Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Indeed!

An earlier paragraph in the article:

The demise of the Hardware Grill he attributes to multiple indirect factors.

The city’s promise of major re-development in The Quarters never happened. Customers were frustrated with downtown vehicular access, with non-stop road closures and a huge jump in street parking costs. The ND government’s bump-up of the minimum wage, to $15 an hour, added more costs when revenue was stagnant at best.
    I call b.s. on Hicks implying that Larry Stewart is blaming the NDP minimum wage increase. I highly, highly doubt any employee were making under $15/hour before the minimum wage increase.

But like you said, Hicks has to put in his dig at the NDP.

Comment

Hicks makes David Shill-ples look like Woodward and/or Bernstein.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement
        The real story is Stewart probably made a foolish move, probably got a bit big headed with success and figured he was going to be King Midas with anything he touched. A classic mistake in the business franchise world.

Has anyone told you that you're a jerk or much worse? Seriously, this guy's life's work just went poof and he's likely facing personal bankruptcy (he's named in a recent statement of claim in the mid 6 figure range filed by an equipment supplier), and you're tap dancing on his grave for all intents and purposes. You don't know the first thing about him or his business history other than what you've read in one or two news articles. Based on that you label him a greedy prick deserving of going out of business. Get off it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
          Originally posted by Replacement
          The real story is Stewart probably made a foolish move, probably got a bit big headed with success and figured he was going to be King Midas with anything he touched. A classic mistake in the business franchise world.

Has anyone told you that you're a jerk or much worse? Seriously, this guy's life's work just went poof and he's likely facing personal bankruptcy (he's named in a recent statement of claim in the mid 6 figure range filed by an equipment supplier), and you're tap dancing on his grave for all intents and purposes. You don't know the first thing about him or his business history other than what you've read in one or two news articles. Based on that you label him a greedy prick deserving of going out of business. Get off it.

I don't know the guy personally, have no sympathies to him, and I'm not going to manufacture some for a guy that had establishments that ripped off customers as well as allegedly others. I call it as I see it which is just my honest view. Jerk? I'm sure we've both been thought of that way. Don't hurt my feelings.

Tap dancing on his grave? How dramatic.

In anycase what you quoted is framed in "probably". Which is probably not far off the mark..Given present circumstances you can I guess attempt to argue that he made consistent prudent owner decisions. Good luck with that.

I dare say we are only getting one story and perhaps related to why he is being sued, did not meet lease conditions, etc. I realize Stewart is seen in as a bit of a hero here for doing business in the Quarters, but it seems theres some other backstory too. He's got nothing but good press all along due to his Quarters investment.

hey, but you'll flame the owner of the former Hyatt any chance you get. You've had no lack of things to say about that owner. So much for consistency.

Go yell at the internet some more.
          Last edited by Replacement; 11-10-2019, 07:38 AM.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Replacement, have you or your family ever owned a business?

Or done any direct equity investing of your savings?

Comment

Just put that tedious old fool on Ignore and move on.
              I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                Replacement, have you or your family ever owned a business?

Or done any direct equity investing of your savings?
                Yes to both. Didn't get overextended in either, had success in both, and with decent planning and awareness of potential problems. I've taken specific post secondary course work in business as well and don't go into any endeavor lightly. Not sure how its relevant.

The business world is what it is, its cutthroat, unforgiveable by its nature. Expose yourself to losing your shirt and you could lose your shirt. . Its no place in which to make critical errors in judgment. Any business owner knows this going in.
                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Nothing wrong with speculating what went wrong with a business. We do it all the time in this forum.

Just last week, people posting in another thread had theories on why Tony Roma's shut down at Bonnie Doon. Lots of comments about it being a lousy restaurant. But for some reason the Hardware Grill gets a free pass...even in it's death?

The bottom line is Larry Stewart allowed it to fail. At one time he was the king of restaurateurs in this city. He couldn't do no wrong! The media waxed poetic over him. And even in his "death" the local media still let him off lightly.

I won't be dancing on Larry's grave. Instead I will celebrate local business owners who are able to make measured business decisions and stay relevant with the times. Daniel Costa of Corso 32 and Teresa Spinelli of the Italian Centre are sharp business owners. They are two examples of owners who are able to expand their successful business and still thrive.

Thank you Larry for raising the culinary scene in Edmonton. Thanks for mentoring chefs who have moved on to open their own excellent restaurants.

But I don't feel sorry for Larry. He had his day. How could he have failed? I feel sorry for the suddenly unemployed Hardware employees. I feel sorry for anyone who now has a worthless Hardware gift certificate (suckers!).

Comment

Working...
                  X