No announcement yet.

French Quarter Revitalization on Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big missed opportunity imo to not have one or two retail bays in Le Quartier condo building going up. Could have started to build more towards a nice walkalble area/community with the small amount of commercial already to the north of this.

Comment

I was thinking about that myself when I saw the design.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Concur... even 1 of the corners.

I'd love to see the whyte ave corner that is empty across from 711 done into a mid-rise of 10-12 storeys with some retail on main.

Also, redevelop the odd Bulgogi house stripmall into mixed use.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
          Concur... even 1 of the corners.

I'd love to see the whyte ave corner that is empty across from 711 done into a mid-rise of 10-12 storeys with some retail on main.

Also, redevelop the odd Bulgogi house stripmall into mixed use.
          3 out of the 4 corners at 82 ave/91 st could be redone, including the one housing the 7/11. A lot of potential in that area.

Comment

I think the biggest challenge is to convince the land owners to stop just sitting on the land and actually be willing to do something with it. I had originally inquired a couple years ago about the building that now houses Snap and I was told that the owner of that building is located in Seattle or some far place like that. From the sounds of it too, there wasn't much interest in doing anything but leasing the building. Any upgrades would be my own alone. Whoever owns those empty lots have to finally step up to the plate.

Comment

So apparently there will be a mixed use building with retail at street level possibly replacing about 3 houses in the French Quarter. I haven't heard all the details yet but it is a project in the works.

Comment

Any word on the Quartier Condo's?

Comment

According to their website 18 out of 36 units are sold and 1 pending. Unfortunately I've been to by a pretty reliable source that they aren't interested in ground level commercial units, which I personally think is very unfortunate.

Comment

It's been tendered in the past couple weeks. It's moving along.

Comment

There are a couple nice infill condo projects in the area moving toward. Same folks as the Arbor development in Strathcona I think.

Comment

So a couple buildings in the French Quarter are looking at a façade change/improvement. Haven't got details who they are just yet but I heard that one is looking for a bit more of a European/French feel to the façade.

Comment

On the residential side of things I came across this project that was posted up today elsewhere here in C2E.

Cascade Condos

Comment

^ Looks like someone already created a thread for it earlier this morning, so I'll just post the link for reference purposes
                            http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=37303
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Sure no problem. I mainly thought to also post it here as it is within the French Quarter. =)

Comment

Finally some action on the Quartier Condo's site - someone was digging a hole today. Two new signs were on the fence, one an engineering sign and the other a sales marketing biz.

Comment

Working...
                                X