Safe Injection Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary to announce one site

Calgary will put theirs in the Sheldon Chumir Center, which is a small, quasi hospital, which services downtown residents. The neighborhood, while it has some poverty (downtown/belt line homeless), also has a number of high end condos - probably closer to Oliver, than Boyle in nature (Boyle equivalent would be forest law / 17 Ave SE, which is some distance from where the injection site will go).

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/officials-...gary-1.3458440

Calgary, unlike Edmonton and Vancouver, has a long standing tradition of spreading social services around the city, they recently put social housing into (albeit controversially) a neighborhood where property values for single family homes are often over 1m (Crescent Heights) and they are taking that approach with other social housing projects. I think Edmonton would benefit from starting to do the same / give the Boyle community a bit of a break, even if it means standing up to NIMBY's in wealthy neighborhoods. An equivalent to that Crescent Heights social housing would be if City of Edmonton put some social housing where the old RAM is (I think Edmonton should, could repurpose some of that RAM stone for façade and make something a lot nicer than the one below I think).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ghts-1.4120708

Last edited by moahunter; 14-06-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• This topic will shortly be quite relevant, once the "review" comes out and Kenney starts trying to shutter the sites, restrict hours, kill them with regulation etc. And this is a relevant, recent story about how blinded by ideology Kenney is on this topic: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ites-1.5442142

But why didn't the heart kick in with the Stephen Harper government? I'm just going to go back to that. We're talking about 11 years. How many lives were lost during that more than a decade of a government that refused to look at the evidence that you're describing?

I was essentially someone who raised up going to church. But politics was really my god. It was power. And people get in power, and they keep power. And when you join a political party, you sign on for the whole smorgasbord.

I had never given any thought to drug policy. It was dogma. It was drugs cause crime and destruction. That was the Conservative mantra. And therefore we need to make them illegal. And anything that could possibly facilitate them needs to be quashed.

That's the mindless thinking that goes into that form of policy, and it is costing lives.

Comment

• Kenney's reaction to safe injection sites reminds me of Reagan's response to the AIDS crisis. Keep it out of sight. Don't talk about it. Say that they brought it on themselves.

Comment

• Worst of all, opioids will be driven underground.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• It won’t be underground, it will be in our parks and streets and alleys. The problem is huge and we have developed harm reductions strategies to deal with the problem over the last couple of decades. Limiting funding used to fund harm reduction programs is going to take people from drop in centres and safe injection sites where people with addictions have been given the tools to keep themselves alive and relatively safe and return them to the streets without proper supplies or resources to prevent disease, overdose and death. The costs of this are going to be huge in the long run and much higher than mitigating the risks from the start.

Comment

• as i’ve said before, we will have “injection sites” either way. The only question is whether they - and the neighborhood they are in - will be safe or not.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Working...
              X