• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Quarter Revitalization on Deck

French Quarter revitalization on deck

BY ELISE STOLTE, EDMONTON JOURNAL JUNE 17, 2012 8:35 AM

Care for an aperitif on the promenade?

Edmonton's French Quarter has plans to become the next trendy, walkable shopping and restaurant district. Business owners submitted an application for a business revitalization zone Thursday, buoyed by an increase in nearby residential construction.

The neighbourhoods of Bonnie Doon, King Edward Park and Ritchie had some of the highest numbers of renovation and building permits last year in mature neighbourhoods.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...497/story.html
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I think, with the LRT planned for Bonnie Doon/Strathearn and SE Edmonton, that this area will be booming if it gets built. It would be nice to see a better connection with Mill Creek.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Such massive potential in the area. Love many elements of it right now.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing the little business district on Whyte ave turned into a hub for the French Quarter and have the road heading north towards the Faculte Saint Jean and the Cite Francophone as part of this business area. There is lots and lots of potential for this sector. The only building I'd like to see go and replaced with something better is the one that houses value village.
        LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
          The only building I'd like to see go and replaced with something better is the one that houses value village.
          Heh. When I started reading that sentence, I thought to myself "I bet the building he's talking about is the Value Village".

Comment

This could be a seriously funky area: Whyte and Rue Marie Gaboury.

Well,that and Bul-Gogi (sweet)

Yes, tons, did I say TONS of opportunity here.

Caveat Emptor: Every time I hear Whyte, I think, ya, dondoit. That was them, be you.

Rue Marie Gaboury, East Whyte have a good story of their own. Do it!
            ... gobsmacked

Comment

Whyte ave from Bonnie Doon to 99st needs some love. Great strips of residential and pockets of commercial that make these neighborhoods so desirable. With LRT eventually passing by Bonnie Doon (and won't it also one day pass right by on White as part of the inner loop connecting to the SELRT heading north towards DT?), this entire area would make for great reno and infill projects. Lots of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                Such massive potential in the area. Love many elements of it right now.
                Its sad "some" of that potential has been destroyed by school closures (esp. Strathearn). When buying in a mature neighborhood, I always choose one with an elementary school, rather than one without.

I like quite like Ritchie, lots of good infill, triplexs and similar has gone in there.

Comment

That area is french? Outside of Faculte St. Jean it's impossible to tell. Last I checked it was suburban style residential with a mall and stripmalls. Where's this french character? 82ave is totally destroyed by the parking lanes and some rather dismal apartments. The whole thing would need to be dug up and done from scratch if it wanted to even have a hint of traditional European french style.
                  "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                    That area is french? Outside of Faculte St. Jean it's impossible to tell. Last I checked it was suburban style residential with a mall and stripmalls. Where's this french character? 82ave is totally destroyed by the parking lanes and some rather dismal apartments. The whole thing would need to be dug up and done from scratch if it wanted to even have a hint of traditional European french style.
                    not french.. franco-albertan

Comment

^exactly and we can build off of that and create a unique 'quarter'.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by jdk13 View Post
                        Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                        not french.. franco-albertan
                        Yes, I'm thinking that the phrase "French Quarter" might be a little misleading. To me, it conjures up images of New Orleans or somewhere like that.

Having said that, I really like the idea of revitalization. But I agree that it would be a real debacle if it went the "Old Strathcona" route, since I'm not a fan of Whyte Avenue west of 103rd. Hopefully, Mill Creek will serve as a sturdy buffer between the two cultures.
                        Last edited by overoceans; 18-06-2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I am equally enamoured with the idea of a "franco-Albertan" quarter in the area. However, when I read things like "re-development" and rip up the streets, and people saying the area needs to be "revitalized" I always reccomend taking a step back and looking closely at what is there now and how residents use it presently.

The Value Village is almost always busy. I use it regularly. The pub across the street needs love, undoubtedly, but it is cleaner than it was and not a horrible place to get a beer. The laundromat, martial arts studio, and Cheese Factory are busy.

Perhaps this area could use a unifying theme, some targetted love, a little imagination. What it really needs are people to get out of their cars and pay attention.

Comment

So have we hit the point where every single street in the city requires redevelopment/revitalization? I'm assuming by coming out and publicly proclaiming such, they're hoping for public investment? Too many damn projects only half completed or worse already...
                            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Beaumont feels infinately more "french" than this particular area

It's nice enough in there. The streets are in bad shape, but that's about the worst of it. There's no difference between that area and any other slowly gentrifying central suburb in town
                              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X