Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Edmonton

Hello all,

I'm new here, feel free to move my post.

I couldn't find where to place this.

Does anybody have any suggestions of where I can find basements to rent. I hope to move in to Edmonton by Fall and I've seen plenty of sites offering apartments in full or homes but initially, I'd like to rent a basement until I get used to which area would suit me best.

Kind Regards all

Caveat that I've been away from Edmonton for almost two decades, but my first guess would be the student ghetto in the Old Strathcona neighbourhood, and adjacent areas. I knew a few people back in the day who rented basements in houses there.

Comment

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca is a good place to start - it'll have private listings and you'll also find links to other listing sites
      I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

I'm wondering why you're narrowing things to basements. They're not necessarily any less expensive than any other apartment with similar neighborhood and amenities.

Anyway, my favourite site for window shopping for apartments is:

https://www.rentfaster.ca/ab/edmonton/

It will let you select basements.

Comment

Thanks for being friendly guys. I have Lyme Disease and until I make friends, I'd feel a bit safer if a nice family or couple lived upstairs. It's also cheaper if bills are included. I'm 40 now so definitely looking for somewhere less party like, I enjoy music and going out but with Lyme- party days are over.

I'll look at those links! Thank you, I appreciate it.

Comment

^My son who moved to Vancouver last spring did the same thing and for many of the same reasons. Rented a basement apartment for a year with a nice family who owned the home living upstairs.

You sound exactly like the type of person a family/couple living under the same roof would be looking for. After meeting my son, the landlord even offered a size able discount to the posted rent knowing he would have a responsible tenant living there for at least a year.

Comment

Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
              ^My son who moved to Vancouver last spring did the same thing and for many of the same reasons. Rented a basement apartment for a year with a nice family who owned the home living upstairs.

You sound exactly like the type of person a family/couple living under the same roof would be looking for. After meeting my son, the landlord even offered a size able discount to the posted rent knowing he would have a responsible tenant living there for at least a year.
              Thank you indeed! Your help is appreciated!

I like to believe I was raised well at least. Shoes off at door, noise reduction, caring about the impact on your fellow residers and keeping things clean. I'm certainly looking for open minded but easy going, well mannered and deeply caring people. I'm a mix of Conservative and democratic and just starting my own Psychotherapy business both room and online.

I think having had a busy life, Lyme showed me you have to accept ypur health is important, far more than a ladder of success. Who we are is testament to our lives.

I've seen some apartments are part furnished and utilities inclusive, which is great. Next step will be building up a client base in Edmonton. The UK is mental health driven but I don't know much about Alberta despite being Canadian.

Comment

If you're looking to have family on site as your landlord, but want a little more privacy, you may want to try a Garden/Garage suite. These were only approved in the last few years for use in the city to try and improved density in the city, and might fit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                  If you're looking to have family on site as your landlord, but want a little more privacy, you may want to try a Garden/Garage suite. These were only approved in the last few years for use in the city to try and improved density in the city, and might fit your needs.
                  Wow, fantastic! Thank you very much!

Such a helpful bunch

Comment

RentFaster is the best site for Edmonton rentals. You could also check Facebook Marketplace, as I hear that is getting more traction.

Best areas for basement suites is really anywhere. Legal basement suites are permitted use in any residential neighbourhood, you'll just have to narrow down what part of the city you want to live, whether or not you commute to work, etc.
                    www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
                      RentFaster is the best site for Edmonton rentals. You could also check Facebook Marketplace, as I hear that is getting more traction.

Best areas for basement suites is really anywhere. Legal basement suites are permitted use in any residential neighbourhood, you'll just have to narrow down what part of the city you want to live, whether or not you commute to work, etc.
                      Thanks Green..

I've only visited Mcconachie area, which I liked. It's extremely close to the stores, walkable in 5 mins which give me a British feel, like a neighbourhood. Having Lyme I do like a close set of shops to get to.

Maybe I could start there and look around.

I'll check out your suggestion too! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post

my only caution is that while legal basement suites are indeed a permitted use in any residential neighbourhood, that doesn't mean that all basement suites are legal (i.e. adequate electrical service, smoke alarms, proper fire separations etc.).
                        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post

my only caution is that while legal basement suites are indeed a permitted use in any residential neighbourhood, that doesn't mean that all basement suites are legal (i.e. adequate electrical service, smoke alarms, proper fire separations etc.).
                          That's a very good point and I'm no electrician. I will have to work out how to solve that issue. The other option is an apartment that's ground floor with utilties inc but having friends nearish.

Comment

Make sure that if transit access is important that you keep the imminent network redesign in mind. Some areas will be much further away from stops than before.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...ps-routes.aspx
                            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                              Make sure that if transit access is important that you keep the imminent network redesign in mind. Some areas will be much further away from stops than before.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...ps-routes.aspx
                              Thank you Noodle!

I'm very used to London access that even outer London I find intolerable, stood in the rain for 25/40mins for a bus drives me insane. I really hope to drive as I need to be able to hire a room to do therapy. I heard insurance for therapy in a spare room at your own house- gets more expensive.

I'm certainly going to look at the routes. I hope as Edmonton builds up, the network will become excellent. A tram around small cities is a good idea or overhead monorail.

Comment

Working...
                              X