Elephant & Castle closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant & Castle closing

EDMONTON – After decades in business along Whyte Avenue, the historic Elephant & Castle pub is shutting down.

According to a post on the pub’s Facebook page, the bar will be closed Dec. 21.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2400400/lo...ing-its-doors/
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Sad news. I haven't been there in probably 10 years but always enjoyed the patio.

Might have to go there for my last mutton 'wich.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

^don't bother. The memories are much better than the real thing in this case.

Comment

The E&C was practically my office during the 2006 NHL playoffs, but I have not been there in quite some time after I moved out of the area. A lot of memories...

Comment

As I mentioned in the Whyte Ave thread, there's only a few E&C's left in Canada, there used to be a quite a few more locations IIRC. So it must dying a slow death.
          http://www.elephantcastle.com/
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

My opinion is that the OJ's guys bought it for their locations/leases.
            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

the best part was grabbing a pint during a premier league/world cup game or an oilers game. state and main opening there along with downtown tho? probably another fion mccools like in city centre...

Comment

this restaurant is long gone in Ontario yrs ago
                Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Top_Dawg really enjoys E&C.

There are a lot of bars on Whyte, but there are very few good ones. ( Most are shitholes. )

E&C and O2s are the best.

Best bar staff on the Ave.

By the way, Top_Dawg heard that O2s will be closing their ground floor level in the new year. Will only retain the second level which is currently being renovated and rooftop patio.

Comment

^makes sense, huge space.

Do we think State and Main for E&C?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

According to this article, there's already plans afoot for the Whyte E&C
                      http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...e-on-whyte-ave

A statement from the pub’s parent company, Calgary-based FranWorks Group of Companies, hinted at a new venture on that site.

“FranWorks is considering maintaining this space and rebranding it in the New Year,” the statement said.

FranWorks also owns Original Joe’s locations in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, as well as State & Main restaurants.
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

How much space is in there if they gut it? It seems terribly laid out as it is now.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                          How much space is in there if they gut it? It seems terribly laid out as it is now.
                          If they removed the main floor bar and moved it to the back near the kitchen entrance it would open up quite a bit of floor space.

Comment

I could maybe get behind an OJs like the one at High Street. But I hope not State and Main the building is way too nice and historic feeling for anything too slick.

Comment

They have State and Main south side, Jasper, whyte makes sense from a brand perspective... OJs is around the corner per se.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X