Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you fit a new school in downtown Vancouver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look at Grant MacEwan and their pool and fitness centre. Is that wasted space?

Here is another example

Construction started in late April on the bright new St. James campus roof top fitness centre to be completed for the start of classes in September.
    The 2,500 square foot fitness centre, extending the sixth floor of the main campus building at 200 King. St. E., is 150 per cent larger than the current facility. It will be bright with natural light through almost floor to ceiling windows and have new features such as a towel service and new aerobic exercise equipment, says Melinda Scott, Director of Student Experience.
    The L-shaped centre will accommodate twice as many students as the current facility – up to 500 students a day – and be a better match with student expectations, says Scott.
    The new fitness centre is another step by the college to address student expectations for quality experiences outside the classroom. Karen Thomson, Vice President - Marketing & Strategic enrolment Management, says other projects are coming that will continue this theme, such as a Casa Loma athletics renovation, and interior design improvements.
    The current campus fitness centre, which will be transformed this fall into a fitness studio for classes, will remain open during construction this summer, as will the changing rooms and gym. The gym will occasionally be closed temporarily for short periods this summer as it, and connecting hallways, are a route for transportation of construction materials. A hoarding will be constructed on the sidewalks of George, Frederick and Adelaide Streets to protect pedestrians, however building access will not be affected.
    I think the 2,500 ft2 is a typo, I heard elsewhere that it is 2,500m2
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Not to mention that you can always put the outdoor gym on the top

(http://meetingsnet.com/site-files/me...ggingtrack.gif)

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^ I used to hate gym / sports so much that the rooftop could have been a temptation.

Eve
        (just generally spastic, no depth perception and looked awful in gym gear)

Comment

Working...
        X