• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a family friendly downtown - article

Good read.

http://thecharrette.ca/2011/03/21/he...ndly-downtown/

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Good article, and mirrors exactly what I've been arguing on C2E for some time now: people just don't want to raise kids in a 2 bedroom apt. My wife and I would love to live downtown, but since I work from home, a 850sq/ft 2bdrm would drive me insane. A 2-story condo with some common space on both levels would provide much needed separation for most people, and allow for "adult" space and "kid" space.

Of course, that's just the home part. As touched on in the article, once the kid is old enough to adventure on their own, there's not much in the way of places for them to go and have fun.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

This idea of families living 'downtown'. We could be using the wrong terminology here. I can see young singles living 'downtown' but families, not so much. What we should encourage is families living on the edges of downtown. When a person thinks of downtown they think of commerce, hustle and bustle, lots of traffic. They don't see places where kids can play or hang out, at least not right downtown. Any increased activity on the edges of a downtown core will translate into a better downtown proper. Change the ads to 'Great family living close to downtown'. Instead of 'Great family living in the downtown core'. People with kids can't get their heads around that. We are not New York.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

"We are not New York."

No, but the principles are the same and not rocket science... plus most are ubiquitous to things we are want:

-green space
        -open space
        -safe and secure spaces
        -variety of housing
        -variety of neighbourhood amenities

Comment

It depends on your perspective of downtown. In the media, downtown is often reported as the CBD and every neighbourhood that surrounds it, from The Quarters, North Edge, McCauley, Oliver... and others...
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

My prespective of Edmonton's downtown is 97th. Street to 9th. Street and 104th Ave. to 99th. Ave (approx) the rest I would consider as 'the edges' of downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
              This idea of families living 'downtown'. We could be using the wrong terminology here. I can see young singles living 'downtown' but families, not so much. What we should encourage is families living on the edges of downtown. When a person thinks of downtown they think of commerce, hustle and bustle, lots of traffic. They don't see places where kids can play or hang out, at least not right downtown. Any increased activity on the edges of a downtown core will translate into a better downtown proper. Change the ads to 'Great family living close to downtown'. Instead of 'Great family living in the downtown core'. People with kids can't get their heads around that. We are not New York.
              Yeah, downtown should be reserved for pinstripe suit workaholics and homeless people. Outsiders are allowed in after dark to drink the beverages.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^We are talking about families living downtown. Not your average office/construction/blue collar/homeless with money/ Joe/Jane having a beer after work or on the weekends. The way our downtown is at the moment it's not configured to accommodate kids say between the ages of 8-17. Let's face it, a land developer downtown would not build a playground on prime downtown land. Where is the profit in that for him/her. Now, building for families on the edges of downtown stands a far greater chance of being successful than catering to families right downtown. Of course, this all depends on your perspective of what the core of downtown is.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                  Yeah, downtown should be reserved for pinstripe suit workaholics and homeless people. Outsiders are allowed in after dark to drink the beverages.
                  There needs to be balance though. If parents want to bring kids downtown to live, that's fine by me. But, I don't want them then complaining that the bars shouldn't stay open, or that there is too much night life, or that there is too much noise from the party in the condo/appartment next door, or that .... I don't want downtown sanitized to the point where adults can't have an adult playground.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    ^We are talking about families living downtown. Not your average office/construction/blue collar/homeless with money/ Joe/Jane having a beer after work or on the weekends. The way our downtown is at the moment it's not configured to accommodate kids say between the ages of 8-17. Let's face it, a land developer downtown would not build a playground on prime downtown land. Where is the profit in that for him/her. Now, building for families on the edges of downtown stands a far greater chance of being successful than catering to families right downtown. Of course, this all depends on your perspective of what the core of downtown is.
                    Uh... Grandin has this. We, downtown Edmonton community league, are working on a climbable art piece to be included in the new park we are working on at 105st and 102ave. Keep an open mind with what is there now and what could serve various family needs in a non traditional way.

Comment

A climbable art piece is hardly something a 12 - 17 year old will want to climb. That age group needs outdoor basketball courts, soccer fields, outdoor/indoor arena etc: Even kids of climbing age will tire of one play area in a park. What's a non traditional way?. You tell me.

Comment

Do 12 to 17 yr old climb on playgrounds.... Or climbing walls in gyms. The monkeys in vancouver are climbed on ball people of all ages and love them.

Basketball courtsare in grandin and oliver and i hope to get court downtown. Fields... You mean like in Oliver, rossdale, river dale.

Outdoor skating at city hall, river dale, Vic park, hawr, outdoor hockey in river dale, queen mary, west mount.

Comment

Our mid rise condo has a few kids under 12 and it used to have a couple of teens.

Housing options are more critical as is affordability and schools.

Amenities are quite abound but a few more neighborhood parks and courtyard play/open areas are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by NanO View Post
                            Do 12 to 17 yr old climb on playgrounds.... Or climbing walls in gyms. The monkeys in vancouver are climbed on ball people of all ages and love them.

Basketball courts are in grandin and oliver and i hope to get court downtown. Fields... You mean like in Oliver, rossdale, river dale.

Outdoor skating at city hall, river dale, Vic park, hawr, outdoor hockey in river dale, queen mary, west mount.
                            I must admit you do do your homework. Areas you have mentioned I would consider on the edge of downtown Oliver, Rossdale, etc:
                            Your thread is about making downtown family friendly. My stance is families find living downtown unfriendly. From a point of view of the city trying to get people to live downtown they are using the wrong language. They should encourage people to live on the edge of downtown. Which is most of the areas you have mentioned above. They should be marketing it as 'Come live close to downtown' instead of saying to families 'Come live downtown'. Close to downtown for families sounds more appealing.

Comment

As mentioned, those areas are "downtown" with respect to the topic, semantics.

Comment

Working...
                              X