No announcement yet.

Increased density is not good for long term sustainability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rochelle has a large Hasidim/Orthodox Jewish community & they're generally not known for being mindful of any rules not proscribed in their religious texts.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• new rochelle’s covid-19 statistics have little to do with religion. in fact new rochelle's total jewish population - including hasidic and orthodox communities - is barely 13,000 people.

in regard to the extend of new rochelle's covid-19 cases:

“..., one of those individuals in New York — a man in New Rochelle just north of the city — happened to be what is called a superspreader; for whatever reason, whether immunological, social or biological, a superspreader can infect many more people than expected for a particular pathogen. In fact, the virus was passed from this New Rochelle man to more than 100 others, said George Rutherford, professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).”

https://www.livescience.com/why-covi...-new-york.html

in addition to hosting a super-spreader, new york imposed social distancing restrictions two weeks later in the curve than California which makes a big difference when you are the community that suffered the first covid-19 deaths in new york regardless of your religion.

when you compound that with the fact new rochelle was one of, if not the, first communities in new york to report covid-19 cases and covid-19 deaths and the fact that new Rochelle as a result has probably tested disproportionately more of it's residents than other new york city, it's no wonder the statistics were initially skewed (although less so every week that goes by).
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• While he's apparently not Orthodox, religion certainly has something to do with it, however tangentially:

Many of the cases have ties to the Young Israel of New Rochelle synagogue where Garbuz attended a function, unknowingly and unintentionally exposing dozens of people to coronavirus.
        https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...amily/2320900/

His wife is looking forward to afterwards when we can all look back on this & laugh how her husband inadvertently is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans.

"I look forward to being able to laugh about the time we were all 'coronaed' (a verb I just made up) with all of you but in particular with my husband," she wrote.
        I wish no ill will on the guy who inadvertently spread the disease, but I hope every orifice his wife has prolapses simultaneously for such a callous remark.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Senior residences are the hardest hit of any city in any country.

Their high density housing with no locked door, poor hygiene, lack of separation, pre-existing conditions and poor overall health contribute to a perfect storm of cases and death, often accounting for half the deaths in a region.

Eons suggest that seniors be located on 3.6 acre pieces of land in far flung locations, away from people for their own safety and a sustainable world. (sarcasm noted)
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• ^^

what an interesting choice of quote and editorializing of what was really said:

from your link:

“...the lady in question “urged the public to“ stay rational and calm” as the virus continues to spread, and not to vilify their family.”

“"I hope the Garbuz name becomes associated not as the ones with coronavirus but the ones who were instrumental in helping get this contained," Adina Lewis Garbuz wrote on Facebook Tuesday afternoon. “I have not wanted to speak out as I have no urge to be in the limelight and I am sure my husband would be most horrified knowing he was, but I am willing to if it in any way can be helpful to others, to allay fears and restore feelings of calm."

“Lewis Garbuz stressed in the social media post that her husband went to the doctor multiple times, and that doctors were unable to figure it out for days as well given that he had no risk factors that would lead them to believe he was at risk.

“"It is easy to be fearful and scared and believe me, my family has been seen plenty of irrational bad behaviors based on it ," she said, referencing a laundromat that refused to serve her children despite them being out of the country and cleared by the Centers for Disease Control, or a nurse who "hugged the walls" as they walked by. But Lewis Garbuz implored that people not let emotion and fear control their behavior, writing that "We are in very unchartered (sic) waters with this virus and unknowns are scary but we also know quarantines and testing are helping. Let facts override bad thoughts."”

and then there’s the quote you chose to shorten:

"I look forward to being able to laugh about the time we were all 'coronaed' (a verb I just made up) with all of you but in particular with my husband," she wrote. "Just maybe he won’t be just the one with bad luck, but the one who can to bring this to an end. This will end. Quarantines will work and we will all be stronger for it," she wrote.

and from that you editorialized that she was "looking forward to afterwards when we can all look back on this & laugh how her husband inadvertently is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans”. SHE SAID NO SUCH THING. SHE IS GUILTY OF NOTHING MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE IS GUILTY OF WHO HAS TRIED TO USE HUMOR ABOUT SOCIAL DISTANCING OR SELF ISOLATION OR QUARANTINE AFFECTIVE EVERYTHING FROM OUR DIETS TO OUR HAIRCUTS IN AN ATTEMPT TO DEAL WITH LIFE AT THE MOMENT.

and then you went on to state that you hoped “that every orifice his wife has prolapses simultaneously for such a callous remark.” really???

the only real callousness i can infer here is yours. one might think that either you’re spending too much time on the wastewater side of your employer’s business operations or you’re don’t recognize real bigotry even when you write it.
            Last edited by kcantor; 20-04-2020, 04:24 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• I stand by my words.

All this shutdown time on your hands sure gives you time to grind your axe.

Comment

• Well the 'density is bad argument' on the basis of the spread of pandemics is just unsupported by the facts.

South Korea has a far greater density and has half of the population living in one city

Here are the facts plus cases and deaths of Covid-19. South Korea was hit by the epidemic at the same time as Canada and the US
                20-Apr-20 Population Density Confirmed Deaths Death Rate Deaths/Million
                Canada 37,411,047 3.92/km2 36,831 1,690 4.6% 45.2
                Alberta 4,413,146 6.35/km2 2,908 59 2.0% 13.4
                Edmonton 1,062,643 1,855/km2
                South Korea 51,709,098 507/km2 10,683 237 2.2% 4.6
                Seoul Metro 25,674,800
                Seoul 9,733,509 16,000/km2
                South Korea has 130 times the density of Canada and 1/10th the deaths per million

Density is NOT the problem, inaction is.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
                  I stand by my words.

All this shutdown time on your hands sure gives you time to grind your axe.
                  my axe???

it wasn’t me who led with “New Rochelle has a large Hasidim/Orthodox Jewish community & they're generally not known for being mindful of any rules not proscribed in their religious texts.”

it wasn’t me who walked back to “While he's apparently not Orthodox, religion certainly has something to do with it” hiding behind “however tangentially”..

it wasn’t me who editorialized a single partial comment in his wife‘s statement into something completely different and then attributing it to her.

it wasn’t me who summed up my position with “I hope every orifice his wife has prolapses simultaneously for such a callous remark” when it wasn’t her remark it was yours.

you want to stand by your words? go ahead, confirm you’re bigot.

my axe??? my ***.
                  Last edited by kcantor; 21-04-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                    my axe???
                    Yep.

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                    “New Rochelle has a large Hasidim/Orthodox Jewish community & they're generally not known for being mindful of any rules not proscribed in their religious texts.”
                    This is all factual. New Rochelle does have a large Hasidim community & was previously one of the hotspots for herpes epidemics caused by unclean rabbis putting their lips onto mutilated babies, all because of a magic book.

“While he's apparently not Orthodox, religion certainly has something to do with it, however tangentially..
                    Also factual. He spread it through religious services.

it wasn’t me who editorialized a single partial comment in his wife‘s statement into something completely different and then attributing it to her.
                    I took it out of context, sure. Editorialized, no.You're the one editorializing MY comments, you hypocrite.

“I hope every orifice his wife has prolapses simultaneously for such a callous remark”
                    Hyperbole. It's a thing, you know.

my axe??? my ***.
                    Yeah. It's pretty clear you've got some rage boner for me,

Comment

• ^

you do know that when i invited you to “go ahead, confirm you’re a bigot” you really didn’t have to.

Comment

• Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                          ^you do know that when i invited you to “go ahead, confirm you’re a bigot” you really didn’t have to.
                          Coming from an inveterate bigot such as yourself I would normally take this assessment as perhaps some cunning insight, since you're so well acquainted with bigotry yourself, but for the aforementioned extremely obvious axe you've been grinding against me ever since I called you out for classist bigotry in a provincial politics thread. This is the same classist bigotry you've dropped a handful of times trying to besmirch me for what I do when I am working where I do (despite your information being incomplete & your intuition flawed).

Comment

• ^

that’s really rich.

noodle playing the victim card.

if you really think this has anything at all to do with where you work you really have been immersed too deeply in the wastewater side of the business.

i’m quite prepared to criticize your employer when i think it’s warranted just as i’m quite prepared to criticize the city of edmonton and just about any other public or private entity for that matter when i think it’s warranted.

that doesn’t mean that on balance i’m not an advocate for those entities including the city of edmonton and your employer. i also put my money where my mouth is and purchase my power from your employer both personally and commercially even when there are other potentially cheaper options because i know your employer’s contributions and success are good for our community.

so go ahead, talk about spouting off “despite your information being incomplete & flawed” because it seems you’re as good at that as you are at being a bigot.

Comment

Working...
                            X