X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child friendly Edmonton

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...=childfriendly

The City of Edmonton has a clear vision: to create a vibrant, connected, safe, sustainable and welcoming city.

A child-friendly city welcomes and involves children and youth and promotes their well-being and safety. It fosters the rights of young people as contributing members of society who have a sense of ownership and a voice in their community.

Child Friendly Edmonton, in a spirit of cooperation and collaboration, works with citizens, community groups and orders of government to create the best possible results for children and their families.

The Child Friendly Edmonton Initiative is based on the International UNICEF Child Friendly Cities Initiative. It promotes the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child at the level where it has the greatest direct impact on children’s lives: in the cities where they live.

The Way We Live: Edmonton's People Plan 10 year strategic plan redefines local government as a caring entity that creates a diverse and inclusive city by connecting people, creating communities where people can age in place and actively nurturing an arts, culture and athletic community.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I wonder how many tax dollars were spent on this initiative in terms of outside consultants and city staff when even the basics the city has difficulty in doing
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

The Problem with Kid-free Condos
      https://thewalrus.ca/the-problem-with-kid-free-condos
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Food for thought.

SO many kids Downtown today.

Comment

https://thewalrus.ca/the-problem-with-kid-free-condos/
          I know developers and builders want to make a profit but there are some things that should not be included/excluded in the profit margins.
          Personally I would hate not having kids around my neighborhood. It's just a breath of fresh air watching them cavorting all over the place, watching them be real serious when they are playing street hockey. Starts of with one putting out the net and before you know it there's 10 of them. If there hollering to loud I close the window, if the ball comes in my yard they have permission to get it back. Remember, kids are not the enemy.
          Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

I'm fine not seeing kids, I raised mine, look after grandchildren, I don't want them in my condo building.
            Animals are my passion.

Comment

I always think of buildings that are for adults only (especially senior buildings) are Gawds waiting rooms. Most of them are devoid of sound or any personality. Told hubby he might as well shoot me if I had to go into an seniors or adult only building. I would hate all my neighbors to be elderly. Mixed bag of ages just suites me fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                I always think of buildings that are for adults only (especially senior buildings) are Gawds waiting rooms. Most of them are devoid of sound or any personality. Told hubby he might as well shoot me if I had to go into an seniors or adult only building. I would hate all my neighbors to be elderly. Mixed bag of ages just suites me fine.
                Ours is lots of fun. We have grandchildren that visit, but on the whole, it's nothing like you envision. I'm willing to go to court to have my say about our condo building, we have rights as well.
                Animals are my passion.

Comment

^ I don't think you have anything to worry about if your condo is all privately owned units. It's the rental high rise buildings that only rent to adults that are under fire.

Comment

I hope so, I'm sure we will be next.jmho though...
                    Animals are my passion.

Comment

^^it likely would apply to rental AND condo as it would usurp individual strata bylaws.

My guess is that we will see them exempt 55+

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                        ^^it likely would apply to rental AND condo as it would usurp individual strata bylaws.

My guess is that we will see them exempt 55+
                        Were in 18+. Great news...��
                        Animals are my passion.

Comment

Nothing is confirmed, so who really knows, but my hope/guess is that we will see them remove 18+ but allow 55+.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                            Nothing is confirmed, so who really knows, but my hope/guess is that we will see them remove 18+ but allow 55+.

I like it where I am, its the right mix, I don't want( along with others) kids in our building! How bloody unfair we get no choice.!
                            Concrete jungles, perfect for kids.(.eye roll.)

I hope all those eating places you love allow screaming babies!
                            Animals are my passion.

Comment

So we don't want to align with best practices across Canada and be more inclusive? The reality is that you will not be flooded with screaming babies and families in your building, perhaps a couple, but it will allow people to REMAIN in their homes, neighbourhoods, communities if and when they decided to have kids.

Concrete jungles hardly. Urban centres across the world have many children living there just fine thank you very much... time for us to evolve, adapt and become aware of this fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X