Hong Kong Style Cafe need STAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hong Kong Style Cafe need STAT

Does any one know of a decent hong kong style cafe in Edmonton? I am craving some shredded duck and cabbage soup with house made noodles right about now...

if not that, then a decent bowl of shrimp won ton soup with bbq pork!!??!?!?!

right after i posted this, i googled Café De Tropika, the menue looks decent and has lots of dishes consistent with hong kong style...i hope to try it out this week, anybody been? any one know any others like this one???

Comment

You could try this: http://gardenbakeryexpress.com/ . The Hong Kong style deep fried intestine looks interesting.

Comment

Most of the ones in Chinatown will fit the bill. Cafe de Tropika is probably the best bet on the southside. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard it's the go to place nowadays (and very busy).

Comment

If you go to Cafe de Tropika, be prepared to pay 50% more then what's normal in the city. It's also cash/debit only. Food is good and portion is small.

I would recommend you head to Buddy Wonton Seafood. Prices are much more reasonable and service is great.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1349...urant-Edmonton

Taipan is also good

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/9033...-Cafe-Edmonton
          Last edited by bigbear522; 17-03-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Thumbs-up for Taipan Cafe. We all enjoy it, pleasant servers, tasty and reasonable for a family. And last-time our son said "not a hipster in sight", we all laughed.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Wilson View Post
              Thumbs-up for Taipan Cafe. We all enjoy it, pleasant servers, tasty and reasonable for a family. And last-time our son said "not a hipster in sight", we all laughed.
              Don't you hate it when a place is FULL of hipsters?
              Another vote for Taipan.

Comment

Taipan, Garden Bakery & Double Greeting are all great places for the type of food you're looking for. Warning for Double Greeting tho, don't just the food by the exterior or its surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by workworkwork View Post
                  Don't you hate it when a place is FULL of hipsters?
                  Another vote for Taipan.
                  I'm all for diversity; however, sometimes when we bring our kids to a place which has "an attitude of hipsters" often it's not very welcoming. Especially if we're sitting next to the widow or on a patio; that's prime real estate.

Comment

Went to Cafe de Tropika this past weekend. Generally pretty good food and consistent with Hong Kong cafe style. The restaurant was full of chinese people which was encouraging. My shredded duck soup was fairly good, and the bbq meats on rice was excellent. Only complaint is that the portion sizes are quite small for the price paid.

I've tried Double Greeting in the past, 5 times to be exact, the food there is sub par, and not really representative of Hong Kong cafe style. Rather Double Greeting is a somewhat westernized chinese hole in the wall dive diner.

My idea of good Hong Kong cafe style restaurants in Alberta are both in Calgary, namely Calgary Court in Chinatown, and Sun's BBQ on Centre Street. And now I can say, I have one in Edmonton, Cafe de Tropika, which is a good pinch hitter between visiting my faves in Calgary.

I plan to try taipan, garden bakery, and buddy wonton very soon. Although, I my buddy ordered buddy wonton takeout for a large party once, and I can't say that I was all that impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesacer View Post
                      Went to Cafe de Tropika this past weekend. Generally pretty good food and consistent with Hong Kong cafe style. The restaurant was full of chinese people which was encouraging. My shredded duck soup was fairly good, and the bbq meats on rice was excellent. Only complaint is that the portion sizes are quite small for the price paid.

I've tried Double Greeting in the past, 5 times to be exact, the food there is sub par, and not really representative of Hong Kong cafe style. Rather Double Greeting is a somewhat westernized chinese hole in the wall dive diner.
                      On one hand you like Cafe de Tropika as a Hong Kong style cafe but you complain about the portion sizes compared to the price. Yet you call Double Greetings a "westernized chinese hole in the wall dive diner"??

I think a place that serves small portions for overpriced food would be the westernized, whitey Chinese restaurant.

As a regular at Double Greetings for years, the food is consistently good and the portion sizes are great compared to the price. Best bang for you buck for noodle and rice dishes in Edmonton.

Double Greetings is the best!

Comment

Sorry, but double greeting Is a Chinese greasy spoon diner, not a true hong kong style cafe. There is a difference. Sure they might have some items that are available at tropika, but mostly they don't. All you have to do is compare the menus between tropika and double greeting to see the difference., and I'm not just referring to prices.

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                        Originally posted by jamesacer View Post

On one hand you like Cafe de Tropika as a Hong Kong style cafe but you complain about the portion sizes compared to the price. Yet you call Double Greetings a "westernized chinese hole in the wall dive diner"??

I think a place that serves small portions for overpriced food would be the westernized, whitey Chinese restaurant.

As a regular at Double Greetings for years, the food is consistently good and the portion sizes are great compared to the price. Best bang for you buck for noodle and rice dishes in Edmonton.

Double Greetings is the best!

Comment

141007578-001
                          05-Sep-2013
                          13803 - 127 STREET NW
                          Plan 8820046 Blk 39 Lot 2

To construct interior alterations to
                          an existing restaurant, "Golden
                          Bee BBQ HK Cafe".

Comment

Garden bakery sounds like the kind of place you are looking for. Large portions for low prices. I believe they have some sort of hong kong style breakfast special up to 10am. It's open late. Huge menu. Lots of bbq options on rice or noodles. You can grab a bun for dessert from the bakery on your way out.

If you really want a deal on bbq just go get a lunch box from one of the many shops on 97st and 106 Ave. BBQ King City is my favorite. 2 types of bbq on rice $5 for small and $6 for large. BBQ King also gives you some steamed bok choy if they haven't run out, but they are the only one that serves any kind of veg that I have seen. A large box is huge and good for two meals. Super BBQ Delight is also excellent.

Comment

A Hong Kong style cafe is not a typical Chinese restaurant. They generally serve an eclectic assortment of dishes and cuisine (not just Cantonese cuisine). Typical fare would include french toast, spam and eggs, macaroni in soup, borsch, steak, hamburgers, ramen/udon, spaghetti, casseroles, etc... Cafe Tropika (Southside) and Golden Bee Cafe (Northside) are the only two in the city that really fit the bill.

For Chinatown. Taipan is probably the closest to what the OP is looking for.
                              Last edited by bolo; 29-11-2013, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X