• Show
Clear All

• City plans seniors homes for surplus schools sites

City plans seniors homes for surplus schools sites
    Community groups call foul, want a say on how parks are developed
    BY ELISE STOLTE, EDMONTON JOURNAL AUGUST 19, 2012

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...838/story.html

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Not only seniors housing, but also a primary usage of the First Home program.

Comment

I fullt agree that these communities should have a say on how these sites are developed... I also agree that we need more seniors housing.. and not all in Oliver....

The addition of these houses should also benefit the communities such as rec facilities, urban gardens and such.

Further to that these seniors facilities need to be built with multi use in mind. Sure we are going to have a 2305 increase in the number of seniors, but that is for one generation... after that we have a small generation with another population spike following , but no where near the size of the boomers.

In sort...
      Involve the community.. make it win win..plan not just for the future of this generation but 5 generations out.
      Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 20-08-2012, 11:03 AM.
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Senior centers is a good idea. So would daycares. So would newcomers/immigrant centers. So would employment centers. Maybe even Libraries. Point is if school is no longer needed, something needs to be filled so they can continue to be community hubs.
        youtube.com/BrothersGrim
        facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Are the propoals geared to re-using the school itself or just the land that the school is sitting on (some of these plots are very large).

Eve

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
            Senior centers is a good idea. So would daycares. So would newcomers/immigrant centers. So would employment centers. Maybe even Libraries. Point is if school is no longer needed, something needs to be filled so they can continue to be community hubs.
            And a great park can't be a community hub?

Just a question.
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

In the case of Haddow and Henderson parks (the SW communities I can directly relate to), the Haddow development is slated for development for 20-unit condominium for the First Place program. This will be using the entire plot that was originally slated for school.

In Henderson, the entire plot of land will be used for senior's housing.

Here's a Facebook Link (not sure if it's public or not) that details a community walk that's being planned for the weekend of September 8 to raise awareness:

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                And a great park can't be a community hub?

Just a question.
                Im sure it could, but in my experince, it isnt.

Beverly is full of small little community parks. I think what I listed above would add a lot more to our community then a greenspace. I would have no problem them developing Jubilee or Beverly park with a space I suggested. I was baffled when they tore the old Beverly school down and left just a park. Its a nice park, I love it. But their is room for more
                youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

^ I am just saying that Parkland could be a perfectly fine use for the surplus school sites...

I think the community should decide on that, or be allowed more input.

The mass housing of seniors in lodges that have HORRID track records is.... bordering on a human rights issue.

Comment

It's the final nail in the coffin of the traditional neighbourhood. All this immigration to the city and we can't find ways to bring back the kids/families to older neighbourhoods with pre-existing school infrastructure already in place?

Comment

'traditional neighbourhood' - define please

We are slowly, but not enough for most want new and new, not older and reno.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

A concern that we have is that as part of the plan to facilitate seniors housing, the city is looking to make medical services a permitted use under RA-7 zoning. The EFCL is pressing the city to make that a discretionary use. We are concerned that there may be a lot of unintended consequences to this change, especailly in central neighborhoods that have a lot of RA-7 land
                        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^ I live across from a medical services building (Allen Clinic)... its awesome.

I am not sure what you are concerned about.

Comment

^ Would you think it was awesome if you lived across the street from a drug rehab or a methodone clinic ? Would you at least like some input if something like that was proposed across from you ?
                            Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                              A concern that we have is that as part of the plan to facilitate seniors housing, the city is looking to make medical services a permitted use under RA-7 zoning. The EFCL is pressing the city to make that a discretionary use. We are concerned that there may be a lot of unintended consequences to this change, especailly in central neighborhoods that have a lot of RA-7 land
                              Specifically rehab/drug-related facilities?
                              I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Working...
                              X