No announcement yet.

Child friendly Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids love fancy sidewalks and overdone light standards!

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
      Kids love fancy sidewalks and overdone light standards!
      They do like smooth sidewalks and the light standards are for the grown-ups as we're the ones who have to pay an extra levy on our taxes to get them.. at least in the neighbourhoods.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
        Kids love fancy sidewalks and overdone light standards!
        All the pre-schoolers are waiting with bated breath for the latest Jasper Avenue makeover!

Comment

• Interesting study showing that even young families prefer single detached houses in the suburbs to downtown apartments by an overwhelming margin, and those who do live in apartments primarily do so for financial reasons, not due to the desire to live an "urban" lifestyle

Younger Canadians Not Interested In Raising Families In Condos: Study

A picket fence and a backyard are still the gold standard, even for millennials.

Canada's young families are giving up on the dream of owning a single-family home, but it's not out of a desire to live an urban high-rise life — the cost has simply become too prohibitive.

That's the key takeaway from a new study carried out by Sotheby's International Realty Canada, which found that, if money were no object, 83 per cent of young families would buy a detached home as opposed to any other type of housing. Only 5 per cent prefer condos.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/1...ef=ca-homepage
          Last edited by 240GLT; 01-11-2018, 11:09 AM.
          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

• ^ that link is broken for me, gives a 404, I think because it's truncated in the middle
            I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Other similar studies have noted that responses change somewhat when the questions ask about trade-offs including commutes and neighbourhood amenities. I'm not really a fan of apartment living but I've never been more jealous of a home than friends' townhouse just a couple blocks from Queen & Spadina.
              There can only be one.

Comment

• Sorry about that... fixed
                Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

• A look at the new Downtown Calgary Library - can't wait to visit. http://mikesbloggityblog.com/10-wtf-...s-new-library/

I was particularly struck by #4 on the list - the kids library has a jungle gym/indoor playground because, you know, winter is long and indoor play spaces downtown are VERY important. Stanley Milner with a big miss in this regard.

Comment

• Is this surprising to anyone?

Even a devout urbanite like myself understands the appeal for single-family housing, that said, we have a lot of other options and more coming. The key is to ensure that we have the infrastructure in our most urban communities including daycares, schools, parks, playgrounds, indoor spaces, services along with more housing options such as townhouses, semis, duplex etc.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• "Child Friendly City Proposes Closing Neighbourhood Pools/Ice Rinks" - CoE are writing their own The Onion headlines now. Staggeringly janus-faced: Elise Stolte

Whose gonna be first among the bucket brigade?

Comment

• Construction of our new Downtown playground begins on Monday!

Comment

• ^woot!
                          www.decl.org

Comment

• Very close now.

@ianoyeg

Comment

• https://twitter.com/EPSB_McKay/statu...80876015214592
                              @EPSB_McKay

Comment

• ...nearly there...

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1135360306337570816
                                @ianoyeg

Comment

Working...
                                X