Cactus Club - Devonian Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Loved how people were patioing tonight, hells yes.
    "Patioing" as a verb? Takes a certain type of guy to pull that one off...
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by expat View Post
      Originally posted by IanO View Post
      Loved how people were patioing tonight, hells yes.
      "Patioing" as a verb? Takes a certain type of guy to pull that one off...
      One who loves to patio

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Been there twice and positive experiences so far.

First time was on a friday night - Extremely busy and it took us a while to get a seat, which was to be expected. Had the Tuna appetizers and Hunters Chicken, delicious.

Second time was last night - Less busy and able to get a seat at the dining room. Food was excellent again. We had some food packed up, fiance wasen't too hungry and had half of her meal to go. Our server forgot to bring the packed meal back, and we forgot about it until we started driving. We went back for it, but they threw it away already. Without hesistation they quickly cooked a new batch up and was ready within 8 minutes. Thought that was very nice of them to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
          Cactus Club patio has been enclosed in a plastic tarp. Not sure if I approve of that.
          I rented a hot tub for my June birthday party, some 20 years ago. I had to wrap the area around it with tarps as the temperature dropped to only a few degrees/ with light snow. As it turned out, the memories are still engrained deep into my minds eye. Live at little SMD, this could be fun!

Comment

• Originally posted by stinger11 View Post
            Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            Cactus Club patio has been enclosed in a plastic tarp. Not sure if I approve of that.
            I rented a hot tub for my June birthday party, some 20 years ago. I had to wrap the area around it with tarps as the temperature dropped to only a few degrees/ with light snow. As it turned out, the memories are still engrained deep into my minds eye. Live at little SMD, this could be fun!
            Isn't it awesome how their patio is still open?
            This could be our first year-round downtown patio.

Comment

• ^ close to it... Late Jan into feb could be an issue.
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• ^I suspect it should be ok for temps down to about -20... and yes, SO AWESOME! Hopefully others take advantage of this.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• We did not have patio open last night. Temperature is not the only consideration since the space is not sealed for obvious reasons.

Comment

• Was on the patio Thursday evening and asked that the heater be turned down as we were roasting there. Our waitress said they hope to use it in January.

But the food was quite good and service was excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by BalancedOP View Post
                      Was on the patio Thursday evening and asked that the heater be turned down as we were roasting there. Our waitress said they hope to use it in January.

But the food was quite good and service was excellent.
                      I was at the Cactus Club on Burrard on Thursday night and the place was packed and we were the only ones on the enclosed patio during a cold downpour with the heat on at full tilt......I am pretty sure the one at the Devonian will be able to keep it viable through the winter if it is sealed in the right way.....And if the food and service is as good as Van, Jasper Ave will be a corporate highlight for CC.

Comment

• Glowing review from Hicks
                        http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/11/2...get-any-better
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Went there last night. Great service, delicious food, upscale and pretty clientele, and crazy-busy with wall-to-wall ceiling-to-ceiling people. The interiors look really nice, however it is a rather cramped tuna can environment, especially in comparison with their Burrard location in downtown Vancouver or the Chop in Sutton Place. I think I need a better look inside when it's daytime and less busy. I still don't understand why they only keep the patio open on the lounge side - I should ask next time I'm there.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                            Went there last night. Great service, delicious food, upscale and pretty clientele, and crazy-busy with wall-to-wall ceiling-to-ceiling people. The interiors look really nice, however it is a rather cramped tuna can environment, especially in comparison with their Burrard location in downtown Vancouver or the Chop in Sutton Place. I think I need a better look inside when it's daytime and less busy. I still don't understand why they only keep the patio open on the lounge side - I should ask next time I'm there.
                            A waiter told me that the restaurant-side patio is not prepped for winter yet, and that it still needs work. The idea is to have both sides operating all year.

Comment

• Saturday, June 7, 2014:

Comment

• Tuesday, July 29, 2014

As someone noted upthread, the base of the patio walls are actually planters. They've installed misting water dispensers above them, which are running constantly, and planted long grasses , which have grown to provide some cover for the patrons

The patio shutters are handy not only for keeping out the winter elements, but also the rain. The patio was still hopping when we had that torrential downpour during the thunderstorm late last week.

Comment

Working...
                                X