Alberta Avenue- Housing "Road Map"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alberta Avenue- Housing "Road Map"

the Alberta Avenue Community League is hosting a meeting with residents and city staff in hopes of creating a "housing roadmap" that will help guide various types of development in inner city neighborhoods. This should be an interesting meeting for anyone interested in infill, non-market housing issues, densification and different housing types.

Meeting this Wednesday at the AACL hall, 6:30pm

http://www.albertaave.org/news/housing-meeting
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

^The link says Thursday, Sept 25, as did the mail notice we got last week.

Comment

Oops, my mistake. It is on Thursday the 25th

Comment

Great meeting last night.. very well attended Lots of good ideas.

Comment

My favorite suggestion of the night was for the city to assist mature areas to launch an advertising campaign similar to how developers market the new areas.

Comment

That was a good idea. We'd thought about something like that for Parkdale earlier this year... maybe some posters on the advertizing boards at the Stadium LRT station or along the commuter routes through the neighborhood with something a little cheeky like "If you lived here you'd be home by now" or something to that effect

Comment

Why do the mature neighbourhoods need the city to help them advertise? Aren't all the houses that need to get sold getting sold?

Comment

^ I think it's fair to say the neighbourhood is undervalued by the market, and definitely not enough thought goes into commuting time/stress.
                Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by SP59 View Post
                  Why do the mature neighbourhoods need the city to help them advertise? Aren't all the houses that need to get sold getting sold?
                  Unjustified stigma and fear are the largest issues with these areas. Generally, when you get people to get out of the car and walk around (even at 1 am), many start to become very fond of the areas.

I introduced three friends to the inner city this year - two were going to buy condos in the 'burbs, the other relocated from the 'burbs. All three purchased single detached homes (one in Alberta Avenue, one in Delton, and the last in Parkdale).

These areas have issues, but what area doesn't? Can either be happy here or pay $150K+ more for areas like Tamarack (train, recent murder, recent pedophile) or Terwillegar Towne (multiple attacks on young women earlier this year).

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                    That was a good idea. We'd thought about something like that for Parkdale earlier this year... maybe some posters on the advertizing boards at the Stadium LRT station or along the commuter routes through the neighborhood with something a little cheeky like "If you lived here you'd be home by now" or something to that effect
                    U of A did a cheeky advertisement like that last year if I remember. It showed students in a bed on the LRT.

I like the idea of choosing something along the lines of actually enjoying mature trees in this lifetime.

Comment

I agree with your points about the positives about those neighbourhoods. It just seems to me that everything that goes up for sale gets sold.

Comment

Alberta ave is gaining great momentum, a wonderful location with close proximity to everything and great walkibility. I've never understood why people like commuting exorbitant amours of time going to work when there are great alternatives with bigger lots,and bigger trees

The city should not spend money on advertising

Comment

^ It doesn't necessarily mean traditional advertizing. There's lots the city can do to raise awareness and dispel myths about the area that goes beyond a simple marketing campaign

Comment

I agree, I was under the impression some would be okay spending money on billboards. Best thing the city did do was put in new sidewalks/ lights, curbs and blacktop. This is a great way for the city to advertise

Comment

^ Well, in our case, when we'd talked about the direct marketing of Parkdale the money to advertize would have probably come from the community league, not the city. And lots of community leagues do advertize, in a sort of round-a-bout way.

The light standards and sidewalks are very nice, but there's got to be something more that can be done to leverage those enhancements and get more people interested in the area.

Comment

Working...
                              X