Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the city re-name Oliver neighborhood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the city re-name Oliver neighborhood?

Edmonton anti-racism rally demands city scrub Oliver name
    'It's a fair question to ask because there is real duality to the legacy of Frank Oliver,' says mayor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ille-1.4264015

First, comparing Oliver to Robert E Lee is an absurd comparison. One was a war mongerer who's action and impetus resulted in a civil war with untold casualties in the name of maintaining such things as slavery with Lee having been himself raised on a slave plantation.

Oliver was involved in some land claim negotiations that were, yes, poor agreements for the indigenous people but at a time, and in a nation, and continent where such agreements were not fair agreement.

This is our illustrious Mayors statement;

'People we thought were heroes did things that today just do not stand any real test of morality.'
    - Mayor Don Iveson

The trouble with the statement is that almost every historical figure does not in all ways pass a revisionist test for morality. But indeed such supposition entirely ignores zeitgeist in time and place and that throughout history humans acts largely within the world, mores, values, precedents that they know, and that are understood. Iveson would know the other side that summarily judging past figures is patently unfair to the individuals that lived in those times. AS we have these conversations its important to acknowledge that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Whatever. So long as whatever replacement name that is chosen can be spelled without the use of punctuation marks, diacritics, numbers or other non-standard characters and has a pattern of consonants and vowels that is readily pronounceable by a native English speaker.

Comment

Yes these f'ing precious snowflake lefties want to re-write history. Re-name Oliver Fuddle Duddle Territory because that's where we are going with this PC nonsense.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

No!!! Omg what's happening here. Jesus, if someone isn't effing complaining they aren't happy!
          You can't rewrite history, or erase it, as if it never happened. Apologise and move on.
          This mayor has to go, the cost to erase everything Oliver, for businesses etc would be crazy! Just like Iverson. Damn I'm glad to move from Edmonton, I've never hated a mayor as much as this *****!
          Last edited by H.L.; 27-08-2017, 02:07 PM.
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Don will be dreaming up a new hashtag for this. Got one #leftiesgetalife or #simperingsnowflakes.

Comment

Maybe that leads to name changes. Maybe that leads to interpretation. I don’t think that’s solely up to me. We have to have a lot of engagement with the community. - Mayor Don Iveson
              OMG! So much consideration and care for a reasonable approach! If someone isn't f'ing hating, they aren't happy!

Hypocrisy Lady's love of hate and perverse humour is well documented. Perhaps the thought of defecating and splooging on the mayor, too, would bring laughter to such an induhvidual. You can't rewrite c2e posts. Just acknowledge it and move on. Seriously ... anywhere ... like, connect2eckville ... become a mod ...

(Apologies to the vast majority of Eckville's no doubt fine upstanding citizens. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.)
              Last edited by Spill; 27-08-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                No!!! Omg what's happening here. Jesus, if someone isn't effing complaining they aren't happy!
                You can't rewrite history, or erase it, as if it never happened. Apologise and move on.
                This mayor has to go, the cost to erase everything Oliver, for businesses etc would be crazy! Just like Iverson. Damn I'm glad to move from Edmonton, I've never hated a mayor as much as this *****!
                Nothing wrong with Iveson's response. Bit of an overreaction in your response.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
                  Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                  Nothing wrong with Iveson's response. Bit of an overreaction in your response.
                  I think Iverson is BSC! And my response is exactly how I feel! Get over it!
                  I'd love to tell these snowflakes where to go. Wimps!
                  Last edited by H.L.; 27-08-2017, 04:06 PM.
                  Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    Don will be dreaming up a new hashtag for this. Got one #leftiesgetalife or #simperingsnowflakes.

It suits him. Someone should tell him , nobody is running against him, he should relax, and stop with all this bull****
                    Animals are my passion.

Comment

This message is hidden because Spill is on your ignore list.

Sweet!
                      Animals are my passion.

Comment

I'm not convinced that there's enough reason to change the name. Some people did things that seem bad now but were acceptable at a former time. When looking at the US civil war, the reason the Confederates are labeled as the bad guys is because when those times were changing, they fought to keep slaves. Well, the north had slaves too, but they had the good mind to realize that it wasn't right and wanted to end it. Was Oliver in the wrong by today's standards? Very likely. He didn't fight social progress, though. It just hadn't occurred yet. Educate about his wrongdoings, but I don't see the need to change the name.

However, if it's easy (only a few discreet locations actually use the Oliver name), then go for it if the majority want to and won't be an undue burden on taxpayers.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Do people not have a life that they have to go down to the ledge grounds on a Saturday night on a non pressing issue. Are their lives so devoid of any other things that they have to suddenly drop everything to complain about the name of the area they live in. Does it just have to take one or two disgruntled flakes to bleat about someone who did what he did in the times he lived. I hope the clowns down at city hall don't decide to do a 'study' on this and decide Oliver (I can still say the name or will I be struck down by lightening) need a new name. Then it will be all hands on deck thinking of an 'iconic' or 'trendy' or 'on the map' name. How about, whatawasteoftime.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                            I'm not convinced that there's enough reason to change the name. Some people did things that seem bad now but were acceptable at a former time. When looking at the US civil war, the reason the Confederates are labeled as the bad guys is because when those times were changing, they fought to keep slaves. Well, the north had slaves too, but they had the good mind to realize that it wasn't right and wanted to end it. Was Oliver in the wrong by today's standards? Very likely. He didn't fight social progress, though. It just hadn't occurred yet. Educate about his wrongdoings, but I don't see the need to change the name.

However, if it's easy (only a few discreet locations actually use the Oliver name), then go for it if the majority want to and won't be an undue burden on taxpayers.
                            I don't know man. I mean it's a pretty solid idea, but the problem is where do we draw the line? Today it's a neighborhood, tomorrow it's all school's, bridges, and buildings. (This is what's happening in Ontario at the moment: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ools-1.4261575
                            The problem is that this may encourage more movements to come forward to scrub anything that may be offensive or slightly immoral, until there's nothing left.

Comment

There are areas in this city that are blessed with names that carry terrible backgrounds. For instance, there is a park by the U of A named after Emily Murphy, who championed thee sterilization of the mentally ill, and anyone else that had characteristics deemed defects. This is park is named after someone just as bad, if not worse then Oliver. Why is it that a blind eye is being turned to this park? Does it have to do with who suffered from the outcomes of the immortalized person?

Comment

Working...
                              X