to have a beer and relax.

Comment

• Would splitting it up into a dining lounge and a separate lounge make it better or worse ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                      Would splitting it up into a dining lounge and a separate lounge make it better or worse ?
                      I can't remember the size of the place offhand, would work for the pub idea, but I don't think it would be a good idea with burger only concept ,but I think the burger-only concept is not a good idea to begin with.

Comment

For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months.
                        In your dreams.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                          Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                          For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months.
                          In your dreams.
                          Huh, and I'm probably lowballing it... Didn't say anything about making it to a second date though! My life is like Groundhog Day with first dates. I'd be shocked if the bartenders at Sugarbowl don't have a running bet on when I'll actually see the same girl a second time.

That lends context to my thread on great date spots, because I'm sick of first interviews dates at the same places.
                          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Originally posted by snake eyes View Post
                            imho, i think it's the wrong location for a specialty burger place. It would be great as a mid-range pub, with a good beer selection and a small but varied menu. Something that would be attractive to the 45-minute lunch crowd, and also attractive to the after-hours crowd looking for a place to have a beer and relax.
                            Keg!
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• I was thinking more like Elephant & Castle -- minus the British kitsch and with actually good food. A modern Pub or bistro, a place with relaxed atmosphere to grab a meal or a drink.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake Eyes View Post
                                I was thinking more like Elephant & Castle -- minus the British kitsch and with actually good food. A modern Pub or bistro, a place with relaxed atmosphere to grab a meal or a drink.
                                So basically what Kelly's should have been, instead of the steaming pile of suck it is?

Comment

Working...
                                X