Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With soylent would your kitchen be a luxury room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
    ^some reviews say it has a similar consistency to semen. Still, no cooking...
    Or did they mean Seamen?

Soylent Green "Now fish flavored with real seamen!"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

We don't have to eat soylent, yet, but I imagine the day will come, sooner rather later, when it will be the subsistence diet for the 99%.

As for additives and what not -- it's easy enough to label anything you like in any way you like.

Comment

OK, I'm using soylent now, its available to Canadian's, and relativley cheap. I am replacing dinner with it, so one pack lasts for two nights. The latest version, 1.5, does not require added oils or similar. Its fully vegan, and meets recommended fat / protein / carb needs.

My review? I love it - easy to prepare. Its cheap. Tastes ok (a bit like mild soy milk). That 2,000 calories for two days meets half of my macro and micro nutrient needs. And, I don't feel hungry after. Beats junk food, or pre-packaged food. Two people in my work who also live alone at the moment, have also decided to try it, and are liking it. I'll put in a plug, if you want to try it, per below:

www.soylent.com

There are people living just on Soylent now. I read they needed to tweak the formula a bit to add more salt because people were fainting without it, I guess over time it will get better.
        Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Beats .. pre-packaged food.
          Isn't that the same?

It's not a diet fad, is it? You can still supplement your Soylent shake with a prime rib steak, sushi, etc..

Comment

^I guess you are right, its packaged food, although its nutritionally complete (unlike a TV dinner), even meets fiber needs. I am just using to replace a couple of meals, but it could be used just to replace snacks or similar.

Its not a diet fad, more a creation by a bunch of geeky people who don't want to bother to make food anymore. Its got broader application though I think. For example, if you were to replace your meals with a product like Ensure, you would be ingesting a huge amount of sugar (and it would cost a lot). With this product, that's not a concern.
            Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015, 03:07 PM.

Comment

There is a new "Soylent"-esque product called Ambronite that supposedly tastes better, and is made with 100% organic foods rather than extracts and artificial supplements.

http://us.ambronite.com/

Seems to me that this might be good while lightweight hiking. I can't imagine why someone would want to replace meals with this junk. That is just cutting out the best part of life - eating.

Comment

^massive difference in price and different shelf life. Personally, I don't believe GMO's are harmful, but can pay if think otherwise.

As to me, I'm still eating fruit / vegetables for lunch, and my regular breakfast (eggs, toast, or similar). I just find, living alone, this is a very convienent way to make dinner. And, I'm not alone in being lazy about dinner, as any supermarket will show you (filled with processed junk full of sugar or salt / not even trying to be nutritionally complete).

Here's a comparo of the two (note, Soylent has improved quite a bit since this article):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...its-not-cheap/

Soylent’s runaway crowdfunding success (and its large DIY community) has made it clear that there’s a geek market for easy-to-prepare nutrition, but inherent mistrust of "lab food" is still a huge roadblock to widespread adoption. Ambronite handily leaps that barrier, offering what it categorizes as comparable nutrition benefits. However, as with foods of all types, Ambronite’s organic components come at a huge premium over Soylent’s processed ingredients.
                Another interesting quote:

Rhinehart acknowledges we will never know everything about the human diet. But he counters that the bulk of the company’s investment is poured into optimizing Soylent’s nutritional profile based on established knowledge and current research; most other modern food companies spend their money on marketing. He rejects the idea that another system is already optimized for human nutrition: natural food.

“Plants didn’t evolve to sustain humans, they evolved to sustain themselves. It’s really somewhat of a workaround that we’ve put so much work into agriculture and selective breeding,” he says. “What if we just looked at the specifics of what we need nutritionally and tried to get those directly? I find that a much more efficient process.”

Rhinehart also believes that food-processing technology, when harnessed for consumer good rather than corporate profit, is far more efficient than relying on many smaller laboratories filled with variable equipment, a.k.a the home kitchen. He noted the massive scale of food waste, for one. But Soylent’s plan isn’t to replace cooking entirely.

“Cooking should be more of a hobby. Eating should be more of a social activity rather than a manufacturing bottleneck, where you have to produce these calories for your body every single day. Doing so with manual labour seems a little arcane.”
                http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...to-canada.html
                Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

^I guess you are right, its packaged food, although its nutritionally complete (unlike a TV dinner), even meets fiber needs. I am just using to replace a couple of meals, but it could be used just to replace snacks or similar.

Its not a diet fad, more a creation by a bunch of geeky people who don't want to bother to make food anymore. Its got broader application though I think. For example, if you were to replace your meals with a product like Ensure, you would be ingesting a huge amount of sugar (and it would cost a lot). With this product, that's not a concern.
                  Cripes, how lazy can people get if they don't want to make food anymore.
                  I get real tired of these princesses on who say they don't cook or, better yet, they don't know how to cook. Food is not just to sustain us, it's also a reason we sit down as families or socialize with friends etc. I fail to see how drinking some green/blue/yellow/whatever goo is going keep people happy for any length of time. If a person has been under the weather or just wants to loose a few quick pounds I guess at a stretch this stuff could be useful. By no means should it be used as a product that is taken to replace too many meals. There is absolutely very little to digesting these types of products. We need the bulk that actually food produces to keep stomach and bowel muscles working. Getting back to not cooking or not knowing how to cook. You people out there who fall under this banner please get help. If you have kids it's not healthy for them to be brought up on take-outs, pre-packaged foods, refined crap and supplementary liquids.
                  Enjoy food but eat everything in moderation and try to move around a bit.
                  Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    Cripes, how lazy can people get if they don't want to make food anymore. .
                    You mean, like about 90% of the population, who seem to just buy packaged food (like pasta sauce or KD or Hamburger helper) and heat it up? Have a look next time you go shopping at the cart next to you, and how much of the food will result in real cooking, versus something they are going to microwave or heat up that meets few nuritional needs and is full of potentially harmful substances (excess sugars, salts, artificial flavours).

Its interesting, we have dishwashers, clothes washers, clothes dryers. What so scary about automating the food aspect, and at least having nutritionally complete food (has fiber) as opposed to what most people are eating today (hence the obestiy epidemic)? If everyone only had Soylent in the correct calorie amounts, then the population would be much more healthy than is currently the case with most people overweight or obese. Its fine to preach "everyone should eat raw food" or "everyone should cook without processed food", but the reality today, when people are living alone, or both partners working full time, is that most people are failing miserably. Having a snack glass of Soylent beats reaching for the Lays any day of the week, its just as cheap, and fills you up just as much.
                    Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

^For one thing your nutritionally complete food will taste the same every time drink it. How boring is that. It may have fibre in it but it has no bulk. I should imagine after a few days of drinking it you would be bored out your mind and have diarrhea/constipation to contend with.
                      As for looking at the shopping cart next to me in the supermarket. Well, if I was next to you and you were buying supplementary drinks I would either think you were trying to loose a few pounds, had someone sick at home, to lazy to cook or at the worst, had an eating disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                        ^ you would be bored out your mind and have diarrhea/constipation to contend with.
                        I've been using for about 3 weeks now for dinner, and aren't bored of it yet, I look forward to each night. Its no worse than the rice and beef or chicken dish I used to make most evenings. On the bowle movements, its perfectly normall on the product, you still have just like do with regular food.

Comment

Diverting people from junk food/processed food etc. is a good thing. Re-directing them to supplementary drinks is not. Everything should be on the table but the key ingredient is moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                            Gross.

I love to cook, and I'm quite good at it. I can cook a tasty, nutritional meal in under a half hour for $10, and have leftovers for lunch the next day

Can't say the idea of soylent is appealing in the least.
                            When I was single and young, I could barely boil rice, but then after gaining weight and a health scare I had to learn to cook. I consider knowing how to cook basic meals in a reasonable amount of time one of the best life skills one could have.

Comment

^Kudo's to you.
                              Even stir-fry is a quick meal. Raw veggies, chicken/beef/pork/tofu thrown in with sauce of your choice. Can be made real fast and it's nutritional.

Comment

^frying food creates carcionogens (just saying ). Nothing is perfect, and nothing is "right". I think Soylent is a valid option as part of a healthy diet and would help a lot of people, but to each their own. I won't stop cooking, eating or enjoying food, but its a lot less hassel now, and I'm a lot more sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need.
                                Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X