X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taste of Edmonton 2014

Taste of Edmonton 2014
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...food-festival/

organizers have tweaked other offerings since last year’s big re-brand, which saw Sip ‘n Savour added to the line-up. The Sip ‘n Savour tent, which housed chefs, classes and producers, was located in a low-profile spot last year and people wandered suspiciously around it, rather than entering, possibly due to the fact that it was also fenced off and had a bit of a “don’t come here we’re VIPs” feel to it. This year, the Sip ‘n Savour tent is smack in the middle of the square.

“It will be a more high-profile location and the spot to be,” says Lucas, noting the beer garden has been moved to the grassy area on the east side of the square.
    The festival itself has grown, with 12 new restaurants, five new food trucks and 53 new menu items (incuding 32 gluten-free dishes) added to the mix. This year, a total of 49 restaurants and 12 food trucks are involved. Each vendor must prepare roughly 10,000 food samples during the festival.

Also new are the portion sizes, which are smaller and sold for a fewer number of tickets (about three), making it possible for participants to try more new foods without blowing their budget and feeling stuffed. All good.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Starts this week!
    http://tasteofedm.ca/

Advance ticket sale until 6 PM tomorrow. 40 tix for $40 plus GST
    http://www.tixonthesquare.ca/event/s...on/detail/273/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I assume they will still have a beer garden type area? Perhaps I am being daft and keep missing it on the PDF.

Comment

Taste of wine and beer/spirits

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
          Taste of wine and beer/spirits
          A Sip of Edmonton?

Comment

We bought some of the special event tix that are also happening there - and off site.

http://www.tixonthesquare.ca/search/...mple/?q=pop-up

Comment

The article in the first post said they were moving the beer garden out of the square. But looking at Taste's map, that doesn't appear to be the case. Looks like they are moving the band stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                The article in the first post said they were moving the beer garden out of the square. But looking at Taste's map, that doesn't appear to be the case. Looks like they are moving the band stage.
                Its all up now you can walk it. We did last night. Its an odd layout with the stage sitting at South end - so spectators have to look into the sun at noon.

Comment

The Chancery Hall in front of the brochure looks slick. I noticed Edmonton images are better presented since Tour of Alberta last year.

Tried Jamaican Jerk Chicken yesterday, not new dish but good.

Comment

It was wall-to-wall peoples at noon today, thanks to the parade.

Comment

Not a far of this years layout... there is no real room to eat once you get something. I'm okay with crowds... but they've really jammed everything in, and it might be a bit too crowded.

Comment

Finally made it down to the Taste of Edmonton this afternoon.

Some quick and snappy 5 star reviews:

Smokehouse BBQ food truck - Bacon Bomb Slider ****
                        First thing I encountered when I got there - I was hungry. At least there's no 3 hour wait here, unlike at a What The Truck event.

Hoang Long - Beef Lemongrass Skewer: *****
                        A favorite from past years.

Mercer Tavern - Bacon Wrapped Scallops: **
                        Hey, anyone else fondly remember when you had several of these on a skewer, and not just a couple of puny morsels on top of a bowl of corn?

IRIE - Jerk Chicken: **1/2
                        It was OK but I am perplexed as to why everyone lines up for hours for jerk chicken during Cariwest.

Langano Skies - Ingera and Doro Wat: *****
                        Love Ethiopian food though not overly keen on eating with hands

Normands - Smoked Bison Carpaccio: ***
                        Not bad, but miniscule offering

Pampa - Rump Steak: ****
                        Pampa - Chicken Thigh: ****
                        choose either, you won't be disappointed

Cheesecake Cafe - Stuffed Mushrooms: *1/2
                        Meh. Just meh.

Select - Mac & Cheese: ****
                        I liked this from last year, glad its back

Sabor Divino - Bacon Bullets: ****
                        Nice, will have to try their prawns on my next visit

Sutton Place: chocolate shooter: *****
                        my traditional dessert ending

Taste of Wine: Tyrell's Chardonnay: *****
                        nice quencher to end the day

I'm a bit iffy on the new layout, although I understand it was necessary to add more food vendors. The Taste of Wine booth is hidden away and hard to find unless you had a guide - that needs better signage.
                        Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-07-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hit up Taste of Edmonton again.

Sabor Divino - Piri Piri Prawns *****
                          Orgasmic!

Underground Tap & Grill - Bison Slider ****
                          Delicious little burger, I must say.

Canicus Wood Fired Pizza (food truck) - Spicy Pizza ***1/2
                          Huge lineup for this but worth it; had a nice spicy kick to it.

Canadian Brewhouse - Angus Gold Steak Bites *****
                          Another annual favorite

Three Amigos - Chicken Burrito Norteno ***
                          A little bit better than last year.

Cheesecake Cafe - White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Stick ***
                          It was alright, but IMO hardly worth standing in a massive lineup for.

The Common - Chocolate Mousse w/ Poprocks *****
                          Now this was a seriously awesome dessert.

Lemon Heaven - Lemonade ****
                          A nice thirst quencher and food wash-downer

Taste of Wine - Bougrier Vouvray Chenin Blanc ***
                          It's a good wine with a touch of sweetness, though I prefer something bit more dry.
                          Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 22-07-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

C'mon people don't be shy - let's see some reviews of the eats and drink

Comment

OK at the Sip and Savour last night we had:

beef tongue tacos ****
                              oxtail in hand rolled pasta ***
                              beef tenderloin *****
                              other stuff ****
                              all the above 2 tix each

wines (all chosen for that nights event) 2 tickets *****
                              Gurvinder from Vinomania selected wines for the event and he paired the wines with the food and he was spot on as always.
                              We paid $10.00 each to get in (lnline tics before they sold out) and that came with 1 glass of an excellent spanish rose cava . Great value these events and chance to meet people, chat with the chefs, say hello to Gurvinder.

On other nights we had:
                              Pampa: Chicken thighs with Bacon ****
                              Pampa: Rump Steak ****

Comment

Working...
                              X