• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Grill closes

https://edmontonjournal.com/life/foo...tters-for-good

Sad to hear, but an amazing run.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

as noted in another thread, larry operated a high quality restaurant with a good reputation at the same location for almost a quarter of a century.

i don't know the circumstances behind the closing or if he was trying to avoid that up until the last moment before making the announcement.

in any case, he was a pioneer in jasper east village/the quarters and would have served thousands of memorable meals from what was once the w.w.arcade hardware store which inspired the restaurant's name and logos.

we - and many others - will have good memories of the hardware grill and wish larry well in whatever is next for him.
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Typical Dt overpriced crap pretentious awful place.

yawn

Nothing was worse than their sad attempt to milk bucks out of people in their Alberta hotel attempt, Tavern 1903.
        Really don't get the appeal of these places.

I just want to get fed without getting robbed. Its food people, simply fuel.

Brazen glazen corn fed Beefalo mesquite rubbed confit with a hint of ash that looks like it survived a firestorm and drowned in some sort of sauce to hide the flame torch marks they used to "grill" it on a bed of alpaca milled quixotic unknown ancient grain. Then spill a salt shaker over the whole sordid mess.

78bucks..

rip highway robbery
        Last edited by Replacement; 08-09-2019, 11:52 AM.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
          Typical Dt overpriced crap pretentious awful place.

yawn

Nothing was worse than their sad attempt to milk bucks out of people in their Alberta hotel attempt, Tavern 1903.
          Really don't get the appeal of these places.

I just want to get fed without getting robbed. Its food people, simply fuel.

Brazen glazen corn fed Beefalo mesquite rubbed confit with a hint of ash that looks like it survived a firestorm and drowned in some sort of sauce to hide the flame torch marks they used to "grill" it.

78bucks..

rip highway robbery
          maybe it's a good thing not everyone wants just what you want or is satisfied with just what satisfies you?

maybe we could track down moahunter and the two of you could open up edmonton's first soylent green eatery together?

Comment

I know I've posted this before, but I will forever associate Replacement with The Food Dude:

“Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

^
              ^^
              I don't mind good food, I'm a pretty accomplished cook around the kitchen. I prepare better food than anything I've found in any restaurant here. So its more that I'm against the typical haphazard overpriced swill they serve in Edmontons typical "fine dining" establishments.

The Hardware Grill was one of a series of pretentious boring DT establishments serving old farts raised on Earls type dreck.

The less of these places the better.

This more resembles my take on todays fine dining.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/delusi...pub-havrilesky

Its simply an industry of dreck with establishments that are routinely just about bilking customers whom they hold in utter contempt.

Spend some time in any restaurant kitchen and you'll wonder why you aren't preparing ALL your meals at home.
              Last edited by Replacement; 08-09-2019, 12:11 PM.
              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

^

as i said, maybe it's a good thing not everyone wants just what you want or is satisfied with just what satisfies you.

besides, regardless of your culinary skills, i don't think your kitchen and dining room will take my reservations or offer multiple options for my guests to choose or to share any time or day i want.

as for your link, it says more about the pretentiousness of opinionated and verbose reviewers, not the restaurants who prepared and served the meals. something you are being equally guilty of displaying here.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                  ^

as i said, maybe it's a good thing not everyone wants just what you want or is satisfied with just what satisfies you.

besides, regardless of your culinary skills, i don't think your kitchen and dining room will take my reservations or offer multiple options for my guests to choose or to share any time or day i want.

as for your link, it says more about the pretentiousness of opinionated and verbose reviewers, not the restaurants who prepared and served the meals. something you are being equally guilty of displaying here.
                  Delusion at the Gastropub is a prescient take down of todays fine dining house of cards. its an excellent informed review of an overpriced industry that deserves to be dismantled.

It isn't the reviewers fault the emperor has no clothes, its just describing the 5 buck water.

Its just exposing one more form of rampant unchecked corporate greed.

Not sure you would even disagree with its stated premise;

"But if one trait characterizes Americans with lots of disposable income, it’s their tireless compulsion to dispose of that income in brand new ways. The more pedestrian the product in question, the greater its seeming potential to evoke untold volumes of feeling and meaning. A few centuries into the future, inhabitants of a ravaged globe may look back on this time as the crucial moment at which delusional fervor around unremarkable, overpriced things reached its apex."

Comment

^
                    ^^
                    I don't mind good food, I'm a pretty accomplished cook around the kitchen. I prepare better food than anything I've found in any restaurant here. So its more that I'm against the typical haphazard overpriced swill they serve in Edmontons typical "fine dining" establishments.

The Hardware Grill was one of a series of pretentious boring DT establishments serving old farts raised on Earls type dreck.

The less of these places the better.

This more resembles my take on todays fine dining.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/delusi...pub-havrilesky

Its simply an industry of dreck with establishments that are routinely just about bilking customers whom they hold in utter contempt.

Spend some time in any restaurant kitchen and you'll wonder why you aren't preparing ALL your meals at home.
                    I don’t appreciate spending a small fortune on food - but that just reflects my priorities, experience, circle of friends, tastebuds and a whole lot of other factors. If someone can open a restaurant and meet a demand whether it’s taste, preparation, sourcing, ambience/ambiance, fad or whatever, the more power to them.

That said I think you’re wrong to debase what was obviously a successful entrepreneurial effort. Good on them I’d say. They created transactions and work and it was local spending that was done so with a lot of satisfaction by many people over many years.

SWIRL NOT SPILL - the spending swirled about in our economy and it didn’t spill out as it does in, say vacations to Paris, New York etc. To me that is a needed type of entrepreneur effort for us here in this heavily extraction dependent city. (Massive export oriented entrepreneurship is needed though.)

As for food, long as it’s safely and cleanly prepared and served I don’t know why people become all emotional about these so called high end or low end establishments. To me it’s just food and just a passing experience. I guess it’s somewhat orgasmic to some people.

So while food isn’t a big deal for me, I can easily drop a small fortune on the many other outlets for our disposable income. I’m sure people would find my priorities nuts too.

As for spending time in restaurants, I have and I continue to do so because I don’t enjoy spending time cooking at home or buying groceries in stores. Additionally I spent part of my working career following incredibly tedious procedures (building yield curves/interpolations, etc.) and finding no joy in it. Just a necessary task to me to accomplish the job. Similarly following recipes has never brought me joy and only served (no pun intended) to reduce my appreciation of the final product. I quickly tire of eating out but not because quality is ever an issue.

My general attitude is that only when my creativity of superior skills or just plain old savings (time, money, emotion, etc) exceeds the cost of having a professional do something for me do I feel more satisfied than just getting it done pretty well or exceedingly well by a professional.

My renovations brought me little joy because I wasn’t allowed to be creative. I ended up with a standard end product. The only satisfaction over hiring professionals was in saving tens of thousands of dollars for a near equivalent end product.
                    Last edited by KC; 08-09-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I just find it amusing how Replacement is so skilled in the kitchen and thinks he could cook circles around the city’s most skilled chefs. It’s laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                        I just find it amusing how Replacement is so skilled in the kitchen and thinks he could cook circles around the city’s most skilled chefs. It’s laughable.
                        Not at all. I care about what I serve family and friends, take pride in it. I'm not some angry burnt out chef in a kitchen (and these can be found anywhere in the industry) that has come to hate what they do for a living long before I sit down in any such establishment.

Cuisine, food preparation is not rocket science, really isn't and I'll take my chances eating at a friends place that cares about us then some unknown establishment that only cares about whats in your wallet.

Comment

Maybe he can. The fact is that he isn’t. And it seems that he’s chosen not to or he’d have a restaurant of work in one. Why he so viciously and enthusiastically bashes those that do or try to do, I don’t know.

Life isn’t simple. A supremely high level of skill at some task is rarely enough. Running a restaurant is running a business. Managing, staffing, accounting, taxes... each steals time from the real passion.
                          Last edited by KC; 08-09-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                            Maybe he can. The fact is that he isn’t. And it seems that he’s chosen not to or he’d have a restaurant of work in one. Why he so viciously and enthusiastically bashes those that do or try to do, I don’t know.

Life isn’t simple. A supremely high level of skill at some task is rarely enough. Running a restaurant is running a business. Managing, staffing, accounting, taxes... each steals time from the real passion.
                            If you're asking I rail against over consumption, copious greed, and the overriding mindset that the end goal in life is more money, more spending money, more Hummers and Jaguars and 100buck plates of food. All driven through unsustainable, unchecked exploitation. more more more

Read the article. It sums up some of my takes reasonably well.

A good life lived is not simply had by throwing more money at it. That's the entire fiction that places like Hardware Grill are all about.

I simply refuse to worship at the alter of crass consumerism in any of its forms and mock such avarice openly for its conceit and contempt while mankind busy destroying the planet so that people can pay copiously for the most mundane prandial amusements.

btw my favorite ironic name for any offering is amuse bouche.
                            Last edited by Replacement; 08-09-2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post

If you're asking I rail against over consumption, copious greed, and the overriding mindset that the end goal in life is more money, more spending money, more Hummers and Jaguars and 100buck plates of food. All driven through unsustainable, unchecked exploitation. more more more

Read the article. It sums up some of my takes reasonably well.

A good life lived is not simply had by throwing more money at it. That's the entire fiction that places like Hardware Grill are all about.

I simply refuse to worship at the alter of crass consumerism in any of its forms and mock such avarice openly for its conceit and contempt while mankind busy destroying the planet so that people can pay copiously for the most mundane prandial amusements.

btw my favorite ironic name for any offering is amuse bouche.
                              Have you ever even eaten at a very high end restaurant like this?

Comment

Working...
                              X