Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To make way for student housing, historic Garneau homes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ eye roll....

then we can all hold hands and sing campfire songs and end world strife.

Sarcasm aside and I don't mean to be insulting. I am Mr 'Idealist" but no we do not all play a roll in preserving history. I do not expect ANY organization to compromise their economic viability or global competitiveness in order to save half a dozen old houses. Its unrealistic.

Things die because death is change and change... is unstoppable.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

It's maybe 2 wooden homes, and one brick one. Walked by them again today, and they are indeed in a sad state. The property is owned by the UofA, they are giving them away, so the offer to preserve history is on the table for all.
      Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Regretting the removal of old-time commercial strips for bland phallic symbols is one thing.

Waxing sentimental over run-down single-family homes in which no family has lived for decades is quite another.

The mid-density residences the U's been putting in North Garneau are the epitome of what core urban residential areas should look like.

Let them rip!!

Comment

And good on the U of A for offering them for free for preservation, reuse and supplying the names of people who are capable of best doing this.
          "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
            And good on the U of A for offering them for free for preservation, reuse and supplying the names of people who are capable of best doing this.
            As opposed to having to pay to have them demolished and having the remaining crap hauled away?...Yeah, very altruistic.
            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

They are going. either by truck or wrecking ball...

really expat.. you used to be much more effective before you started posting sarcastic little one shots on every thread. Less is more bud!

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                They are going. either by truck or wrecking ball...

really expat.. you used to be much more effectivebefore you started posting sarcastic little one shots on every thread. Less is more bud!

Oh the irony!
                "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

^ I never post just once ;0)

Comment

Those houses don't look like anything special, just old.

Comment

More info

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=34903

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I was harping about those houses previously but I changed my mind. They look pretty crappy, better nuke em out
                        Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Garneau houses aren't being moved... demo time

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...614/story.html

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

They are being demolished because no one wanted them. And that is entirely as it should be.
                            Last edited by AShetsen; 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X